Series I, II, IIa, III Land Rovers For all Series Land Rovers

Land rover series 3 wont clutch/gearbox issue, it wont go into gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 01:35 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Land rover series 3 wont clutch/gearbox issue, it wont go into gear

Land rover series 3 wont clutch/gearbox issue.
I have recently purchased my land rover *** a non runner. I now have it running but not moving.
When the engine isn't running I think that can select all 5 gears fine. I say "I think" because I can move the gear lever to make it stay in place - however the reverse pin seems to move twice as far as the forward pins.
When the engine is running I can move the gearstick into all 4 forward gears fine (presuming the pins are at full extend) but trying to select reverse just crunches. I have disconnected the driveshaft and started the engine with a gear selected, hoping that the clutchplate will unstick but no matter which gear I select (including reverse) the driveshaft doesn't turn when I release the clutch pedal.
At first I thought it was a clutch issue and so replaced the master and slave cylinder - this made no difference. The system is bled. I have searched previous threads but can't find anything that helps me out so your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Old 01-09-2024, 07:02 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi , does it have an overdrive fitted ? Because if you put the overdrive into neutral you can select any gear you wish with engine running an it won't turn the driveshafts.
Maybe the end of the gearstick is worn and not positioning itself correctly.
Worn reverse gear ? Or reverse gear fork not lined up correctly inside the gearbox. That is the hardest one to line up, as the gear cog keeps slipping forward.

Hope this helps.
wow

Old 01-10-2024, 01:56 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Worn out Willie
Hi , does it have an overdrive fitted ? Because if you put the overdrive into neutral you can select any gear you wish with engine running an it won't turn the driveshafts.
Maybe the end of the gearstick is worn and not positioning itself correctly.
Worn reverse gear ? Or reverse gear fork not lined up correctly inside the gearbox. That is the hardest one to line up, as the gear cog keeps slipping forward.

Hope this helps.
wow
Thank you for your reply. No overdrive, I may look into adding this at a later date.
One of my problems was that the transfer box had slipped into neutral, hence why driveshaft was not turning whilst starting the engine.
However, my other problem is that my clutch doesn't seem to be engaging the flywheel. With the clutch to the floor, when the engine is on, I just have crunching when I try to select a gear. I have replaced the clutch master and slave cylinders, and bleed the system. I can put the clutch all the way down on first and second press but then the pedal stops about halfway down on the following presses, if I raise the clutch back up and wait a couple of seconds I can press it back down to the floor again.

Any ideas for this? Or, should I start a new thread?

Old 01-10-2024, 02:52 AM
Overlanding

Seems to be the slave cylinder. Check you have the nipple at the top. I would bleed it again though..
wow.

Old 01-10-2024, 12:00 PM
6th Gear

Hi Wow, thanks for your reply. I thought that I had correctly bled the clutch but perhaps not.
Please correct me if I am wrong:
  • Glass coffee jar on the floor with one end of the hose submerged in brake fluid and the other end attached to the nipple of the slave cylinder.
  • With the nipple backed off 1/4 turn, I fill the reservoir at the master cylinder and tighten the lid.
  • Pump the clutch peddle until almost at the floor, hold it there for 2 seconds and allow peddle to return to the top before repeating the process three times.
  • On the third push of the peddle I hold it down until the bleed nipple is tightened up.

Old 01-10-2024, 12:20 PM
Overlanding

The way I and a pal do it is this.

Top up the reservoir.
Get someone ready to slacken the bleed nipple.
Pump the pedal till it gets hard.
Tell your mate to open the nipple for a cpl seconds, but close it before the pedal hits the floor. You should get air out this way. Maybe need a tray to catch the wee drop fluid.
You might have to do it a cpl of times to get it right..I used to do it with a jar and a hose. Not now.

Always close the nipple before you let the clutch out.
Where are you ?

Old 01-10-2024, 12:32 PM
6th Gear

I'm near to Runcorn, in Cheshire

Old 01-10-2024, 01:15 PM
Overlanding

You working in a garage?
If so, lucky you.

Just remember pressure down, open nipple and close before the pedal hits the deck. I do my brakes that way too.
Don't forget to keep reservoir topped up.

The following users liked this post:
mcmorineg (01-10-2024)
Old 01-10-2024, 01:16 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Worn out Willie
The way I and a pal do it is this.

Top up the reservoir.
Get someone ready to slacken the bleed nipple.
Pump the pedal till it gets hard.
Tell your mate to open the nipple for a cpl seconds, but close it before the pedal hits the floor. You should get air out this way. Maybe need a tray to catch the wee drop fluid.
You might have to do it a cpl of times to get it right..I used to do it with a jar and a hose. Not now.

Always close the nipple before you let the clutch out.
Where are you ?
Sounds like a good plan. I will have ago on Sunday and let you know the result. I have just tried the gravity method but although I thought I'd gotten rid of all the air, the clutch pedal still goes hard after two pumps.