LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer replacement question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 03:51 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer replacement question?

My speedo & message center have broken screens where black crystals have covered the screens and can not be read. I am planning to replace with another instrument cluster from a salvage yard. I have been told by the dealer that the newly replaced instrument cluster will pick up the actual mileage of the vehicle rather than picking up the mileage on the new instrument cluster (unless the used part has higher miles, then it will accept that number). Does anyone know this to be accurate (I have been told many different things)? Will the dealer be able to program the new cluster with the actual miles from my vehicle. I was told they can do this but would have to purchase a new cluster from them. Will the used speedo be accepted in the vehilce or will I have blinking lights, etc. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Drifting

the car wont even start with different speedo
it has to be programmed to the vehicle
dealer probably wont be able to program the s/h speedo (depending on diagnostics they are using)

Old 08-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Mudding

you have to purchase a new instrument pack and have it programmed at the dealer or after market shop with correct system only system i know that will do this is autologic systems. it has to programm the vin and mileage into the instument cluster

Old 08-14-2011, 06:47 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

what they said, ecus and transmission modules and instrument clusters are vin coded to the vehicle. wont work and cant be programmed with a used one. plus its more feasible to have the dealer just install the new cluster as the new one will have a core and the old one will be needed to pull the information out of it first.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:07 PM
3rd Gear
Default Dealer thinks they can program used speedo.

Thanks for all the replies. Spoke with dealer on Thurs. and they were willing to program a cluster from another vehicle. Not sure what's going to happen here but I am going to give it a try. Will let you know what happens in the next few days. Could be a total waste, but lets see what happens.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:32 AM
3rd Gear
Default Encrypted instrument cluster

Well as you guys have mentioned here, a used instrument cluster will not work or at least the dealer tried. Ordered a new one and having them program the new one. The parts place where I purchased the used cluster had agreed to take the unit back. Not sure why these salvage parts places try to sell so many instrument clusters when they are not going to work. Hope this info might help someone in the future.