Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New To LR

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 08:57 AM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New To LR

First LR, not so new to vehicle with high maintenance standards(VW enthusiast). Picked up a cheapish 04’ Disco to replace my overly expensive daily(11’ Frontier Pro4x). Wasn’t picky about rust etc due to the price range, I wasn’t able to put my hand through the frame anywhere, so good enough.

The day day I picked it up.

Truck had some upgrades, but lacked in the maintenance dept from what I could tell. Did the rear brakes when I got it home as they were metal to metal. Greased up the driveshafts. Scraped and painted the frame in prep for krown coating. Ditching the TJM front bumper as I’m not a fan of the bull bars.

After having the tires flipped and lots of power washing of the spray painted wheels. Its presentable. I swapped out the tails for some earlier all red options, preference, just wired the them so the reverse is the turn with amber bulbs installed.

Ordered several small pieces that I was missing. Pretty sure the front axles need done(clicking from stops and when turning right in the drivers front) along with all the fluids. I’ll order a winch bumper from Casey Customs when the TJM sells. Just going with a Britbart rear. Overall I’m having fun with it! Truck has a RN 2” lift and steering stabilizer. Springs are rusty but I can deal.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those wheels look 100 times better. Nice work. If you havent already, check out the maintenance stickys.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:11 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Clicking could be the front driveshaft and if it fails I knocks a 3" hole in your transmission. Pull it out and check it for any chunkiness on the bench; doesn't always show up with it still installed.

Looking to sell that bumper on the cheap? Not sure where you're at, but if the price was right I'd come pick it up.

As for the rust, I'd recommend going along the frame and squirting some used motor oil inside it as best as you can. These frames have a tendency to rust from the inside out, not the other way around.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:40 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Clicking could be the front driveshaft and if it fails I knocks a 3" hole in your transmission. Pull it out and check it for any chunkiness on the bench; doesn't always show up with it still installed.

Looking to sell that bumper on the cheap? Not sure where you're at, but if the price was right I'd come pick it up.

As for the rust, I'd recommend going along the frame and squirting some used motor oil inside it as best as you can. These frames have a tendency to rust from the inside out, not the other way around.
Thats why it’s being Krown coated. If you’re unfamiliar look it up, I’d recommend it on any vehicle. Clicking under torque or when turning right from say a stop sign would be the DS? It sounds very cv-ish to me in sound and feel. Only on the drivers side. I’ll check it for sloppiness. But it appears to be an upgraded unit already.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:00 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Will look it up for sure.

Yeah, it does sound CV like, but I still figure better safe than sorry. Honestly I'd check it on a new one even without any noise. Seems like you've done your research, but just in case be sure to grease those u-joint T every oil change. They're real sensitive on these trucks because if the heat from the cat converters.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,279 Likes on 898 Posts

Nice looking rig. Looks to be in pretty good shape, rust wise. Did it live in Ohio all of its life?

Side note...Ohio has a very active land rover group on facebook. They do all kinds of outings, you should check them out.

Facebook Post

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 11-13-2017 at 02:28 PM. Reason: found link...huh...link won't post
Old 11-13-2017, 03:43 PM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by EasyDoesIt
Those wheels look 100 times better. Nice work. If you havent already, check out the maintenance stickys.
Ditto on the silver wheels. I think black wheels look so getto!

Old 11-13-2017, 05:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Nice! Love the wheels.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,279 Likes on 898 Posts

Why not just cut the bull guard off and plate the holes?

Are those 285/75's?

Brian.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:52 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Why not just cut the bull guard off and plate the holes?

Are those 285/75's?

Brian.
Was my original plan but not a fan of the TJM fitment.

Yes 285/75 BFG.

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (11-14-2017)