ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

Cross Country Trip Kickoff

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 05:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Today was from Grand Rapids MI to Somerset PA (on turnpike, east of Pittsburgh). 6 ½ hours. Mostly on cruise control on OH Tpke and PA Tpke. Uneventful. Listened to podcasts on my wife’s phone via the new JVC stereo. Some rain, some sun, just a boring highway day along roads that we’ve traveled many times before.

Sometimes a boring day like this can be very relaxing.

Tomorrow, visit family in Boonsboro MD and then on to home by around 4pm. Looking forward to that.

On a Land Rover mention, the ignition switch was getting very stiff. Before the trip, I had dribbled some lock lube on a key, and run it thru the lock cylinder a few times. It gradually got stiff again. I noticed that the oil bottle had a slot shaped applicator with a small hole that you could insert into a lock and squirt. So I did this, and worked it around a bit. Then it started to get just a little stiff again. And now, 2-3 days later, it is just like butter. Pulling the key out, starting the car, etc, It’s like brand new now.

I’ll give a full report of the numbers and stats when the trip is done.

Our nieces helped to fill in the state map on the inside of our tailgate.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:53 PM
Three Wheeling

I should have provided a full status on the Disco today. Checked coolant yesterday morning, and it’s good. Checked again this morning, still right on the cool level line. I think the air is out of the system. Runs all day between 195 - 203. I think now that it might be a 200 degree t-stat.

Oil Level is still full, dark golden, condition still looks great. The Ultra Gauge oil change alarm came on at 3,000 mile oil change interval. So each time we start the car, hold the down button briefly to kill the alarm. When I get home, I plan to take the Disco to the local Land Rover dealer for an oil and filter change. I always like to see the dealership, how they handle their customers, and their reaction to dealing it hit the older models. And it’s a pain to drop off the used oil. And I’ll get a genuine filter.

Today’s long drive very routine. Looking forward to getting the Disco into my own driveway tomorrow!

Old 05-04-2019, 04:12 PM
Three Wheeling

Must add 3,000 to the trip odometer. Easy to remember, because the Ultra Gauge 3,000 mile oil change reminder alarms every time I start the truck.

Final mileage 16.3, for the entire trip. We saw it get as high as 16.5 a couple of times, even yesterday. But I think it’s going to wind up being the mileage number for this truck in the long term.

Last night on the road.
Home! It’s really great to be back after 19 days gone for me and 17 days gone for my wife. Great trip, but so glad to be home.

Really pleased with the Disco. 3,871 miles. Almost completely trouble free. Really, for what we invested, it was a killer deal. And It all starts with a good vehicle. Maintained by one shop for 15 years. Rust free SoCal vehicle. Thoroughly serviced before the trip. All maintenance and repairs current, or brought current before leaving.

With all of that in mind, well cared for and maintained, I’d drive a Disco anywhere. Absolutely anywhere.

I have a lot of catching up to do, but I think maybe tomorrow (if it doesn’t rain) I’ll take a few shots of the truck, a little “tour” of the Disco that I’ve been writing about for two weeks.

For now, I just need to focus on proving to my dogs that I am deserving of their loyalty after being gone so long.....