ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

Doomsday Preppers

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 11:54 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
You can buy that type of trailer on govliquidation.com frequently.
Yeah, that would be the plan. With Fort Lewis (Army base) so close by there are usually a couple for sale all of the time. A couple guys in a local club I'm involved in have them nicely restored. With everything going on right now, I just don't have the time to try to tackle a project like that...maybe someday *sigh*

Old 02-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Govliquidation is the best and worst thing that has happened to me since hunter orange high life cans.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Govliquidation.....neat, but didn't find one of interest.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

They have 389 surplus lots at this time that have the word "trailer" in description. Government Liquidation

Old 02-18-2012, 06:52 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the trailer I have. Its currently in the garage getting some "upgrades." They include 2 #40 forklift lp tanks, 30 gal fresh water tank, on demand water heater, 12vdc/solar power, and a slide out kitchen (currently in engineering).
On the right side is a mount for a 30 ft (in sections) tower assembly for a radio antenna/cell booster/etc. The sections fit under the bed.
The best thing I have done to date is getting the spray bed liner.
It pulls like a dream on the road, and doesn't seem to mind trails.
The trick is to keep the weight down and semi balanced.

Attached Thumbnails Doomsday Preppers-tent-trailer.jpg  
Old 02-18-2012, 07:57 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I dont need a camper, I have a cabin in my safe zone with LP, woodstove, small lake with drinkable water, lots of deer, turkey, pheasants, etc.
Its 5 miles down a dirt road and then another mile down a 2 track to get to it.
The town it is near is 10 miles away and so big the gas station is also the post office, bar, auto parts store and grocery store.
Think "Northern Exposure" type of town.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:56 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

When I was in Iraq...

One of my tasks were to keep 19 eletrical grids fully functioning...

If you've ever been in the desert you know that sand gets in everything and everywhere...

I took one of those trailers...

Put a plastic tank on it that held, oh I dont know, 500 gals?
Plumbed that out to a 220 volt water pump to which I had plumbed to a pressure washer.

I took a 220v generator, the types that run construction lights, and installed it in the front of the trailer, in front of the 500 gal tank. That ran my water pump.

I added a 5000watt 220v --> 110v converter so I could have 220v and 110v running off the trailer.

Put two poles in the back of the trailer and attached halogen lights on the top for lighting at night if I needed it.

Also plumbed in a hand washing station that mounted to the side.

110v also ran a smaller air compressor so I would have air for filters etc.

Attached a couple 220v and 110v outlets all over the place...

Pulled that thing with my humvee...

I'll see if I can find a picture here somewhere...

Had a very successful deployment, generators ran the whole year nonstop unless if we brought them down for maintenance. Yes we did have a mishap or two but myself and my gen mechanic, Kacie, managed to get out of there with the job well done.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Have any more detailed shots? Is that a 3/4 ton trailer?

Originally Posted by ranewman
This is the trailer I have. Its currently in the garage getting some "upgrades." They include 2 #40 forklift lp tanks, 30 gal fresh water tank, on demand water heater, 12vdc/solar power, and a slide out kitchen (currently in engineering).
On the right side is a mount for a 30 ft (in sections) tower assembly for a radio antenna/cell booster/etc. The sections fit under the bed.
The best thing I have done to date is getting the spray bed liner.
It pulls like a dream on the road, and doesn't seem to mind trails.
The trick is to keep the weight down and semi balanced.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
when i was in iraq...

One of my tasks were to keep 19 eletrical grids fully functioning...

If you've ever been in the desert you know that sand gets in everything and everywhere...

I took one of those trailers...

Put a plastic tank on it that held, oh i dont know, 500 gals?
Plumbed that out to a 220 volt water pump to which i had plumbed to a pressure washer.

I took a 220v generator, the types that run construction lights, and installed it in the front of the trailer, in front of the 500 gal tank. That ran my water pump.

I added a 5000watt 220v --> 110v converter so i could have 220v and 110v running off the trailer.

Put two poles in the back of the trailer and attached halogen lights on the top for lighting at night if i needed it.

Also plumbed in a hand washing station that mounted to the side.

110v also ran a smaller air compressor so i would have air for filters etc.

Attached a couple 220v and 110v outlets all over the place...

Pulled that thing with my humvee...

I'll see if i can find a picture here somewhere...

Had a very successful deployment, generators ran the whole year nonstop unless if we brought them down for maintenance. Yes we did have a mishap or two but myself and my gen mechanic, kacie, managed to get out of there with the job well done.

sweet!!

Old 02-24-2012, 12:47 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
I dont need a camper, I have a cabin in my safe zone with LP, woodstove, small lake with drinkable water, lots of deer, turkey, pheasants, etc.
Its 5 miles down a dirt road and then another mile down a 2 track to get to it.
The town it is near is 10 miles away and so big the gas station is also the post office, bar, auto parts store and grocery store.
Think "Northern Exposure" type of town.
You could use a bug out trailer though. It could take you several days or weeks to get to your cabin depending on the reason for going there. Worst case scenario of course. But isn't that what we plan for so that it hopefully won't happen?

I need to pick up a trailer...I had the framework for one a while back but abandoned it in hopes of finding one with more steel than rust...

Quick Reply: Doomsday Preppers