Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil and tranny fluid cooler replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 04:07 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil and tranny fluid cooler replacement?

Hey all;

Long time member here but this is my first post, mainly because of the awesome search function I have been able to find answers to my issues already discussed. Looking for some guidance here this time though. My original issue was engine overheating on my 2000 DII with 108k miles. In trying to solve that issue I went ahead and replaced the original hoses (I figured 18 yrs, probably time eh?), new 180 T-stat and pulled the radiator to have it tested. Here comes the question... since I have the front end pretty much totally disassembled should I consider replacing the original 18 year old oil and tranny fluid coolers while I am here. There are no leaks or other issues at this point, but the cooling fins on both are very crumbly and I am just wondering what the internals look like. I was able to get the radiator out without disconnecting the quick connects for either cooler so both systems are intact. On one shoulder is the voice with the "ain't broke. don't fix it" sermon, on the other side is the "you are here now, replace it and forget it for the next 18 years". I will admit this... I did order replacements from RoverLand, but the parts are used (although look to be in good condition) and not OEM. So, here I stand at the proverbial fork in the trail, parts in hand. Just thought I'd check in with my peeps for some feedback before I turn right or left. Anyone experience any issues with the cooler units themselves?

Old 04-18-2018, 09:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

How badly crumpled are the final? Post a picture?

If the cooler itself isn't too bad I would leave it, but I would replace those old factory lines. I had one rupture on my 03 a few days ago.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M

If the cooler itself isn't too bad I would leave it, but I would replace those old factory lines. I had one rupture on my 03 a few days ago.
For the factory lines, do you mean the gearbox hard lines? Looks like the only option for the upper line is genuine (UBP500270) for $120, but the lower line (UBP101141) is no longer manufactured. Or did you do something else?

Old 04-18-2018, 10:04 PM
Camel Trophy

No, just the soft lines. The hard lines should be fine unless they're rusted.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:27 PM
Mudding
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M

ditto. Upper soft hose disconnected from the hard line on my tranny end. I ended up dremeling both connectors off due to being stuck like concrete. Replace with as high temp/psi rating you can find and double warm clamp on each side of the flares. 5/8” inner diameter fits perfectly:

Old 04-23-2018, 12:38 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Sorry it's taken a bit of time to get back to the project.

Alex- The cooler units themselves are what I'm looking at. The lines appear to be in good shape. I cleaned them up to see if I could find any evidence of leaking or breakdown. All look ok but I know those connections are highly suspect. I posted a few photos of the units and lines.

Jeff- Yep, on the D2 the lines are a combo of hard and soft lines with the only quick disconnect (although many here would disagree with that name) at the cooler unit itself. Can't really swing the $120+ per line X 4 right now.

TaylorCadence- Hummm.....nice work there. That is definitely an option on those soft line connections. Don't know if I'm ready to chop up functioning lines at this point but that looks like a cost efficient way to improve what seems to be an inherent weak point as these trucks age.

Looking at the photos of my coolers and connections, the concern about this started when I lightly touched the cooling fins and they were very crumbly. I was worried that the internals of the cooler units might be breaking down as well. Right now the consensus on the cooler units seems to be to leave them and the "ain't broke, don't fix" approach is winning in my head as well. I guess if I had the $550 for a new OEM tranny cooler, $250 for the new OEM oil cooler I'd dive in and do Taylor's rework of the soft line connections, put it all back together and check it off the list. But swapping out with used aftermarket coolers and dealing with those 'fiddly' quick connects just doesn't seem like I'd be gaining much peace of mind. Agreed?

Attached Thumbnails oil and tranny fluid cooler replacement?-img_0658.jpg   oil and tranny fluid cooler replacement?-img_0659.jpg   oil and tranny fluid cooler replacement?-img_0660.jpg   oil and tranny fluid cooler replacement?-img_0651.jpg   oil and tranny fluid cooler replacement?-img_0655.jpg  

oil and tranny fluid cooler replacement?-img_0657.jpg  
Old 04-23-2018, 01:38 PM
Camel Trophy

Those coolers look perfectly fine. The fins are always soft because of how things they are. No worries there. Aluminum doesn't really "break down". It can corrode, but typically the layer of corrosion is actually protective unless it's been altered by a couple specific chemicals that your Disco is unlikely to ever interact with.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:23 AM
3rd Gear

I reassembled the radiator/oil cooler unit yesterday as is. I should finish putting the rest of the cooling system back together today or tomorrow and see where I stand with the original issue, which was overheating. Thanks again for your input Alex, Jeff and Taylor. See ya out there fellas!