Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

The official TRIARII build

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 12:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

My truck is an investment.

I haven't made a payment on it since 2003. That's an investment with returns (even though it is just a spare vehicle--at the ready, these days). Investments don't only have to be something you can sell for more, they can be something that stops the F-ing BLEED that is financial life in 'Merica.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:15 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Spring 2016

Old 12-08-2016, 09:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Lobster of the air!!!!

Old 12-08-2016, 10:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Looking good Julian!
my D2 is down for what I thought initially was a front cover gasket plus timing chain and oil pump that has now turned into a full on head gasket redo.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:05 PM
TReK
Default Persistant misfires

Ive been busy sorting out various things on my rig, seems when I address one problem something new pops up. The misfires have been a problem since I picked up the truck in late January 2016. Ive replaced several componets commonly associated with misfires. But its worth mentioning that along with a new reman block from Turner, I had my mechanic install new champion spark plugs, magnecore ignition wires, Bosch front o2 sensors etc. I replaced the plugs and wires again afew months later along with a new set of AllMakes4x4 ignition coils. Engine still misfired. Fast forward to the present, last week I replaced the spark plugs for a third time, made sure they were at the proper gap spec, ensured the ignition wires were tight and coils were in good. Next I replaced all the fuel injectors with a set of reman Bosch genuine injectors. Today several pending misfire codes popped up on the ultra guage. Im gonna drop the truck off at the shop next week AGAIN for another look over but Im completly at loss. I will be reaching out to Turner as well.

Any thoughts?

PS: After replacing another SAI hose/pipe and the solenoid the SAI trouble codes have retired and no new trouble/pending codes indicating any air leaks or lean issues in the system.

Last edited by TRIARII; 12-09-2016 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Have you been able to determine where the misfire is/what cylinder?
At some point you'll need to stop replacing parts and start troubleshooting.
You might have a bad coil. Yes bad right out of the box, it happens. If you can narrow it down to what cylinder you can start swapping plugs/wires/coilpacks to identify which is the bad part.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
You might have a bad coil. Yes bad right out of the box, it happens. If you can narrow it down to what cylinder you can start swapping plugs/wires/coilpacks to identify which is the bad part.
Some wisdom there.

One thing i'll throw out there for you to consider. Do I remember correctly that you had to do the heads already on your new Block? Same mechanic? I don't want to imply that he did a bad job, but we're all human anD we make mistakes.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:48 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by fishEH
During engine swap the heads from my old block were machined at local machine shop. Basic 3 angle valve job.
Front 02 sensors were replaced with Bosch. Then one failed so I replaced again with another Bosch. Rear 02 sensors are proline. In my experience faulty O2 sensors trigger a lean O2 related trouble code. Ive had them in the past but all were resolved once sensors were replaced.

Codes:
P0305= cylinder 5 misfire
P0306= cylinder 6 misfire
P0303= cylinder 3 misfire
P0300= random multiple cylinder misfire

The cats do not glow red. The CEL does not flash. Engine temps do not exceed 209 (average 197-203). No apparent fuel odor or fuel leaks. No visiable coolant leaks.

According to datastream
Fuel trim a = 1.00 :1
Fuel trim b = 100 :1
Idel air = 100.96 kg/h

Old 12-10-2016, 02:24 PM
TReK

Ive been busy...

- Upgraded the front drive shaft to a Tom Woods "Woody". Peace of my aquired.

- Replaced transfer case cover gasket and changed the gear oil with Lucas 75W-90 gear oil. I oped to skip the drain plug method since its a pain in the *** to access with the cross beam in the way. Losened the fill plug first then proceeded to loosen all the cover bolts and drained old fluid that way.

- Replaced front driver side axle shaft seal for the 4th time and inspected the inner shaft and splines, found no visiable issues. So far the new seal is holding up and everything is dry.

- Replaced front driver side caliper/bracket assembly and bleed the system with Lucas dot 4 brake fluid.

Replaced front driver side abs sensor, but still getting rough road fault.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:41 PM
TReK

- Replaced the SAI pump, SAI flexiable hose assembly, SAI vacuum pipe assembly and the SAI solenoid thus resolving/concluding the longstanding P1415 and P1412 codes Ive had since late 2012.

- Swapped out the defective/cracked coolant expansion tank for another new unit. So far no visiable cracks or leaks.

- Had my mechanic take another look at the engine and ignition system to try and pin point the persistant misfire issues Ive been having since Januray 2016. He found some of the spark plugs were not at the correct gap spec so he threw in a complete new set of plugs, tightned afew lose ignition wires and concluded that the fuel injectors are the most propable culprit for the misfires and advised that I replace them. He recommened 19Ib injectors citing that they are affordable, common in many domestic vehicles and offer improved performance over the Bosch 0280155787 injectors. He has installed them in Rovers before. I ordered a set of 19Ib injectors and found that they are taller than the Bosch 0280155787 installed by factory so I ordered a set of remanufactured Bosch 0280155787 injectors off ebay (Atlantaauto) and installed them myself. These injectors come with new seals and and filters and are pressure/leak tested and spray/flow tested. They set comes with a 5 year warranty and the shipping was super fast. I did the job myself and ensured the clips were correctly installed on each injector and that each injector was properly seated in the rail before finally seating the rail and injectors down into the block. The misfire codes resumed several days thereafter and Im sceduled for another appointment next week to further diagnoise the misfires.

Link to Atlantaauto ebay page if anyones interested in purchasing a set of those injectors: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-YEAR-WARRA...5UAiHX&vxp=mtr

Last edited by TRIARII; 12-10-2016 at 02:44 PM.

Quick Reply: The official TRIARII build