Range Rover Sport L320 (2005-2013) Talk about the Land Rover Range Rover Sport within.

Help out a first time buyer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 09:40 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help out a first time buyer?

Would love some opinions from the Range Rover community. First time Range Rover buyer here. Currently in a full size, lifted Chevy suburban. Looking to downsize a little and get something a little more nimble. Want something good for long distances road trips too (think 600+ miles). Also something that can handle the occasional camp/fishing trip.

Here's one I'm looking at https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/7a1f4bdc-8432-4ead-8e39-4a2eeac8d364/?aff=acqmar80&bac=acqmar80&gclid=CjwKCAjww-CGBhALEiwAQzWxOo98XpeAflR9RmGnqBAJJEzykaEI5LU0NYkT j0NeWYys7bLBVGriHBoCQdIQAvD_BwE

What should I be looking for in one of these? Also, what are your thoughts on the L320 vs the L322? Either have a leg up on one another in terms of reliability, off road capabilities, comfort etc?

I think I read that in terms of drivetrain/transmission and engine I'd ideally want the Jag 5.0 V8 and the 6 speed transmission?

​​​​​​​Thanks in advance for any insight.

Old 08-25-2021, 10:50 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You pull the trigger?

Old 08-25-2021, 11:49 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adigerol77
You pull the trigger?
I did not. Decided to just stick with my 07 Suburban and keep tinkering with it.

Old 08-25-2021, 04:13 PM
Winching

I'm picking my first RR up on Monday, I'll say after having 2 disco's the RR is a dream and a nightmare in many ways. But I do like the jag engine, but knowing the head won't warp bc of bad casting is fantastic. Also knowing it's got new air sus that'll last about 8 more years hopefully, but also being able to change over to coil overs takes that issue out of the mix.

Old 10-02-2021, 07:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,166 Likes on 841 Posts

Originally Posted by adigerol77
I'm picking my first RR up on Monday, I'll say after having 2 disco's the RR is a dream and a nightmare in many ways. But I do like the jag engine, but knowing the head won't warp bc of bad casting is fantastic. Also knowing it's got new air sus that'll last about 8 more years hopefully, but also being able to change over to coil overs takes that issue out of the mix.
So, how has your first month of ownership gone? Seriously thinking about a 2012 range rover, and your "nightmare in many ways" has me somewhat concerned. Do you happen to know the towing compacity of the RR?

Thank you in advance.

Old 10-06-2021, 07:16 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by The Deputy
So, how has your first month of ownership gone? Seriously thinking about a 2012 range rover, and your "nightmare in many ways" has me somewhat concerned. Do you happen to know the towing compacity of the RR?

Thank you in advance.
https://www.carsguide.com.au/land-ro...-capacity/2011

So I changed out the sway bar bushings, once that was done the control arms needed replaced, got a death wobble worse than any disco I've ever owned, having issues with the warranty co as they're trying to not cover it but it'll work itself out. Did develop an exhaust leak drivers side that is covered, I'll deal with that in due time. So far it's everything I wanted and more and drives like a fn dream. It's funny, I keep my eye on the temp gauge like it'll tell me anything like I was driving a disco lol. You can tell the systems are 10yrs old compared to todays cars, or even the '17 Ram I sold, back up cam sucks lol but I don't even use it. I'm hoping to have everything changed out to new before the warranty runs out LOL...one issue I did notice that LR never fixed unless they did on the newer 322's, rust under the trunk lid and that little wing between the lid and gate...the car started life in the mid-west and I know the old RR gates rusted like a ****, again, I'll get that sorted out eventually.