Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

97 Disco Stalls

Old 05-20-2012, 01:13 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tps

So I replaced the TPS and I tried tuning it with bolts lossened as suggested this made no difference in RPM whatsoever.

I'm curious if I did not install it correctly. Slipping this little guy on the protruding arm to install it you have 2 options.
In the first you you would have the part (tps) canted toward the driver side and once slipped over the rod you would move that rod when you rotate the part to get the holes lined up to tighten it.
In the second you start with part canted to the passenger side and there's no actuation or movement of the rod to position the part to the holes.
I chose the latter as seemed to make sense. But now I'm thinking I got it wrong as I followed the advice and tried to "tune" the RPMS out of my high idle and moving the slightly loosened tps did absolutely nothing.

Any thoughts on this? I was concerned about breaking the new part and blowing a c note as it small workings are plastic.

Im thinking of trying the first option before moving to VSS replacement as that seems to be my next step.

I still have the stalling issue coupled with the speedo drop and I have super high idle at around 2k.

I noticed on a run to town that the stalling went away and the speedo died. The vehicle ran great with no speedo reading.
At next startup the speedo came back to life and the stalling returned.

My posts are spotty as I can only get into this issue on the weekends as work gets in the way in the week.

I really appreciate the feedback and responses.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Watch scanner for t p s % readings, even when on position 2 it will change with gas pedal. Minimum is like 9%

Old 05-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by rockrollgb

I noticed on a run to town that the stalling went away and the speedo died. The vehicle ran great with no speedo reading.
At next startup the speedo came back to life and the stalling returned.
This means your VSS is bad.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:55 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Fixed! If you have high Idle look here!

Thanks to all for your excellent advice. It took me forever to get this sorted but I wanted to share the conclusion.
To rid my totally stock 97 disco of stalling I replaced the TPS. Very easy task. (95.00 from Rover Cannibal new)
Immediately I had a high idle issue.
I then had a certified former rover mech. in my neighborhood look at it.
I also had a bummer IACV. He replaced it and this did not fix the high idle. (Had two small hose leaks fixed as well 275.00) Mark's auto awesome service.
He suggested I take it to a rover shop and have its brain flashed as he didn't have the T4 service CPU.
Took it to Columbia Rovers, in an hour they had the CPU sorted, gave me a complete diagnostic and an awesome laundry list of every little detail of things to fix on the rig.
SO in summary even though I replaced the TPS and the IACV, I still needed to have the CPU reset to the correct parameters for these changes to make a difference.
Its running like a swiss watch now!!