Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 08:15 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
Yo!!!!!! As a I am a DJ, I had some crazy ideas about this picture. I'd bore out the top and foam line it for vibration dampening to mount 2 turntables or 2 CDJs and one DJ mixer. Below it add to one side 19" studio quality rack mounts for amps, crossovers and to the other side a high wattage speaker or mini-fridge for beer.

I'm drinking already so I've started my weekend early
I will be mounting a shuttle computer box with a touch screen monitor. to run a plotter. and have a small ice machine to put underneath. I built this modular inside do I can add / remove a section and replace it. as the ideas change.

xisled. dj on... I like the idea mobile dj and put a safari windows on each side. now that would rock out don't you think?

Old 06-11-2017, 12:01 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Changed the oil today. Back to Rotella T4 15w-40. I just ran seafoam in the block, so I put in a half of a bottle of Comp Cams Break in fluid. I don't know, probably unnecessary, but it makes me feel good, so there.

With the 15w 40 the top end does really sound quieter, at least at start up.

Also, if you watch Bitchin' Rides like I do, you have seen the Tub 'O Towels promos. I have to say, they really are a good product for cleaning in and around the engine area.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Fixed or at least slowed my coolant leak, one of the heater hose clamps at the firewall was a little loose. Also got some nice parts from Pick n Pull, rear cargo cover, D1 rear spring perches, parts to make 2 ABS sensor extensions, some lug nuts to replace my messed up ones, and the best one of all CDL/transfercase shifter & cable from an '04 for only $35. Caro cover is already in and I'll probably do the spring perches before the end of the month. CDL shifter will probably be an early next month project as I have some other stuff I want to do first.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Dropped the headliner and removed the rear a/c duct work so I could take off the roof rails and have them powdercoated along with the brush guard on my hunting golf cart. It was a pia. Figured while I got it down, I'm gonna go ahead and recover the headliner. Also fixed my front map light and got it working.....needed a damn ground. Checked all the wiring out and made sure nothing was nicked. All looked good but what a job!

Old 06-11-2017, 08:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

updated the rear camp conversion this weekend. got the middle section of the bed made with support boards underneath it. the middle board section will also double as the backrest for the seat. and the support boards will stow away under the bench. if you zoom in on the picture you can see the upper storage rack above the table. I had a middle section of the roof rack I had put on the teardrop trailer. so I used it up there.. I also got the battery in the rear cargo under the bench as well as the 1000 watt inverter mounted on the box behind the drivers seat. and all rewired up the front battery I even too the time to crimp and solder and cover all battery cables and wires.... busy weekend now I can rest. ill try out the bed tomorrow when I go to the VA.

I have decided to stay with the wood look. I will take my torch and lightly burn areas of the wood for a cool finish. and then stain and lacquer all surfaces .

Last edited by xisled; 06-11-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:10 PM
Winching
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
Dropped the headliner and removed the rear a/c duct work so I could take off the roof rails and have them powdercoated along with the brush guard on my hunting golf cart. It was a pia. Figured while I got it down, I'm gonna go ahead and recover the headliner. Also fixed my front map light and got it working.....needed a damn ground. Checked all the wiring out and made sure nothing was nicked. All looked good but what a job!
When I had mine down I ran some extra power wires for future add on's. I ran a total of 6 wires. 3- #10, 2-#8, and 1- #4. A lot easier to do when down.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Working on a friends 03 D2 that's been out of action for 8 months just due to not needing to drive it. I did all sorts of stuff to it from a full tune up, thermostat, cooling system overhaul (original thermostat was about to grenade that 4.6L). Also ordered a new front drive shaft (she's squeaking), and a master cylinder rebuild kit. I'm still waiting on those parts so in the meantime I did a full detail job inside, and under the hood (spotted an oil leak after cleaning it and it appears to be the oil sending unit or front timing cover). Yanked out the INOP OEM Navigation system and slapped in a new head unit.

All of that was awesome until I climbed up on the (what appeared to be good stock bumper) and I heard a crack/pop followed by me falling to the ground. The entire right rear corner of the bumper just exploded under my feet. It tweaked the upper R/R bumper trim piece, and kinda tweaked the rear fog/reverse lamp...

I let my friend know and he was totally fine with it, but I was pissed off it broke! I hopped up there to get a better look at his roof rack and BOOM it exploded.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
Not looking forward to dropping my headliner. This will be my third time. First was to recover headliner 5 years ago. 2nd time was a few months ago switching to 04' style rails. I have rear AC.

This next time will be to finish the roof. Being in Florida sun 24/7 the clearcoat went bad between the rails. Definitely did not want to spend the money for a repaint and clear coat. I sprayed it with VHT Epoxy paint Satin black (rattle can). It worked great on my bumpers. But it did not last up top 😂. It faded and chalked up.

Then I decided to paint it with Plasti Dip but it lasted a year. So I resprayed it again for a second year.

After getting tired of spraying Plasti Dip yearly I stripped it off. Not fun! Black Magic tire spray is the tip for removing. Tried everything. Day and a half later it is back to the VHT look until the Monstaliner bedliner comes in. I am going to prep the entire roof. Prime it with their Epoxy primer and put (2) coats on. Then reinstall the roof rails. Linex wanted $700.00 to coat the roof. Most other Do It Yourself liners don't have the UV rating and will not last. Monstaliner has 100% rating. Should be good for 5 years. Yes black is going to be hot! But Silver bedliner would not match and silver in Linex too much money. It was fine in black since the VHT paint. Rear AC helps 😏.

The Monstaliner has a ton of YouTube videos. Later I plan to do the plastic arches, rear license plate trim, ladder light guards, bumpers and slider. It will look like this finish even though the photos are of other vehicles.

Cost will be ~$250.00 and it should take 2 days weather permitting. I will update photos when done. I plan to have it done by the end of the month.

Last edited by Zonk872; 06-12-2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:05 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Forgot to add that I cracked my instrument cluster cover so gotta find another now. It's always something. Gotta love the d2

Old 06-12-2017, 01:53 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
I saw that on your previous post and it looks great. Not saying I'm criminal minded but... I'd worry someone sees the mount and smash the windows thinking I have a smart phone/tablet stashed in my truck.
With my foldable iPad cover I can take it with me.
Actually, with the iPad removed, it looks just like a regular cellphone mount. The clamping base isn't any larger than an iPhone, it just has the capacity to extend the spring mounted legs out further.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?