Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Hypothetical question: if you could relocate anywhere in the US where would it be?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 01:06 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
That's pretty typical housing pricing in Seattle too.

Is that the only thing about Alaska that sucks?
Shipping to Alaska sucks unless it fits in a priority flat rate box.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
That's pretty typical housing pricing in Seattle too.

Is that the only thing about Alaska that sucks?
How about almost zero sunlight in the winter plus mosquitoes the size of ravens in the summer.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:05 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Roverrocks
How about almost zero sunlight in the winter plus mosquitoes the size of ravens in the summer.
Hmmm, neither of those apply in Ketchikan. I think I get bit by one mosquito a year here. As for sunlight, we get only slightly less(a few minutes) than Seattle.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Hmmm, neither of those apply in Ketchikan. I think I get bit by one mosquito a year here. As for sunlight, we get only slightly less(a few minutes) than Seattle.
That's good to hear. I'm just jealous because I've never made it to Alaska and sure want to go sometime. As for mosquitoes, the worst place I've ever seen for them anywhere is 30 miles N of where I live. Grand Mesa, Colorado a massive high mesa of numerous lakes and wet areas is horrendous. They WILL eat you on the spot and suck the marrow out of your bones.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:57 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Roverrocks
That's good to hear. I'm just jealous because I've never made it to Alaska and sure want to go sometime. As for mosquitoes, the worst place I've ever seen for them anywhere is 30 miles N of where I live. Grand Mesa, Colorado a massive high mesa of numerous lakes and wet areas is horrendous. They WILL eat you on the spot and suck the marrow out of your bones.
C'mon up. I hear the mosuckers are bad up North, though. You have to realize, I live only 650 miles North of Seattle and 850 miles South of Anchorage by air. No roads since I'm on an island.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:11 AM
6th Gear

Bend, Oregon would be my choice if I could live anywhere. You've the Deschutes and Metolius at your backdoor and the fabulous Umpqua only hours away, the Cascades Range is RIGHT THERE too (which gives a "rain shadow" effect that makes the climate really nice). The remote and rugged John Day area is within an easy drive, regional airport in Redmond, Portland less than three hours. Crater Lake, the Columbia River gorge, deserts and mountains and rivers and lakes and a not-too-outrageous cost of living at a good standing...what's not to like Not to mention Columbia Overland is based there too.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:29 AM
Rock Crawling

That's a good choice. I always liked Oregon. Lots of wild country especially in SE Oregon.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Then why do all my buddies keep moving up there and telling me how great it is.... Could Ketchikan suck that bad...

Yes Ketchikan does suck that bad, as does Sitka. I've been to both spots and I HATE being stuck like that. Also been to Dillingham and Juneau. Dont get me wrong..............beautiful scenic small town places but after 2 weeks I'm sooooooo done with being buddy buddy with everyone and having NO PLACE to go without buying a plane ticket. As for Anchorage, yes its doable(ive been here 10 years already) but I'm sick of it. Last summer RAINED for 33 days straight...............and believe me after the long cold dark winter you WANT and NEED a good sunny summer to recover from the winter and to stop you from wanting to slit your effffin wrists. Not to mention once you've been to Fairbanks, Homer, and Seward you've been just about everyplace. PLUS the state is sooooo dang big that if you want to go alot of places it requires many many many miles of driving and at $4.23 a GALLON right now for 90 octane in my rover I'm NOT planning on traveling that much which is pretty much already crapping on my planned summer camping/wheeling activities. I CAN't go another summer just doing nothing and maybe only going camping or wheeling 3 times again, I just might die. FML!!!!!

Last edited by AKdisco; 03-29-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:38 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Intervention Needed!!!

Originally Posted by AKdisco
Yes Ketchikan does suck that bad, as does Sitka. I've been to both spots and I HATE being stuck like that. Also been to Dillingham and Juneau. Dont get me wrong..............beautiful scenic small town places but after 2 weeks I'm sooooooo done with being buddy buddy with everyone and having NO PLACE to go without buying a plane ticket. As for Anchorage, yes its doable(ive been here 10 years already) but I'm sick of it. Last summer RAINED for 33 days straight...............and believe me after the long cold dark winter you WANT and NEED a good sunny summer to recover from the winter and to stop you from wanting to slit your effffin wrists. Not to mention once you've been to Fairbanks, Homer, and Seward you've been just about everyplace. PLUS the state is sooooo dang big that if you want to go alot of places it requires many many many miles of driving and at $4.23 a GALLON right now for 90 octane in my rover I'm NOT planning on traveling that much which is pretty much already crapping on my planned summer camping/wheeling activities. I CAN't go another summer just doing nothing and maybe only going camping or wheeling 3 times again, I just might die. FML!!!!!
Don’t do anything drastic! Think of your poor Land Rover being stuck up there all alone!

Old 03-29-2011, 01:38 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Goochm
Bend, Oregon would be my choice if I could live anywhere. You've the Deschutes and Metolius at your backdoor and the fabulous Umpqua only hours away, the Cascades Range is RIGHT THERE too (which gives a "rain shadow" effect that makes the climate really nice). The remote and rugged John Day area is within an easy drive, regional airport in Redmond, Portland less than three hours. Crater Lake, the Columbia River gorge, deserts and mountains and rivers and lakes and a not-too-outrageous cost of living at a good standing...what's not to like Not to mention Columbia Overland is based there too.
Don't forget the billions of Jackrabbits you can run over...

Quick Reply: Hypothetical question: if you could relocate anywhere in the US where would it be?