Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Drivers Door Lock

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 05:34 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers Door Lock

Hello, new member just bought my first Land Rover; a 96 Disco. All seems to be well but my key does not operate the drivers door lock. The key works fine in both the passengers door and rear. When i insert the key into the drivers lock it can only turn a very slight amount and doesnt seem to engage or disengage anything. If Im inside the car and manually operate the **** it works (locks/unlocks all doors). I have tried to spray in some graphite and penetrating oil but Im starting to think that's not the issue. Any thoughts on what might be causing this issue? I appreciate any responses, thanks.

Old 11-28-2015, 01:27 AM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Is it turning any? I know you said a little but how much if ya can guestimate in fractions/degrees. What it sounds like is your drivers side lock may be on it's final leg/dead and going to have to get a new one. Good news is they are fairly cheap, and getting re-keyed depending is usually less than 30 bucks. But if you can I would suggest pull the lock out and visually inspect by holding the cover door(the little tab that covers the key hole) open and shining a flashlight down it. It could also be nothing more than something stuck in there (can of compressed air could get that out or vacuum) Or that the rear parts(can't remember name) are gummed up and just need a brushing and some lithium, or silicone lube.

Hope that helps some and if ya need anything or have any questions shoot me a message and can get ya my email (only cause sometimes forget to check the threads lol)