ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

Cross Country Trip Kickoff

Old 04-21-2019, 09:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Cross Country Trip Kickoff

I’ve posted before about the 99 D2 I bought in SoCal last fall. Thanks to John at Union Jack 4x4 and everyone on the forum for their advice while we were prepping for the trip.

We we head out tomorrow. Orange County to St George UT. I have a couple days of business in UT, then we’ll head to Yellowstone, Tetons, Deadwood, Mt Rushmore, and more, before visiting family and friends in Iowa and Michigan before heading home to Maryland.

Weve added an UltraGauge and a Bluetooth JVC stereo, a pair of lights on a front bar, and a steel rear bumper (after being hit the day we picked it up in September). The truck is fully serviced, the tool roll is full, and we’ve got plenty of snacks and water.

I thought i would report on the trip here, if anyone is interested. I’ll share what I learn about the car during the trip.

Looking forward to the trip!

Old 04-21-2019, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Safe travels, look forward to seeing the progress

The following users liked this post:
Shmockiebaby (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 10:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 708 Likes on 596 Posts

Sounds like an epic trip! I have only taken one trip so far in my LR3, or any Rover for that matter, and only from Wisconsin through North and South Dakota then back. A big circle. I do these trips a couple times each yet and being in a Rover just does not compare to the others I drove on these trips. Good luck and happy travels. Which way you getting to Michigan? Through Chicago, heading up and around the UP or taking the car ferry from Manitowoc?

Old 04-21-2019, 11:34 PM
Three Wheeling

We really wanted to do the UP, Mackinac, and all that. But we just don’t have enough time. So we’ll just skirt past Chicago and head up to Grand Rapids, where our goddaughter and her family live.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:12 AM
Three Wheeling

The week before our trip, the brake lines on my father-in-law’s 1987 Toyota truck rusted out. Being in Southern California, it was easy to go to a pick your part and find some good ones. Unfortunately, they were a bit long to carry all the way back. So my son had the bright idea of tying them to the frame on the bottom of the Land Rover. They are all ready for the trip.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:50 PM
Three Wheeling

Day one. Anaheim CA to St George UT. Stopped in Baker (known for the giant thermometer) for lunch, and ran into a musician friend who had just played a festival in Vegas. That was a nice surprise.

385 miles, running with cruise set at 80 (indicated on speedo). Disco loves 70 mph - my son told me that was the sweet spot from driving it for the last 5-6 months while it was at his house. At 80, the wind noise went up a lot, especially in the winds of the high desert. Whichever side of the car was downwind had the most wind noise, as the cross wind tries to pull the window frame outwards. At 70, even when windy, no problem. But we wanted to cover miles today, so we dealt with it.

14.2 mpg, according to UltraGauge. This includes a long 16 mile grade up, and a long 10 mile grade down. Ignore the miles and time to empty, fuel remaining on the Ultra - I am doing something wrong in setting that up. Need to do some research.

A big part of today was showing my wife the Virgin River Gorge, where I-15 cuts through the corner of AZ into UT. Spectacular 10 mile stretch of road, highly recommended.

I learned the cruise functions today too. I was a bit baffled at first, because the resume is also the cancel. Once I got that, all set. Cruise worked well, perhaps because car spent its life in SoCal traffic and it never got used.

Tomorrow I work locally, then we head to Salina UT, less than 3 hours away. Should be an easy day.

Last edited by Shmockiebaby; 04-22-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Man that thing is clean underneath! Have a safe trip and snap some pictures out the window.

Brian.

Shmockiebaby (04-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 10:04 PM
Three Wheeling

Yes indeed, the Disco is still like new underneath. I work in the heavy truck industry, and I've seen a product called Zero Rust. I've made contact with one of their people about using that over the factory paint, to try to prevent corrosion. I'm also planning to spray the inside. As soon as I get home!

I have not taken a lot of photos so far, because we've mostly been driving. My wife has taken a bunch of shots. For now, here's a couple of shots of the southern UT mountains while heading north on I-15 on Monday. I hope to have better photos after I leave Salt Lake for Jackson WY on Friday.

Today we I-15 north to I-70 east, from St George UT to Salina UT. I have the Ultra Gauge set to alarm at 210 degrees. It went off three times during long climbs, with the truck on cruise at 80 mph (the speed limit in that section of road). I rolled it back to an indicated 73 mph, and it was fine the rest of the way. And the wind noise was much better.

I now have about 585 miles, and the mileage has crept up to 14.5 for the full trip. If I keep it at 75 or less, it should continue in that range, and hopefully get a bit better during the flat stretches through the center of the USA.

The Deputy (04-30-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 09:48 PM
Three Wheeling

Salina UT to Salt Lake City. Up to a total of 760 miles, and the mpg has crept up to 15 now. No longer running 80, even if that is the speed limit. Disco is happier at 75, mileage is better, and less wind noise. Short day, but ended in traffic, so just as well.

Tomorrow is my last day of work, and then Friday it’s on to ID, WY, MT, and more. Found out last night that southern entry to Yellowstone isn’t open until May 10, so that extends our route a bit. Only needed to change one night’s hotel.

Still killing lots of bees. Now I finally understand the beehive logo on the UT highway signs.

Amazing mountains, but many more yet to come.

Bees. Windshield looks like we lost a paintball battle.

I don’t care what your denomination, the Mormon temple in SLC is impressive.

Last edited by Shmockiebaby; 04-24-2019 at 09:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Shmockiebaby:
Richard Gallant (05-06-2019), The Deputy (04-30-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 10:40 PM
Three Wheeling

Left SLC this morning. Took 80E to 89 to 26 to Jackson Hole. Great scenery along the way. Nice lunch too.

Uo to 15.7 mpg, cruising two-lane roads at 70 mph today. 1,062 mile so far.

Seems from the morning warm-up that the t-stat is a 200 or 210. Watching the ultra gauge, you can see it open and close.

Auto climate control working on cold mornings and warm afternoons. That’s important, it’s getting colder where we are going.

Antler arch in Afton WY. Right across the Main Street.

Mileage continues to improve. Temp runs 204-206 all day.

Behind the Disco is a glass building full of rotating racks of vegetables. Butter lettuce looked incredible. Vertical urban garden in Jackson WY

Arrived.

Wife took this photo on the way into Jackson.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cross Country Trip Kickoff