General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Pioneer Head Unit in P38 (Clean GPS Install)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 08:49 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Pioneer Head Unit in P38 (Clean GPS Install)

I posted this on RR.Net but figured there were lots of others who may be interested in reading about it. Here goes nothing

After getting used to having GPS and bluetooth integration and ipod functionality in my BMW, I had to do something with the Rangie. I also wanted it clean.
They have these silly cubby holes for keys up where I felt the gps should go (this one had the ugly wood on it)

So I looked around on here and found three options that had been done:

1. Carputer with touch screen. Very complex, huge headaches, etc. But loked nice
2. GPS like a Garmin put in - limited additional capabilities, usually looked goofy.
3. Dual din head unit - had to be mounted where the OEM radio is which, to me, just looked a little off - though certainly a good option.

So I looked around and tried to figure out how I could get a GPS to look cleanly installed where the factory version went. If I could also get an iPod and bluetooth phone out of it, would be a total win.

So off I went looking around.

Ended up deciding upon an AVIC-F500BT which provides bluetooth, back up camera, ipod integration, and GPS. It also is only about an inch deep thus allowing it to be installed wheere the cubbyhole sits

Unit

It sounded good, but I had no way to run the sound from the AVIC to the Range Rover head unit unless I used a cassete adaptor which was ugly in my opinion. Then I found this: ICD Auxiliary Audio Input Interface / ICD iPod Adapter

It allowed you to replace the CD changer (which I never use) with an aux input. So now, whenever I change the head unit to CD, it plays whatever is coming through that box.

So I bought a second dash trim which I gave to my installers, along with the unit, last week

And updated the unit's software

So then, onto the cutting of the new dash trim

Fitting unit

Taking out head unit

You can see the box here that converts cd to aux

Here is the backside of the trim with the new nav glued in place and the clock and sensor reinstalled

Finally installed in the car

Plays DVDs over ipod

ipod integration for music

GPS

Old 04-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

pretty sharp