Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flex-A-Lite 180, Motorad 180 Thermostat, Evans Waterless Coolant experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 03:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
I don't see how that could be correct. As soon as the thermostat opened the pressure on either side would equalize. That is, if both sides of the thermostat weren't already connected, but they are so the pressure would be equal even before the thermostat opens. The only pressure that could change how the thermostat opens would be the pressure of the coolant flowing as it's pushed by the water pump.

I don't think that the pressure is equalized half of the time. Alex, don't act like you haven't seen members posting that the LR Tstat operates from pressure as well. I definitely didn't come up with that one myself. How true that is, I don't know, but to account for the 15 degree temp swings with that setup, its definitely not fully open even when it should be. (I used to think that it was an under-sized radiator but now I know that is a myth) And if the engine is running, the Tstat isn't opening, operating temps are CLIMBING, it is building pressure. and kicking the head-gaskets' asses.

Last edited by chubbs878; 08-22-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 948 Likes on 637 Posts

No, I've definitely seen that posted, but it just doesn't make sense.

and I agree, as temperature rises pressure builds, but there's no (or at least a very small) pressure differential between the sides of the thermostat. The two sides of the system are always open to each other because the only blockage in the system is the thermostat. There's no second block to make the system two separate parts.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:10 AM
TReK
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

No, I've definitely seen that posted, but it just doesn't make sense.

and I agree, as temperature rises pressure builds, but there's no (or at least a very small) pressure differential between the sides of the thermostat. The two sides of the system are always open to each other because the only blockage in the system is the thermostat. There's no second block to make the system two separate parts.
I agree with Alex. With the Evans in and less pressure, which you can feel by squeezing the hoses, the thermostat opens at 180 and coolant is going through the radiator.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Here is a bit of helpful text compliments of user jycsalas from 07-03-2010 lifted from the RAVE:

"Rave specifically states that the design of the DII cooling system is for passenger comfort.

General
The cooling system used on the V8 engine is a pressure relief by-pass type system which allows coolant to circulate
around the cylinder block and the heater circuit when the thermostat is closed. With coolant not passing through the
radiator, this promotes faster heater warm-up which in turn improves passenger comfort.

By-pass flow valve
The by-pass flow valve is held closed by a light spring. It operates to further aid heater warm-up. When the main valve
is closed and the engine speed is at idle, the coolant pump does not produce sufficient flow and pressure to open the
valve. In this condition the valve prevents coolant circulating through the by-pass circuit and forces the coolant through
the heater matrix only. This provides a higher flow of coolant through the heater matrix to improve passenger comfort
in cold conditions."

Old 08-25-2016, 01:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 948 Likes on 637 Posts

Ok, so that is referencing flow pressure and not system pressure if I am understanding correctly. Also, the by-pass flow valve spring, again if I understand correctly, is a lighter spring and therefore opens at lower temps.

That does clear up where the confusion comes from. Thanks, Fast.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:54 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

All this time and money spent for temps that are achievable with stock parts.

That waterfall sound you had was an air bubble.

I would never let someone work on my car and not show me what was wrong with it. It's my car, I'm paying them. They need to tell me.

Also, quit focusing on just the fan. If you have another issue there may not be a fan on the planet that gets you where you want to be.

How are you bleeding this truck?

Last edited by shanechevelle; 08-26-2016 at 03:58 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:01 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Ok, so that is referencing flow pressure and not system pressure if I am understanding correctly. Also, the by-pass flow valve spring, again if I understand correctly, is a lighter spring and therefore opens at lower temps.

That does clear up where the confusion comes from. Thanks, Fast.
You are welcome! This read was a good reminder for me, too. I think you have it almost right -- as I read it the lighter bypass spring referenced opens at lighter flow, not lower temperature. It is the main thermostat spring that opens based upon temperature, and in the case of the PEL500110 it is 180*F.

LMK if you disagree.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:26 PM
TReK

Finally able to reinstall the GTO fan. I used a Ron Francis ar99 controller, and it is in every way superior to the flex a lite controller. Here are some pics.

This is the unit's temp sensory it is right by the temp sensor.

Pics of fan on radiator.

Interior photos. I installed it on the abs ECU/BCU Bracket.

Still need to do a long test drive, but very happy with how it turned out

Last edited by CollieRover; 11-03-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:38 PM
TReK

I have a Taurus fan and a Flex a lite black magic fan with controller if anyone reads this and need a fan. Both work great. Just have them after the issue with my a/c.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:38 PM
TReK

I had a connectivity issue with the waterproof connectors that I used. User error, so I wired in a couple of LED lights that come in when the fans do.

The controller has its own lights, but I can't see them where it is mounted. Green Primary fan amber secondary.

Quick Reply: Flex-A-Lite 180, Motorad 180 Thermostat, Evans Waterless Coolant experience