Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil lamp and ticking at 170k: Suggestions on where to start

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 11:33 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,216 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
I do not know why or how the failure happened. The mechanic is asking the same question because the oil pump does not look bad save for the groves. The wear on the crank is also not too bad. All I know is that when he tested the oil pressure he was getting 0 reading from the block.
Yep, weird...for sure. More investigating needs to be done, in my opinion. Me, I could not assemble that engine until l held the "smoking gun" in my hand.

1 auto or manual gearbox?
Answer...auto

2 octane rating of fuel used and/or high ethanol content?
Answer...manufactures recommendation (whatever that is...92/93...not sure...l run regular...lol)

3 any chip or tuning carried out or standard?
Answer...standard, no modifications.

4 the wear on the centre main is more pronounced on one side (thrust washer bearing) is the wearing front or back looking from the oil pump end of the engine as this is extremely significant
Answer...(this is the key question, and I mentioned this bearing in an earlier post)...me, l don't know, can't see it without removing cap.

Although, I could see excessive wear from the picture you posted...however, I could only see the front side and you really need to drop the cap to be sure of condition on both sides.

I believe you said your mechanic removed the rear main (5th one) and you saw grooves/wear on the trans side. This is the sketchy area. You've written Turner in the past about possible flywheel/flex plate issues because of the misfires...so, I'm assuming they are going to try and hang their hat on you here...saying it was a bad/misaligned/over-torqued/cracked flexplate that caused this issue. Hopefully, not...but with the past history and conversations...I wouldn't be surprised in the least. Which, probably doesn't matter much...besides damaging their reputation...since the warrenty was probably only a year.

They are most-likely following along in this discussion, too.

I have a few ideas but if you could answer the above first please and look forward to hearing from you
Hope this helps.

Brian.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:45 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Old 01-06-2018, 12:04 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Im still fixing to order that oil pump. Anybody know which part number I need? Lucky 8 is out of stock so Im probably going to order the cover from LRDirect.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

You need to cut your losses.

Engines bad, truck is bad. You're dumping money into something that can be had by just buying another truck.

Last edited by shanechevelle; 01-06-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:10 PM
Pro Wrench

Im still fixing to order that oil pump. Anybody know which part number I need? Lucky 8 is out of stock so Im probably going to order the cover from LRDirect.
Don't order a thing. Look for another truck. The one you got is parts.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:14 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunately Tarheel is ****ing me right now and now I need to source another rust free donor. Hes mad because I can no longer give him this POS of a truck so he wants out of the deal. When it rains it pours. I was suppose to drive down, give him this truck plus $1400 then pay a mechanic $1300 to swap the engine and bumper over to the donor then drive back home with a rust free truck. Alas when the oil pump failed those plans went out the window.
How is he "****ing" you? You had a business deal with him and you're the one not able to complete your end of the bargain. He's running a business, not a charity.

This is what I was saying before; you're quick to angrily blame everyone (shops, vendors, etc...) for your own mistakes and problems. You're already doing it with the shop your truck is at now. Shameful.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:18 PM
Pro Wrench

Which is another point I haven't mentioned yet...

If you're taking this truck to the shop to do these repairs and then to swap motors...it doesn't seem like you can do much of the stuff yourself or are choosing not too

You're going to be out 2-3-4x as much...just buy another truck.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:33 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Im weighing all my options. Ive said this before and Ill say it again. I do NOT have a shop or garage space ideal for tearing apart an engine, mind you guys I have no prior experience working on internal engine components. Snow on the ground and temps below zero. Wind chill etc. Way too dam cold for me to be outside for hours at a time trying to rebuild this engine. I brought the truck to the shop hoping they could have everything fixed in a week.

Tarheel wanted me to pay $1,400 for a 2004 Discovery 2 with 170k and a blown engine. Plus he wanted the front bumper assembly. Eventually we agreed that I would drive down, give him my truck plus $1400 and I would also give him the front bumper off the white donor truck along with the running boards, second and third row seats etc. Putting a very reasonable profit in his pocket. Then I was going to pay one of his friends another $1300 to swap my Turner engine over into the donor truck and give Tarheel the blown engine from the donor for parts.

But with the recent oil pump failure those plans went out the window. I texted Mike this morning and explained that I wont be able to drive down due to mechanical issues and I I asked him if/how much more $$$ I would need to send him in order to be able to tow the donor truck back north, since I would not be able to give him my rusted out truck after all. He responded saying deals off your money is in the mail. I paid him months in advance a grand sum of $1400 via Paypal. now hes pissed at me because I cant give him my truck and yada yada yada.

I did just find another D2 down south. A 2004 with 200k. However the owner claims that the engine was completely rebuilt BY LAND ROVER at 140k. Truck runs great except the gear selector xyz switch needs to be replaced and the truck is in limp mode. The seller is asking $2,000 for a rust free, running truck with a rebuilt engine. In contrast to the 2004 rust free, 170k blown engine truck Mike was going to sell me. Sounds like this is a much better deal.

How easily can the xyz switch be replaced? Does the engine or transmission have to be removed?

Old 01-06-2018, 01:22 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tarheel wanted me to pay $1,400 for a 2004 Discovery 2 with 170k and a blown engine. Plus he wanted the front bumper assembly. Eventually we agreed that I would drive down, give him my truck plus $1400 and I would also give him the front bumper off the white donor truck along with the running boards, second and third row seats etc. Putting a very reasonable profit in his pocket. Then I was going to pay one of his friends another $1300 to swap my Turner engine over into the donor truck and give Tarheel the blown engine from the donor for parts.

But with the recent oil pump failure those plans went out the window. I texted Mike this morning and explained that I wont be able to drive down due to mechanical issues and I I asked him if/how much more $$$ I would need to send him in order to be able to tow the donor truck back north, since I would not be able to give him my rusted out truck after all. He responded saying deals off your money is in the mail. I paid him months in advance a grand sum of $1400 via Paypal. now hes pissed at me because I cant give him my truck and yada yada yada.
You violated the terms of the agreement you made with him. You're the one backing out. Yet you blame him and bad mouth him publicly.

And as someone else mentioned, you can be guaranteed that Turner is seeing all of this, as well as Don who installed the engine for you and who you've already hinted at blaming earlier.

For once, take the advice of the good people here trying to help you and bin that doorstop of an engine.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Your money is in the mail..is he refunding your money?
Lucky you!
Forget Tarheel, settle up with the repair shop, sell your rusted D2 with it's blown engine, and buy whatever you want.Wash your hands of this deal. Try the southwest where I live for cheap rust free D2's

Quick Reply: Oil lamp and ticking at 170k: Suggestions on where to start