Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Rooftop Tents!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 09:35 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I figure we could try a group buy and get a damn good deal on them or everyone pitch in some money to buy one for inspection then raffle it off or someone from the group buys everyone else out.
link didnt seem to work.
www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Folding-mobile-car-roof-top-tent_2004673974.html

manually copy and paste the link

Last edited by ls1morethanyou; 05-21-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:09 AM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi Juan, thanks for your quick reply.

The price USD410 does not include the shipping freight.
The air freight is about USD520.
Do you have Chinese agent in China? Maybe it can be send with your other goods.

Thanks and Best Regards
Carol

Well there goes that a cheap RTT, shipping kills it for just one order.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,499 Likes on 1,226 Posts

I figured that would be the case, they wanted almost $100 to ship a double din car stereo

Old 05-22-2015, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

so, how does that work out if we order 10? if shipping is close to same (crate) might work out to under 500 per....

Old 06-10-2015, 04:56 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 215 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Btfsplik
Rooftop tents are very popular here in South Africa, there is a certain feeling of security against roaming carnivores if you are on top of your car. The bad news? - cats can climb. Anyway, there are several very good quality roof top tents that easily conquer all the challenges of nature, wind, rain, snow, bugs, all with a reasonable level of comfort. Fairly easy to put up and down depending on the model you buy, there are still pros and cons to using them. Most of the time the girls prefer a ground tent since it is easier to visit the, um, "loo" in the evening. A ground tent offers a place to sit and do things while the weather is bad, while a RTT is really only for sleeping. You can add an extension on to a ground tent for kitchen facilities, not possible with most RTTs. For me, the biggest pain is that in order to drive around you have to pack it all up every time. BUT A good ground tent is far slower to pack up than a roof top tent. If you plan to do a lot of one night stays, a RTT is the better bet. A lot of guys here have both, and if they plan to stay put, they get comfortable on the ground, if they plan to travel to another campsite the next day, the RTT is preferred.

Your RTT will be as stable as your vehicle suspension. If you roll over, your car will bounce around a bit. I don't want to get into too many details about bouncing cars, though.....

Your car manual will probably offer a maximum recommended roof load that would be far less than two of you in a roof tent, but remember that the recommended loading is probably calculated based on the car moving at speed. Having two people in the tent will only happen once you are stopped, and the roof rack can probably handle the weight without problem. That is not to say a RTT will not affect your center of gravity, particularly if you have a taller 4x4 or SUV. You must take the change of center of gravity into consideration if you do any offroading with a RTT. It will also chow into your fuel economy, you have added a brick on top of your car. There are models available that have hard tops - clamshell and other types - that might be preferred to having canvas flapping around as you drive. A RTT is also NOT cheap! Anyway, see if you can rent one first before buying, try it out on your vehicle and see if you like it!
Enjoy!

BTW; the ladder is the support for the end hanging out of the car. A quality tent will withstand whatever weather comes your way, just as a quality ground tent will. China got into the mix; check out www.longroadcamp.com for some nice looking Chinese RTTs.
They are popular here too but the only time i have seen one used that i thought was a good idea was when i was in Tanzania in 1993 and i saw one on an old 2dr RRC.
I paid not much more for my camper trailer that sleeps 4-6 and i dont need to break my neck going out for a **** at night.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:36 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

loanrangie:
Yeah, they are pricey. However, an advantage over a trailer is that you can really hit some serious off road trails with an RTT while the trailer may be compared metaphorically to driving with an anchor dragging behind you through the bush. Don't get me wrong, I have a little high clearance utility trailer and I pack a ground tent, I like it better and have gone to some pretty remote areas, but to each his own. We Saffers (like you Aussies) have some nice 4x4 trailers with extra clearance, off road tires and brakes, but those are also pricey and often very heavy. And most of those come with RTTs anyway. We couldn't take a run-of-the-mill camper trailer on most of the roads here in Afrika. But an RTT? I am pushing sixty, and I am not going to break my neck taking a pi$$ in the middle of the night either. However, RTT or not, to me the defining factor in camping equipment is how it performs in crappy weather. Are you still sheltered, dry, well fed, clean, rested and comfortable even if the weather stinks? If not, don't expect SWAMBO to ever go camping again. (SWAMBO - She Who Always Must Be Obeyed)

I am curious; what made the one you saw in Tanzania a better idea? Was it a different kind with a better design? Do you have any photos?

A photo of my D2 Td5 towing our trailer in the Botswana Kgalakgadi desert. No more pavement for about 100 kms then no more road for another 100kms. My trailer spent more time in the air than on the ground.

Attached Thumbnails Rooftop Tents!-dscn0501.jpg  

Last edited by Joe Btfsplik; 06-10-2015 at 06:46 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:42 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 215 Likes on 189 Posts

I just meant it was the first time i saw one in use that was appropriate ie sleeping off the ground away from snakes etc, with a family of four i need a trailer anyway with all the crap we need to take so i bought an offroad camper trailer with independent suspension.