General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Popping in Engine - Hard to Start 1'st Try - Check Engine Light On - Sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 10:15 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping in Engine - Hard to Start 1'st Try - Check Engine Light On - Sputtering

1995 Range Rover
90,000 Miles
Check Engine Code says: Running "Rich" or something like that according to the auto parts store guy. He reset it, but it came back on a week later.

Recently I have had my 1995 Range Rover start sputtering and pop, pop, pop sounds from under the hood, and a definite loss of full power when the popping starts. Sounds like the left side to me but not sure. It does it when I first set out and have to go up a hill when it's cold. Not always though. Most of the time it goes up the hill just fine. Other times it does it after an hours drive, and then when I come out of the grocery store, it has the issue. It almost never starts on the first try, ever. Usually second. And on the second try it's a very weak start and I have to hit the gas to give it a good revving up. Otherwise it will just sputter trying to start and then die. Another time yesterday, I had to punch it to get onto the freeway in front of a semi truck.....well, it really went pop, pop, pop, pop, more than ever before, and gave me no power whatsoever to beat the truck.

I've been putting in some gas cleaner but doesn't seem to have done anything.

What do some of you experts think?
What is my next move?

Thanks

Old 12-08-2012, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Sounds like "misfire". One step would be new plug wires, 8mm silicone style, and new plugs. Also, when getting codes read write down the numbers. The numbers we can translate from the manual, various code readers sometimes put in text that does not match (they are designed for every car, and have a vocabulary that is limited in Roverspeak).

If your truck has a distributor with plug wires in front, then there is an ignition amplifier that could be troublesome. You may also want to check the fuel pressure on the passenger side fuel rail at the "tire valve", expect the pump to run for a few seconds as your turn key to position 2, and 32-34 PSI.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 12-08-2012 at 07:37 AM. Reason: pre GEMS?
Old 12-08-2012, 04:27 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Code Number is: P1316

Does this tell you anything?

My uncle said it might be the Fuel Pump....does this sound possible?