Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil lamp and ticking at 170k: Suggestions on where to start

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 07:05 PM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Unforunatly I was not present during the engine swap. Turner did not have any sai heads in stock when they shipped out my engine so I told my mechanic to get my old heads machined at local machine shop. Im not sure exactly what was done to the heads. Also not sure what/where the rockers are located. However this engine does have top hat liners which to my understanding will prevent engine ticking.
Top hat liners do not prevent engine ticking.
They only prevent the iron cylinder liner from slipping in the aluminum block...which causes a loud tick.
But, cracked oil pump gears, worn lifters, rockers, rocker shafts also tick. Worn cam lobes, and worn or walked cam bearings can also tick.
Main and rod bearings typically knock, but can be called a tick, just depending on who hears it.
So, the top hat liners are great, no doubt, but there's alot left that makes noise as it wears out.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:10 PM
TReK

The best thing you could do with $2k is buy some tools, gaskets, bearings, and machine shop work(if needed).
Use the manual, and all the great free advice here.
I am fortunate to have a garage, wife parks on one side, my tools/workshop on other.
My Disco is outside though, and will be when I pull the engine. Yes, working in gravel in the cold sucks, but I've done it for many years.
Many of us here do our own work.
You don't. Learn!
I say that respectfully too.
If you think you like your LR now, you'll like it so much more knowing YOU fixed it.
Considering what shops charge, you can save alot of money, for more tools, parts, or life's bills.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:36 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Engine dipstick indicates full oil level. No major oil leaks. Truck was not driven in this state. Thanks anyways.
Oil level with no pressure doesn’t matter.
The length of time it ran ticking it your video did the damage.
As soon as the oil light is on it needs to be shut off and not started.

Sorry telling you the truth not what you are asking to hear.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:58 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

Or you could get the call like my cousin Al got from his wife...

"Al, l'm on the expressway and a few miles back...a little red light came on that looks like a aladdin's lamp...and now the engine quit running."

Can only imagine how long...the long pause was...before he said anything to her...lol.

Brian.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by mud rutts
Oil level with no pressure doesn’t matter.
The length of time it ran ticking it your video did the damage.
As soon as the oil light is on it needs to be shut off and not started.

Sorry telling you the truth not what you are asking to hear.
Back when I was irresponsible and didn't give a fck, I used to drive all my cars without oil or bad oil pumps. One in particular I would drive around with the light on and put oil in it when I got money. It sounded just like the video...lasted couple months that way.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:56 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Update 12/29/17

My truck is still sitting outside the shop. Called them Tuesday afternoon, explained the symptoms and asked when they could begin service on the truck. We scheduled for Wednesday morning. I stopped by Thursday afternoon to drop off the new oil pump and gaskets and the truck was still sitting outside. Just called the shop again today and guess what? Still outside. The shop is closed for the weekend and on Monday due to the holidays. Honestly Ive never had much luck with any mechanic shop. I try to do most of the work myself, unless its something beyond my knowledge or outside conditions are not favorable. I wish people, shops, businesses could be depended upon. Agreements should be honored. Schedules should be honored. Alas this shop is screwing me over big time.

Im looking at 2 vehicles. Either a temp beater 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ with 170k or a permanent 2006 Dodge Sprinter 2500 high top diesel with 240,632 on the clock. Fate will decide the future.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:00 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

XJ for sure.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:00 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Red5
XJ for sure.
+1
The jeep should have more life left in it, and with cheaper parts costs.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:08 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn you have some bad luck, I (and I am guessing a lot of us) would really like to know what the failure on your Turner engine is. I have been debating for two years to order a long block from them as I think they are the best option. I almost started my Land Rover build with a Cannibal but didn't get warm fuzzy feelings from Steve and backed out. I ended up sourcing a low mileage 4.6 out of a P38 (red block) and have put 15k trouble free miles on it. We went through the engine with ARP studs, head gaskets, oil pump, timing chain, etc before it got installed.

Go with the XJ, parts are cheap and the 4.0 is a great motor if it has been serviced, a family member has over 300k on hers with it never being apart, oil changes and spark plugs only in 15 years. Again, sorry about your luck with the Discovery.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

That XJ looks pretty clean. It's crap-shoot, either way.

Brian.

Quick Reply: Oil lamp and ticking at 170k: Suggestions on where to start