Range Rover L322 (3rd Gen) Talk about the Land Rover Range Rover L322 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 RR HSV So many problems... all electrical

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 08:49 PM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 04 RR HSV So many problems... all electrical

Hello all,

I am new here... I don't usually come to forums to ask questions, but just read and find everyone else's questions and answers. That normally is enough for me to figure out everything I need to know... so me being here is basically me throwing in the towel and asking for help. I might have bitten off more than I can chew...

Alright... so, I'll start with my exact vehicle. To the best of my knowledge it's a 2004 Range Rover HSV. Honestly, I don't know what more anyone wants to know as I think these things all came with the same engines and transmissions in America. Its not supercharged or anything... just the normal BMW V8. Now onto the problems...

A. Massive Missfire - So I have no idea what happened... I had the vehicle parked in my garage and one day it ran fine... the next day I went out to start it... ran like garbage. Hardly would stay running and would idle at about 200rpm. Turns out the entire left side of the engine (drivers side... I think pistons 1-4) of the engine isn't firing. I didn't really do a scientific test or anything, but after I shut it off, the Cat on the drivers side was cold, and the Cat on the passengers side was quite hot. I have no idea what caused this... one day it was fine... the next day I lost half the engine. I've got nothing on this one.

B. Leaking Coolant/Oil - I can't pin this one down. I can't decide if it is just leaking off of something from someone spilling it, or if it is genuinely a problem. I once had it running, and then shut it off and it decided to dump oil from who knows where. Got online and they claimed it would (possibly) be the PCV system. One nightmare later (I won't go into details) I got the new PCV system in place. Started it up, ran fine, no leaking... cool... then it just dribbled a little coolant from who knows where. Came out the next day and there was some oil on the ground... not a lot... but still.

C. The Rear Blower Motor - Again... no idea why... I received the Rover with the center console completely torn apart. Reassembled everything and put it back together. No issues. Turned off the electrics and turned them back on and all of a sudden the rear blower motor was on at full tilt. Why... I have no idea... at the moment my solution was to remove the fuse.

D. HVAC Controls - Everything (except the rear blower motor) runs fine. The front blower motor works beautifully. But I can't redirect the air. At the moment its just stuck to blowing on the windshield. Not the biggest problem... but I want to fix it anyways.

E. Mirrors - I don't even know in this one. You press the button on the door (I think it is to fold the mirrors?) and they just start flapping about. No joke... I don't even know on this one. Have seen that if you have issues with your key, this can be an issue for you... but why? Why are they even related?

Things that were wrong but I already fixed:

PCV, Broken Rear Drivers/Passengers door windows, Broken Rear Drivers/Passengers door motors, Reconnected Door Speakers, Would not start (key wouldn't turn) found temporary solution, Windows Resynced, and honestly other stuff that I just can't remember at this moment.

Story time...

I bought this thing as a project. The guy that sold it to me bought it off CoPart because the Original Owner cheated on his wife, she didn't like that, and she took it out on this poor RR. The only damage she did was brake the 2 rear windows, key the paint, and then spray paint some naughty words on it. Somehow this was enough for the insurance company to total it out. The guy I bought it off of planned to fix it, but one day it wouldn't start (key issue) so he said nope and jumped ship. I bought it knowing how to bypass the immobilizer thinking I could get a fairly nice vehicle for a bit of work and for fairly cheap. I got all the paint off, fixed the windows, and was about to start fixing the paint when my engine started its massive missfire issue. I am just starting to loose my mind on this thing and am starting to wonder if I bit off more than I can chew.

Last edited by atv_123; 06-30-2020 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:30 AM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, as an update, I managed to fix both A and B. That can be seen over here in this post here.

I am still looking for any pointers on the rest though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.