Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plug and Wire Change Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 04:19 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug and Wire Change Questions

I am about to change the spark plugs and wires on my '00 Disco SII, and the dealer quoted me $430.00. I looked around on the internet and found that I can get the parts for around $130.00. Why is the dealer quoting me $430.00? Has anyone done this repair? Is there anything that I need to be aware of? How do I do it?

Thanks.

Patrick

Old 07-23-2006, 05:10 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Spark Plug and Wire Change Questions

If you are up for a suggestion on what to use, order some Magnacor 8 mm wires and Bosh Platiumn Plus 4 plugs from Rover Connection on the web.
This will give you a great amount of trques then other combinations.
As for the dealers charges, factory plug wires are over priced and the labor is a B---h.
As fo installing the plug wires, you need either a small hand to get the wires attached to the coil packs behind the engine, or take the top half of the intake manifold off.
You will notice quite an improvement in power and torque.
Good luck,
Mike

The following users liked this post:
Discorama (07-20-2018)
Old 04-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by CPDieker
I am about to change the spark plugs and wires on my '00 Disco SII, and the dealer quoted me $430.00. I looked around on the internet and found that I can get the parts for around $130.00. Why is the dealer quoting me $430.00? Has anyone done this repair? Is there anything that I need to be aware of? How do I do it?

Thanks.

Patrick
Is $430 for them changing the plugs and wires?
I would charge more -

Old 04-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You have some labor in there to get at the wires on the coil end. There are posts on doing it without removing the top of the intake manifold. You can also use the RAVE shop manual to look at what the factory recommends you do on a certain task, before jumping in on the DIY side.

See attached pix of the coil end of the equation.

Attached Thumbnails  Spark Plug and Wire Change Questions-bad-mechanic.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 coils.pdf (438.7 KB, 149 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 04-29-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Used DeepBluewater's post on changing the plug wires this evening. Brilliant... Follow his method and it works nicely. I went straight in on the engine... Knees on the upper front grill ( in front of the radiator), and elbows ontop of the Intake manifold...towel cushions! Main concern should be that there are some plastic fittings on the intake that you need to be aware of. Don't be leaning on them!!
It will test your patience. Pay attention to where the wires come off and like he said, to get the low ones, you will need to have a couple of the top ones out of the way and "off".
Needed to use the feel in my fingers to get the plug started, because once your hand goes back there, not much room to have eyes on the job.
Inside the coil pack plastic fitting that the silicone play boot fits over there is a tiny "post" that the metal part of the wire connector needs to slide over, (a mechanics mirror at the right angle will let you see this) making the connection inside the plastic fitting on the coil. I heard a little "click" when the connection engaged... Patience!!!!
Took me not quite 2 hours to remove the wires and install new ones....start to finish.
Question...
My wires were grey with the wire number printed on the wire... 1 thru 8 of course. Originals? 116,000 miles, I purchased the truck with 60,000. I have not changed them before today.
What I installed were some Bosch +4's plugs with some custom 8.5mm wires made by Aurora Ignition Wires in Vancouver. (if in Canada use these guys, very helpful and accommodating on the phone with my order) check out there site.
I assume that if an 8mm wire is good, then an 8.5mm is better?
The truck seemed to accelerate a lot more smoothly and even smoother at idle. So far I am impressed with what I have seen from the new set up. What are the most common beneifts of installing a premium wire and plug?
Don't lose your patience and pay attention to what your are doing and this job is a couple hours of your time and what ever you want to spend on wires and plugs. Go for it.
Thanks deepbluewater!

Old 05-12-2012, 07:29 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by outdoor7or24
Is $430 for them changing the plugs and wires?
I would charge more -
That is a labor charge from six years ago.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Mudding

I warm up with Richards Simmons' Stretching To the Oldies, pump back some
jagermeister. Then slick up with some Sainsbury"s pure lard. This usually doe's the trick. And if it doesn't, your a one man party

Old 06-06-2012, 07:54 PM
6th Gear

Got new wires for my Land Rover pulled the old ones off and noticed they have a ceramic ring on the coil end of them do i have to remove this and put them on the new wires?

Old 06-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I did not do anything with the ceramic part on my old wires....just put the new ones on with some Dielectric grease as recommended. I also was questioning them when I first saw them. I used a mechanics mirror to get a look at the inside of the terminals on the coils to see exactly how the new wires were going to clip in.
I guess that means my wires were original too. Was wondering about that....
I hope I am correct in that the ceramic part was just part of the old wire. I have no issues with the new wires.