Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil lamp and ticking at 170k: Suggestions on where to start

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 06:05 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

The shop still has not had time to look at my truck because they have been busy. Hopefully they get it in tomorrow. I reached out to Mike of Tarheel Rovers and bought a used good condition oil pump front cover for $50. Hes got the flu but hopefully he can get it expedited to the shop by Friday. I understand LR made afew different part numbers for the oil pump front cover, but there is no way for me to determine which part number best fits my engine since its a re manufactured block from England.... So Im gonna take a gamble with a used part.

I have no issue with domestic parts suppliers with exceptions to Rovers North. I never had a issue with Justin or his business Lucky 8 LLC. He was always good to me and even gave me a free recovery strap at Winter Romp. The sales team who answers phone calls are top notch as well. Their website is improving and they make some cool videos on youtube. My only hesitation with Lucky 8 was a particular employee who publicly labeled me a skin head/racist on facebook, which stemmed from a debate over cb radios and Land Rover new vs old. I believe businesses should remain neutral and not take sides with or discriminate based on age, race, sex, sexuality, political believes, nation of origin, personal preferences, religion, interests etc.

Shortly after Britain left the EU their currency dropped and for a time we could take advantage of $$$ in savings buying from UK parts suppliers like John Craddock and Paddock Spares. Im an advocate for saving money especially on genuine and hard to find parts. The Mantec raised air intake retailed around $450-500+ in the US. Whereas the same part could be shipped from John Craddock to my home for roughly $350. I wanted to share my positive experience with UK suppliers and point fellow members in the direction where they can save some $$$. Recently the UK pound has risen again so back to shopping around for the best prices whenever we needs replacement parts. I still advocate for supporting UK businesses because their country is probably is a worse state economy wise then ours and they could use some help. I still do business with John Craddock and other UK suppliers when possible. In times of emergency or if its something small then I will buy from domestic suppliers. I ment no harm to fellow forum members. Shop where you like and dont worry about what other people think or where other people shop.

Thanks again for support and useful info. Again I believe everything happens for a greater reason. This is a bad time for me and Im devastated. I specifically ordered a new oil pump and cover in hopes to guarantee longevity out of this block. Alas all my efforts have been in vein. Still could be worse. I was suppose to drive down to Rockwell NC Thursday. Had this issue occurred mid transit Id be in a far worse predicament right now. My truck dont break dont often but everytime something breaks down it seems to occur when the truck is parked. When my coolant expansion tank sprung a massive leak the truck was parked at my mechanics shop in Hampton. When the fuel injectors failed I was parked at a Irving truck stop. When the engine issues occued afew days ago it was parked at my families house. Ive been lucky.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all. Hope you guys are having better luck

Last edited by TRIARII; 12-27-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:13 PM
TReK

Early in this build I had a bad habit of buying too many parts, many of which I did not really need. I was ocd and wanted my truck to be perfect. As a result Ive spent a small fortune since I first purchased this truck in late 2012. Im slowly adopting the saying: "If it aint broke, dont fix it". The shop has not even taken a look at my truck yet so Im trying to avoid buying more parts than is actually needed.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:27 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII

I have no issue with domestic parts suppliers with exceptions to Rovers North. I never had a issue with Justin or his business Lucky 8 LLC. He was always good to me and even gave me a free recovery strap at Winter Romp. The sales team who answers phone calls are top notch as well. Their website is improving and they make some cool videos on youtube. My only hesitation with Lucky 8 was a particular employee who publicly labeled me a skin head/racist on facebook, which stemmed from a debate over cb radios and Land Rover new vs old. I believe businesses should remain neutral and not take sides with or discriminate based on age, race, sex, sexuality, political believes, nation of origin, personal preferences, religion, interests etc.

My public apologies. I was under the impression from previous posts that you were making derogatory remarks about not only rovers north but also Lucky8. Looks like I was mistaken. Again, I apologize to Julian for pushing him to apologize/recognizance his faux pas regarding Lucky8.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:10 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Couple things...

224,000 on my Rover, original oil pump, cover.

Performance cam? Did you change your valve springs? The wrong springs can wipe a cam as well.

I wouldn't worry about the noises until you swap your pump. Rockers are the number one cause for the tick so its possible it will be there anyway.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:42 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
Couple things...

224,000 on my Rover, original oil pump, cover.

Performance cam? Did you change your valve springs? The wrong springs can wipe a cam as well.

I wouldn't worry about the noises until you swap your pump. Rockers are the number one cause for the tick so its possible it will be there anyway.

Unforunatly I was not present during the engine swap. Turner did not have any sai heads in stock when they shipped out my engine so I told my mechanic to get my old heads machined at local machine shop. Im not sure exactly what was done to the heads. Also not sure what/where the rockers are located. However this engine does have top hat liners which to my understanding will prevent engine ticking.

Last edited by TRIARII; 12-28-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:27 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Guess who has the front cover in stock... Rovers North!

Old 12-28-2017, 03:59 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this the same truck from the videos you posted of it ticking?
I wouldn’t put any money in that engine, you ran it way to long with no oil already.
The cam,rod and main bearings are in your oil filter by now.
Throw a cheap pump at it and drive it until it lets go.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:05 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by mud rutts
I wouldn’t put any money in that engine, you ran it way to long with no oil already.
Engine dipstick indicates full oil level. No major oil leaks. Truck was not driven in this state. Thanks anyways.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Engine dipstick indicates full oil level. No major oil leaks. Truck was not driven in this state. Thanks anyways.
Oil level is really a non-issue. It could be full to the brim, but if the pump isn't pumping oil throughout the engine...wear becomes an issue. Hopefully, you still had some oil pressure and the lower engine was supplied with enough to save its life. Upper end (valve train/rocker arms) basically get oil last...so that's why you heard so much ticking up top.

If you didn't drive it after hearing this ticking and saw the oil light...and had some sort of oil pressure...your bottom end "may be okay". But, if you reved it up or drove it with low oil pressure...you may have more issue.

This is why I mentioned early on in this topic to quit running it, you are only causing more damage or wear. Hopefully, you didn't and a new pump solves your issues.

Fingers crossed for a happy ending.

Brian.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by mud rutts
Off topic...but what did you find on your front axle?

Brian (part of your winch support team on steep hill...lol).

Quick Reply: Oil lamp and ticking at 170k: Suggestions on where to start