Retired - Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Anything for sale by private owner. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

custom bumper building

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude you are an artist! So My wife hit a big chocolate lab late one night and blew up her front bumper on her dII. She wants me to buy a factory plastic cover and put it back.. I refused, so the compromise we came up with was that I would get her a steal bumper built to look very factory and clean and I will paint it the factory color( I'm a professional painter) and she will give up the factory plastic crap. so I saw a bumper built on here that she likes, and
I want to see what your thoughts are on this, and would you be interested in trying to build it. I don't need it painted or any finish work just grind and finish the welds and ship it raw. I will finish sand and surface prep the metal and do all the painting. I don't need an anchor points for her.[HTMLhttps://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/homemade-bumper-installed-56591/][/HTML]

I don't want it quite so tall. I think it's just a bit thick top to bottom, but I want the fog lights mounted in the bumper, the factory lights get smashed of you drive through tall grass! I can weld in any mounts for lights or any of that, I just don't have a welder big enough to build the bumper itself. but please give me your thoughts, you are the pro with this stuff. I like how this looks like the factory 03-04 bumper but metal

Last edited by suzukisam967m; 10-10-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:20 PM
Mudding

thanks for the compliment! building you one like that is not a problem. I would say that bump is around 8 to 10 inches tall. I have some 6 inch channel i could build it out of. the only thing that i dont like about it is how the corners are bent. if you look at the front view picture you can see that the ends are just a little off. its hard getting two sides the same when you are using the heat and bend method. i would rather make a smooth corner.

anyhow i can do it any way you want. If you want to do just a straight 6" bumper with no recovery points or anything else i could put you one together like that for about 250 plus your shipping. last one i shipped cost 80 bucks and it weighed 98lbs. this one should be a little bit lighter.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Mudding

I'm cool with however you want to build it. My major concerns are that it hugs the body lines. I don't want it to protrude from the front of the car at all. maybe an inch or so. I just like the way it curves and I also like the wheel well contour from the side view.. I don't mind if it is backed off the tires a little for some clearance, but I want a very "factory look". When I build mine we can get a little more manly with it.. Also if it can be contoured maybe a little from the edges of the grill back very slightly under the headlights and then turn back under the fenders that might make it look a little less like I bolted a 2x6 to the front of the truck..

Old 10-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Mudding

yeah i would build it just like the one you like. would just be a little thinner and a little more of a corner instead of that curve. just easier to get it right. will still be a smooth corner though. just let me know when you wanna do it. i will send you a pm for how i do payment and shipping.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robertmirwin
i can do a copy of that for 500 plus shipping. that will include black paint. powder coating will run you another 100 to 150 bucks. That one weighed in at 98lbs so shipping was 82 bucks. Its just small enough that it can be shipped ups ground so it can go right to your front door.
Not trying to talk down about your work, I actually like this one (I'd change a few things to fit my personal preferences) but $500 is used RTE/SafariGard/Tactical Rovers territory...

Old 10-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Mudding

"USED" being they keyword. Ask We-go-up about his bumper i built him. Anything i build is going to be stronger than what they sell you. When i build a bumper i build it with the intention of it being the strongest thing there is. The stinger style bump i am working on now may just look like a plate and some tubes but all the plate work is 1/2" steel! I build with the intention of ABUSE! after all we do all drive the best trail rigs on the face of the earth. why not give it some armor that isnt some 1/8" plate welded together.

glad you like it!

Old 10-10-2013, 11:27 PM
Pro Wrench

I don't doubt the strength at all. I can't speak for SG and tactical rovers but I know my rovertym is STOUT. Its all 1/4". 1/2" just sounds a lil overkill and stupid heavy. The rear bumper I bought used weighs about 100 lbs without the swing aways. I can't imagine what a 1/2" plate bumper would weigh!

Old 10-10-2013, 11:36 PM
Pro Wrench

I also hold fab work to a very high standard...but I can't help it when stuff like this is in my buddies shop!
Name:  photobucket-12343-1381465890976_zps03d0f96a.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  70.5 KB
Ultra 4 car that will run KOH 2014. Don't mind all the **** piled on it, they were weighing it to get an idea of final weight. Its nuts seeing that thing start out as a set of trail gear 9s

Old 10-11-2013, 07:33 AM
Mudding

who needs bumpers or sliders much less a land rover when you got that thing!

As far as weight that stinger style i am working on with the 1/2" plate is going to weigh somewhere between 75-90 lbs. I am not knocking any of the stuff that any company puts out at all. A decked out rover wearing a full suit of tactical rover armor looks SWEET!! but not everyone can afford that stuff and what i build is not going to be a cookie cutter anything. I am going to build what you want

Old 10-11-2013, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,485 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by CUpgt
I also hold fab work to a very high standard...but I can't help it when stuff like this is in my buddies shop!

Ultra 4 car that will run KOH 2014. Don't mind all the **** piled on it, they were weighing it to get an idea of final weight. Its nuts seeing that thing start out as a set of trail gear 9s
I like the tusks..

Attached Thumbnails custom bumper building-pic-walrus-01.jpg  

Quick Reply: custom bumper building