LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for feedback on pre-sale inspection results

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 09:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Looking for feedback on pre-sale inspection results

Been looking for a low mileage 08/09 LR3 for some time. Found one at a dealer this week. One owner approx 70k miles. Pretty clean. Asked dealer for an inspection at their service department and here’s the summary. They have offered to take care of all Fail items if I decide to buy. There’s a couple Caution items I’m not crazy about (left front axle replacement and front differential pinion seal). Asking price is mid $16K. Wanted to get thoughts from the experts (I’m new to the LR3).

Last edited by Juancl; 12-21-2017 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,590 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Need a bit more info on the truck itself like it had better be completely loaded and mint for that price.

The first 4 on the caution list are pretty straight forward DIY items if your a bit handy with a spanner.

The half shafts can be a bit of a nightmare to pull loose from the differential, and are not for the faint of heart.

Diff pinion seal no idea how bad that is never done one on the LR3

For 16k on a LR3 I would really expect perfection

Old 12-21-2017, 10:24 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Need a bit more info on the truck itself like it had better be completely loaded and mint for that price.

The first 4 on the caution list are pretty straight forward DIY items if your a bit handy with a spanner.

The half shafts can be a bit of a nightmare to pull loose from the differential, and are not for the faint of heart.

Diff pinion seal no idea how bad that is never done one on the LR3

For 16k on a LR3 I would really expect perfection

Thanks for the feedback. The car is in pretty good shape but completely agree that the price is optimistic at best. It’s their asking, but definitely not what I would offer (if I offer). KBB shows $14,5 to $15.3 for a car in good condition with that mileage color and options (HSE with cold weather package), which is definitely more reasonable.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:10 AM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

If it only has 70k on it and it was that neglected, I'd run away.

Old 12-22-2017, 04:29 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Diff pinion seal usually means that the pinion bearing has play. I would bank on front diff rebuild. Many people mistake the leaking seal as the issue not the symptom.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:15 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by EastCoast
If it only has 70k on it and it was that neglected, I'd run away.
Based on carfax (for what that is worth...) the car was regularly serviced at the dealer and later in its life at a reputable land rover shop, which suggests it wasn’t competely neglected. As mentioned, I have no experience with LR3s but from past land rover experiences (my dad owned a Disco 2 and owns now a P38 RR) it didn’t strike me as red flags that some seals needed change. Also, I think certain parts longevity is less a function of mileage and more of time (any rubber parts would fall under that category).

Curious to get more perspective from you, do you find the items identified to be out of the ordinary?

Old 12-23-2017, 05:17 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

If it was regularly maintained at a dealer and/or reputable LR shop, why were the fluids so dirty and the trans pan leaking? I don't know what the service intervals are for those fluids but the fact no one caught them seems suspect. That's just me though...

FWIW, I bought mine from a wholesale lot with more miles and a few more dealer identified problems but I paid correspondingly less for those issues. I guess if you can get a couple grand knocked off for the work you have to do, it might be worth it.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:33 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

" Asked dealer for an inspection at their service department and here’s the summary..."

Maybe I'm confused, but please tell me the inspection wasn't done by the dealer who is going to sell you the truck. That would make zero sense to me. But if that was the case, please get this thing inspected at an Indy Rover Shop OF YOUR CHOICE!
IMHO, BEST money you will ever spend.

Old 12-24-2017, 12:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by OverRover
" Asked dealer for an inspection at their service department and here’s the summary..."

Maybe I'm confused, but please tell me the inspection wasn't done by the dealer who is going to sell you the truck. That would make zero sense to me. But if that was the case, please get this thing inspected at an Indy Rover Shop OF YOUR CHOICE!
IMHO, BEST money you will ever spend.
The inspection was done by the dealer selling it. My logic behind that was (understanding there is a potential conflict of interest there):

- It wouldn’t cost me anything and would give me a first data point of the state of the car, to then see how I wanted to proceed. The car is not local to me, which makes the whole process more complex
- Got a couple friends in the business and they swear to me that in this situations the service guys look at this objectively (and actually have incentive to find stuff as that brings work to them). Do I fully believe that? Not 100% but I still think that at least in the case of reputable dealers there is a lttle integrity left.

At this point I am between just walking away or just give them a fair offer (a couple thousands under asking price) for the risk I am taking.

Last edited by Juancl; 12-24-2017 at 12:33 PM.