Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Crank no start no check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 11:49 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
Joe,

Im having the same problem with a 97 I just bought. Did the ECM and alarm box fix your issue?

Thanks,

Abran
Unless he bought the ecu and alarm box from someone else, I don't know if he has anything new to report. I haven't heard from Joe in a few days. It might also be that the issue isn't as pressing for him as it would be for people like you and me. He might actually have a life that's not monopolized by these British heaps the way our lives are!

Old 03-19-2014, 12:16 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

So true...

Old 03-27-2014, 08:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey guys have not solved the issue yet. Got busy at work, my plan is to double check the obvious.... Fuses, connections, etc...to make sure I'm not an idiot. Then go for that ecu/alarm pair.
The only reason I didn't just buy those off the bat is that ecu and connections looked so clean and dry with no rust, discoloration or any evidence of water ingress. Still had factory stickers with ball point pen writing. (As I recall) I'm sure it could have gotten wet... Perhaps a solder failed.
Thanks again guys.
Will report back
Joe

Old 03-27-2014, 08:59 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

I have the same issue, Got too busy this last weekend.

I am going to attempt to solve this weekend. I got the ECU/Alarm pair.

A rusted or visibly damaged ECU would not be the clue. It seems this issue happens when the alarm trips too many times or for too long.

I will update as soon as I get some answers.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:00 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be curious to hear back as well. I had back surgery, and have not had time to get to mine yet, other than to cross two wires that allow current to the starter, but still no spark or fuel...
I got mine without a fob, so maybe this issue is, as noted above, too many alarm triggers?

Old 03-30-2014, 02:08 PM
Three Wheeling

ok, did some basic work on it today because when I start digging into another problem sometimes I can spot or think of solutions to others. In this case the whole... it cranks but there is no check engine light. Double checked fuses and ecu connections, they still look fine. Do a basic tuneup new plugs and wires (one was completely separated at the spark plug... must have been original). Having done that I connect the negative battery terminal and turn it over just to see if she does the exact same thing.... turn over, no spark, no check engine.
Bam. Alarm goes to town.

Backstory on this truck again:
Spent months in new zealand while there I lost my only key fob and key. the truck has been sitting for months. Previously ran well (apparently it was a v7 though) I get back have a locksmith create a new key, put in a new battery and of course the alarm goes off because I cant disarm as I have no fob. Dig around on the internets and found supposedly a universal way technicians can use the key in the door to bypass alarm/immobilizer.... its like one unlock, 5 lock repeat twice or something like that. I do it and it apparently works. Im in the truck, the accessories work everything looks great...but the whole turns over no spark no check engine.
Now I'm wondering if the answer might be as simple as these guys?
Land Rover Discovery I 1995/6 - 2000 Key Fob Problems and Repair

Joe

Old 04-18-2014, 04:04 PM
Three Wheeling

I'm updating this as embarrassing as it may be. Tracked down the engine and alarm computers originally from Paul Grant then sold to Abran who sold them to me. I dug in this morning, switched the engine box, took out the glovebox and the black lower cover to get to the alarm unit. It's snug as hell up in there, it's going to be a pita to remove. I decide to check fuses yet one more time. It was the engine management fuse the whole &@$"?!! Time. I thought I'd checked that guy twice, apparently not. I'm a relived moron. Started right up with nice top end clack which settled into silence after a few minutes...It purred beautifully.The radio is now dead, but I don't care.
Also, if you need a key fob check out the link I posted a few up. Those folks in England sent a perfect solution that arrived quickly and solved the alarm/fob issue with zero drama.
Thanks again for guidance all, ESP Paul.
Joe.