Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Too funny for words .............. inevitable

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015 | 06:00 PM
|
Baja

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
I'm not sure if my lack of reaction to this news is cynicism or not but since the story broke I've been struggling to understand why its a big deal. (To clarify, because I assume that all of the manufactures are actively engaged in this behavior)

Ever motorcycle I've ever owned with Fuel injection was mapped to be way too lean in the RPM rev range where the regulating body would test the emissions output of the engine during certification. Every single bike. (I've purchased 10 fuel injected bikes over the years).

There's a whole industry out there in restoring the flat spot in performance due to new motorcycles being leaned out in order to pass emissions. Or, you can get the dealer to remap you to the "track only" fuel map which also rectifies the hole in your mapping.

I'm not sure how the VW case is that much different. The test conducted to measure emissions is not conducted under "real world driving conditions". If the test were more representative of real world driving then the employment of different algorithms to reduce or improve emissions based off of real world situation could also be measured.
I'm with you on this Robert, as the saga develops VW are probably only one of 10 or 20 car makers involved. The 'software hole' in the maps has been around for a decade on bikes and cars and the 'laboratory' testing is far from reality be it emissions, power, reliability or possibly crash analysis, so, can we now assume everything is rigged in the automotive and motobike industries, IMO, I reckon so. Modernisms currently seem to have little to do with reality and the real world be it autos or the financial shenanigans, everything seems rigged to fool the taxpayer and consumer and once you realise that you cease to care about anything or believe anything that is said. Sad world we live in.

Old 09-28-2015 | 05:53 AM
|
Baja

The plot thickens, now all of the VW group are under investigation, VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda, Bentley , VW commercial and they are looking into other manufacturers lines of cars and vans. The Genie is out of the bottle

Old 09-28-2015 | 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Wonder if VW diesels will be getting a lot cheaper on the new car lots or pulled entirely from sale..

Old 10-01-2015 | 05:00 AM
|
Baja

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Wonder if VW diesels will be getting a lot cheaper on the new car lots or pulled entirely from sale..
The worst/sad part is the VW group sales have declined dramatically in the UK and there will be enormous redundancies arising which have already started. Prices of VW's haven't seemed to changed at all but obviously the worst is yet to come and no doubt they will fall in price. Here in France I cannot really comment, there are so few foreign make main agents apart from the French makes and I can imagine they will be as guilty of cheating as VW. It'll take years for the rank and file here even to catch up with the events and I doubt they will even begin understand or care, after all, you can't eat cars .

Old 10-04-2015 | 09:32 AM
|
Baja

Nowhere to hide for ALL the car manufacturers, I have a hatrick of diesels, but do I care ............... not one bit ................ will I lose any sleep ............. not a nano second.

Carmaker Cheating on Emissions Almost as Old as Pollution Tests - Bloomberg Business

Old 10-05-2015 | 12:44 PM
Baja

according to today's wall-street if was only 2 engineers at VW that did it all, Audis chief engineer and Porsche engineer, they felt bad that they could meet the US market so they gaffed the reports. Sure Two guys did it all by themselves, because they felt bad they could meet their goal. what a load of BS

Old 10-05-2015 | 11:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by drowssap
according to today's wall-street if was only 2 engineers at VW that did it all, Audis chief engineer and Porsche engineer, they felt bad that they could meet the US market so they gaffed the reports. Sure Two guys did it all by themselves, because they felt bad they could meet their goal. what a load of BS
Amazing, lets throw those poor sods under the bus in the hope that we get out of this with our pensions intact.

I'll be stunned if most of the manufacturers are not gaming emissions tests.

Old 10-06-2015 | 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Reminds me of the TV show Better off Ted. They make a product that goes bad and they ask for a volunteer to take the blame in the press.

Old 10-06-2015 | 01:26 PM
1st Gear

hello i cant find a place to right the thread to ask this question. I have a 2011 range rover hse. its in the shop due to the recall on the brake lines. they are saying the driver side rear caliber needs replaced because the bleed screw is leaking. They cant replace the screw? The entire caliber needs replaced? they want to to charge me for brake fluid flush and to bleed the brakes. wont they need to bleed them because they changed the brake lines?