Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio button lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:03 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio button lights

Just an odd problem that I never really noticed until now. My radio lights work when I first turn them on at night but then after the truck warms up the buttons (1-6 fm, etc..) all go dark. The LCD stays lit, but all of the buttons don't.

Any ideas? Is it maybe one bulb that supplies them all? It's a 2000 with the HK system.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Winching

Tap on it, prob something lose on one of the radio circuit boards. Would be less headache to just replace the radio entirely with one off a salvaged disco 2 than try to fix it. hehe taking a radio apart is no fun job...

Old 02-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey photocrimes,
If you want to keep your radio try this place http://home.valornet.com/splacket/roverville_US.htm . Just an FYI as I don't know anything about them personally.
Good luck,

Old 02-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Winching

I never really noticed, I tend to just leave cd's playing. I noticed it the other night and thought I was sure I'd seen them lit before. So I watched them this morning and they lit at first and after a few minutes they were out. I would of thought a bulb like in the clock, but they all went out. The LCD screen stays lit though. Maybe a fuse? I'm pretty good with board level electrical repairs, but if it comes to that I'll just save it for a weekend I'm bored project. I was hoping it was something simple I was missing :-(

Old 02-08-2011, 06:40 AM
Winching

Update:

On the way to work this morning the lights of course went out again so taking the "just give it a tap" advice I hauled off and gave it a good whack. Lights were back on for a little bit and then back out. So it looks like a loose connection somewhere. I will need to take it apart later and have a look.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:28 AM
4wd Low

Cold solder joint at the feed for the lamps. It connects while cold, but warms up when you turn the radio on, breaks contact, and out goes the lights.

Unlike the stack of capacitors in the rear that are easy to get to, the front panel design is a pimple on the **** of progress...if you do get brave and open it, replace the bulbs with a pair of white LEDs and 560 ohm resistors. (that also works for the clock).

The dimmer will still work, because unlike every other car on the road that uses a rheostat to turn down the voltage, Rovers use a PWM circuit that leaves the voltage constant but turn it on and off at a slower rate to dim the lamps. You eyes can't see it, but the lamps actually turn on and off about 400 times a second at full brightness.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:56 PM
Winching

Yeah, that's where I was headed. Not too sure if it's bothering me that much yet. I've become kind of used to brailing it at night. lol

It's a feature not a bug ;-)

Old 02-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Winching

LOL, god I love these trucks. Ok, so I ordered a bag of those tiny LED lights that they use in the clocks, mine has been out for a long time and it's a pretty easy fix. So I fix the clock light and although I would consider the clock and the radio unrelated, my button light issue has changed. Clock works fine but now the lights on the radio stay out when you first turn it on and then come on when it warms up. They pretty much stay on after that... Ok, fixed! Quirky is English electrics..