Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Not Land Rover, but I did get to do some off roading today.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2020 | 08:54 PM
|
Camel Trophy
Default Not Land Rover, but I did get to do some off roading today.

Didn't take either of the Discos, but did get to do some off roading today. Here's the copy/paste from the Dodge forum I frequent.

Link to the build thread:
https://ramchargercentral.com/projects/'86-w150-the-blue-two-legger/

Went off roading with a buddy today. It had been raining and the water crossings were up, so we didn't get as far as we'd hoped, but we had a blast. I did manage to get towed out three times. Hydro's the motor once, had to pull the spark plugs. Luckily appears to have not hurt the motor. Once we cleared the water from the cylinders it fired right back up. If I'd had 3 or 4" of lift I would've been fine.

Actually, the second time it died was across a crossing I had already successfully passed, but I made the mistake of slowing down a little. Water splashed over the hood the first pass, but I needed that momentum. And actually, on the one hole that I hydrolocked the motor, it wasn't even up to the rockers. Just hit it a little fast and it washed right into the air cleaner.

All in all, had a blast. I'm not very experienced at water crossings, but definitely enjoyed the experience and I learned from every hole. Definitely need a different air cleaner setup before next time. One that's better sealed. Maybe find a factory intake off a 4 barrel vehicle so the filter isn't open, turn the snorkel around backwards. If anyone has one they wanna let go of real cheap, lemme know.

And yes, that's my wife wading to my rescue so my buddy in his Jeep can pull me out. She had an extra pair of pants with her, I did not. She had a blast, too.

Surprisingly enough, no milkshake in the oil. Gonna check the diffs and trans/transfer case tomorrow probably.

Name:  iyqICFI.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  4.93 MB

The first crossing I got stuck at.

Name:  VvG3gsF.jpg
Size:  3.81 MB

Dog was unhappy.

Name:  SICiHV7.jpg
Size:  3.08 MB

Buddy's Jeep

Name:  d9Raoua.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  2.60 MB

Being hooked up the second time. Thanks wife. I picked the right one.

Name:  EyYm23p.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  4.47 MB

Getting used to this now....

Name:  s0Lc9uH.jpg
Size:  3.74 MB

Forgot to grab a picture of the truck the third time, but here's the engine bay. That air filter got replaced as soon as we were back to town.

Name:  qnAnVGy.jpg
Size:  4.70 MB

Last edited by Alex_M; 03-21-2020 at 08:59 PM.