Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve cover Gasket and Water Pump job

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 06:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone know what are the Torque spec for those 6 bolts for the upper intake Plenum. Do I use any loctite?

I found so many different numbers from 16 to 38 ft-Lb does not make sense.

Thanks

Old 09-07-2015, 07:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Per RAVE, it is 16 lb/ft, but I have never used a torque wrench.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:24 PM
Rock Crawling

most annoying problem putting the intake back was two nuts holding the Coils. They bend as you move and put back the upper intake. some brain dead engineer designed the coil behind the Engine block.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:25 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by sayeedA
most annoying problem putting the intake back was two nuts holding the Coils. They bend as you move and put back the upper intake. some brain dead engineer designed the coil behind the Engine block.
Wow that's for sure. Horrible location. Someone figured out a relocate option but I didn't do it because I hate the coils so much I didn't even want to touch them to relocate them.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:32 PM
Rock Crawling

I finally had some time to put the truck together. Along the way dropped the screw that holds the dipstick on the block and manged to strip on the one Compressor bolt. I should have stopped but I was tired of working and forced the thread hopefully I did not screw up the thread on the block attached metal piece that holds the compressor.

anyone knows what is the size of

1. Screw that holds the dipstick
2. SC Compressor long Bolts?

Thanks for all your help. looks like both the water pump and valve cover gaskets are holding well.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:37 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
I used Indian Head shellac on my water pump gasket.

Might want to get a new heater pipe o-ring O RING HEATER PIPE DISCOVERY II, 38A R/R, RND354, ERR6434 - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts in case yours looks weird after removing that pipe. The universal o-rings sold in auto parts stores look close, but don't seal. I thought my intake or head gasket had failed when I started mine after using a "closely sized" o-ring. Coolant was leaking out from that connection and running down the valley to the back of the engine.
Lordmorpheus, I have to redo my Valve cover Gasket. Although i used loctile, some reason they have started to leak again. I am doinf some other works and decided to tackle the Valve cover again.

The heater Pipe O ring you mentioned ERR6434. I went got one. My question will i have massive drainage of coolant once i open that Pipe. I am adding a pic just to confirm. Pipe is being held by a nut on the bottom, right?

Thank you

Attached Thumbnails Valve cover Gasket and Water Pump job-heater-o-ring.jpg  
Old 01-03-2017, 10:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by sayeedA
Lordmorpheus, I have to redo my Valve cover Gasket. Although i used loctile, some reason they have started to leak again. I am doinf some other works and decided to tackle the Valve cover again.

The heater Pipe O ring you mentioned ERR6434. I went got one. My question will i have massive drainage of coolant once i open that Pipe. I am adding a pic just to confirm. Pipe is being held by a nut on the bottom, right?

Thank you
A lot must come together for a good valve cover gasket job to hold for any length of time; perhaps you addressed all of the details.

I don't know if it was you talking about replacing the oil seal but Alex has a write up for removing the balancer pulley using only a socket with breaker bar and pipe, wedged under the frame rail & then bumping the starter with the fuel pump relay removed to loosen the bolt. That's by far the easiest method to getting the harmonic balancer out of the way. Just make sure the keyway aligns with the crankshaft when you put it back on

If you lost your dipstick screw then you are stuffed until you find the part number to order another one, or contact a vendor to get the exact replacement. There is no substitute as I tried them all. Went to the recycler 1 day and picked the dipstick screws off of every engine I found! Which was 3 and made it home with 2, used 1 and no you can't have my last 1

Last edited by chubbs878; 01-03-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:14 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Screw for dipstick is the same as the ones for the spark plug wire dividers

Old 01-04-2017, 07:15 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Hope that helps on the Dipstick screw

Old 01-05-2017, 03:25 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
Hope that helps on the Dipstick screw
Yes it does. I went and got a whole pack of them. they are the same as those Plastic retainers for Spark Plug cables. I am cleaning and painting those covers.
also getting rid of those hideous 12 point bolts for valve cover and replace them with better bolts.

Thank you so much.

Quick Reply: Valve cover Gasket and Water Pump job