Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird possible overheating symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 06:10 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Orange fitting is for D2.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:16 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,282 Likes on 899 Posts

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...n_4871559.html

Top ten locations for bleeding Dll's coolant system...park on any one of these streets...and bleeding becomes simplified...lol.

Funny, that number ten location...already has a rover living there.

Brian.

The following users liked this post:
number9 (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 08:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I always wondered if he had other things in mind.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:32 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by cybercop
Do you just pinch the overfill?

No need to pinch the overflow pipe. As Abran wrote you should be able to identify leaks by pressurizing the system to 16 lbs/in2. According to the RAVE the relief valve in the cap opens at 20 lbs/in2.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the info.

I just bled the system again. removed the bleeder screw, held the fill tank up, kept pouring fluid in no more air came out bleeder, put bleeder back in, filled tank to the cold line.

vents will not blow heat unless I am reving the engine, which I think still means there is air in the system. For the life of me, I can't seem to get it bleed right this time.

Any suggestions, other thatn the ones all over this sight?

Old 01-05-2018, 02:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 229 Likes on 182 Posts

It takes time and can be frustrating, yes it sounds like air is still in the system or you have a clogged heater core.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:28 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

This is all normal, it does take more then one try often. Run the heat on high for a while while either idling or driving around today, 5 minutes should be enough. Then in the morning open the bleed screw and see if you can add more coolant. Note the engine should be stone cold in the morning when you open the bleed screw. Use a small funnel or paper cup pinched at the side to shape a V to add coolant directly into the bleed screw hole to displace the air pocket there.

Do you know what your coolant temps are?

Old 01-05-2018, 11:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by cybercop
Any suggestions, other thatn the ones all over this sight?
Too many cooks spoil the stew...

Then in the morning open the bleed screw and see if you can add more coolant. Note the engine should be stone cold in the morning when you open the bleed screw. Use a small funnel or paper cup pinched at the side to shape a V to add coolant directly into the bleed screw hole to displace the air pocket there.
For bleeding do as suggested above, I've doing it since day two of fill/bleed of my D2 and can verify it's the best. I use a small water bottle filled with coolant so it can be ever so slowly poured.

If still no heat at idle it may be a partially clogged heater core as Friday Night Disco said. Usually easy to clear by removing both heater hoses and flushing out with a water hose/nozzle.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:06 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by number9
Too many cooks spoil the stew...
Maybe a typo.

But, did you mean kooks?...lol.

It's weird, both of our rovers bled out fine, just filled - with bleeder cracked, ran/drove them with heat on high until operating temps, let them cool down, rechecked and refilled at reservoir - with bleeder cracked again. Good heat and no noise afterwards. Had waterfall noise for the initial ride, as pulling out of the drive...but nothing after that.

Sometimes I wonder if there is some sort of blockage going on in these hard to bleed ones? Or maybe a bad reservior cap, not allowing the system to properly pressurize?

Brian.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:04 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Maybe a typo.

But, did you mean kooks?...lol.

It's weird, both of our rovers bled out fine, just filled - with bleeder cracked, ran/drove them with heat on high until operating temps, let them cool down, rechecked and refilled at reservoir - with bleeder cracked again. Good heat and no noise afterwards. Had waterfall noise for the initial ride, as pulling out of the drive...but nothing after that.

Sometimes I wonder if there is some sort of blockage going on in these hard to bleed ones? Or maybe a bad reservior cap, not allowing the system to properly pressurize?

Brian.
Thats what ive been saying!!!! In the other thread where me and best 4x4 had a disagreement. I've had rovers heater cores to be cleaned in the shop and they didn't need it.

Park em on a hill, it changes the angle of the hoses/pipes.
Truck overheats, runs warm, using the Rave method, bleed. Nada. Park on a hill, fixed. Sometimes I squeeze the hoses, sometimes I Rev it, I back down the hill and drive off, 195ish.

Quick Reply: Weird possible overheating symptoms