Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light - Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light - Won't Start

It must be my time again to have issues with this Disco... Today while driving around the Check Engine Light came on. When I got to my destination I shut her down and tried to starther back up to see if that would clear whatever conditionmade the light go on. When I went to turn the key, it wouldn't budge... at all. I took the key out and put it back in 8 or 9 times... still wouldn't turn. I disconnected the battery (for about 15 seconds), no change. Sat and sweared at it for about 10 minutes then, it started.

It's sitting outside my office right now with the key still in it and turned on (not running). If I'm able to get it started again and make it home I'll scan it for codes, but in the mean time... has anyone had a similar situation?

1998 Discovery I

Regards,

Todd

Old 01-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Check Engine Light - Won't Start

Once you get fault codes, get back to us.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:49 PM
4wd High

do you mean to say the key would not move to the start or ignition position? just sounds like the ignition cylinder just got locked...

Old 01-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Drifting

Yes, when I put the key in I was unable to turn it to any position. I did a little more digging and found the following:

"the internal shims in the lock barrel are made from soft brass and the key made from hard steel and the lock components just wear out"

I'm beginning to think I may have two problems now, the ignition and whatever it lighting up the Check Engine Light. If that's the case, does anyone know how to remove the ignition lock barrel? If I can remove it,I'll just strip the shims out (so I can keep driving it) until I can get a replacement. I'll just have to remember to keep the doors locked as at that point, you'll be ableto start it with a house key.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you can't turn the key, make sure your steering lock isn't preventing you from turning the key. Hold pressure one way while trying to turn the key and repeat the opposite way

Old 01-15-2008, 05:22 PM
Drifting

OK, it returned one code: P1496. AutoZone didn't have Land Rover in their system, but the Internet did! I discovered that code to be: "EVAP System Leak Major."

I guess that could be because ever since I replaced the fuel pump, I have had a struggle keeping it "installed," which is another problem I was going to mention after addressing this one. The metal ring that holds it down always pops off (therefore, making the inside of the car constantly smell like fuel). I spent about an hour wrestling with that on Sunday and had no success. I filled it up today as well, as much as I could before fuel would just begin dumping out.

I'm still hesitant to take the key out though for fear that I won't be able to getit to turn again. I'm guessing these two events are independant of one another. If anyone can offer any help or assistance I would really appreciate it.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:48 PM
Drifting

Update: I took the key out and successfully started it up 5 times. Musta been a fluke or like okdiscoguy mentioned, it was likely the steering lock... just bad timing for it to occur. The Check Engine Light still remains.