Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wipers Don't Work, Radio Doesn't Shut Off With Key

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 08:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Arrow Wipers Don't Work, Radio Doesn't Shut Off With Key

These are at least the only two issues I've noticed so far. As of yesterday after changing a rear turn signal bulb, my wipers no longer work and the radio does not shut off when the ignition is turned off. Help?

Old 09-14-2012, 08:37 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have anything plugged into your cigarette lighter port? Mine was doing something similar when I had my cell phone or GPS plugged in, it wouldn't turn on the dome light until I pulled it or waited a minute or so. Almost as if it was giving me mercy power after shutting down the truck.

I'm probably way off, but weirder things have happened.

After that, I removed, cleaned, and rebolted any ground wires I could find.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Antmen
Do you have anything plugged into your cigarette lighter port? Mine was doing something similar when I had my cell phone or GPS plugged in, it wouldn't turn on the dome light until I pulled it or waited a minute or so. Almost as if it was giving me mercy power after shutting down the truck.

I'm probably way off, but weirder things have happened.

After that, I removed, cleaned, and rebolted any ground wires I could find.
Thats odd, but nope, nothing in my cigarette plug.

I just can't think where to begin searching for the issue when this began simply after changing a light bulb.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could try removing the bulb that you just replaced and see if the functions return. (I've seen the radio not turn off with the key when the rear radio control switch was unplugged).

Old 09-14-2012, 01:13 PM
Winching

I hope I'm not insulting anyone, but did you check all your fuses and relays? Both under the steering wheel and under the hood?

If the radio is staying ON though, you probably have a short somewhere in the accessory wire that tells it to turn on/off. Electrical problems like this are the worst. I had a fried wire to my cigarette lighter and it made all sorts of funky things happen. Hopefully you won't have to rip everything apart to check all the wiring...

Hopefully Buzz will chime in... he's seems quite knowledgeable about the electric systems of these trucks.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Rock Crawling

Maybe someone might know if there's a TSB related to the ignition switch/steering column?

Old 03-25-2013, 12:22 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a customers 01 Disco with the same problem, wipers don't work, radio wont turn off when key is turned off and seat heaters don't work. I printed out a wiper wiring diagram and saw that the Auxiliary Circuits Relay was on the page so I swapped the ABS and the Aux relays and everything started working again, so I replaced relay and all is well.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Street wolf did you figure this one out? It is a Relay in the underhood fuse box. Took me a awhile but I had this happen about 2 years ago. You can buy it at NAPA. I'll reseach the relay and model numbe if you need it.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by bosshogt
Street wolf did you figure this one out? It is a Relay in the underhood fuse box. Took me a awhile but I had this happen about 2 years ago. You can buy it at NAPA. I'll reseach the relay and model numbe if you need it.
Yeah man, I got it figured out. Much appreciated though.

Old 10-10-2023, 08:11 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bosshogt
Hi, I seem to be experiencing this same issue. Radio remains on after I remove the key from the ignition and I need to manually switch it off, also I notice that the newly installed GROM remains transmitting the Bluetooth signal after key is out too. Would you happen to know what relay I need to replace? Also is a relay one of those big blocks that are located in the fuse compartment under the hood?

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated!

UPDATE: Been doing research today about this Relay, is it the Ignition auxiliary circuits relay (#7) ? (I have highlighted it in the PDF file; left part of the electrical circuit diagram).

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
cdlt010x.pdf (65.5 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by macutan; 10-11-2023 at 01:08 PM. Reason: added Electrical Circuit Diagram