General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 RR Classic-no start?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 04:38 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 RR Classic-no start?

Ive got a 87 classic I just aquired. Bought it as a non running project. PO states it was running great than began to not start at times till it became more frequent. Ive checked all the obvious-has a new fuel pump and filter, new plugs, new vacuum lines, has spark. Hit the key and it spins over, hold it and it starts to pop occasionally like it wants to go. But wont fully catch. Got it to run the other day by assisting it with starting fluid. Ran and idled great,drove it around the block. then died again. Ive read alot about these early Lucas EFI's, it must be one of the sensors feeding the ECU some bogus info-anyone know the best place to start. Trying not to buy every new ECU related sensor. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Todd

Old 08-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tested the distributor cap?

Old 08-31-2010, 06:56 AM
4th Gear

No I havent, I do have spark at the plugs, though it seemed dim and orange, whats the way to test a dist. cap-Thanks

Old 08-31-2010, 10:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The sparks could be out of sequence. However, this does sound like an EFI computer problem. This happened on my Boss's classic once. Start with the fuses though. They may look good to the untrained eye. Swap some of them out with new ones and see what happens. Then start with the key switch, clean it out, jiggle it, see if you can get it started with just finessing it. I would tell you to replace the EFI computer, but they are not cheap, so start with the basics like I suggested.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:06 AM
4th Gear

Thanks, I'll check fuses. When I first got it I pulled a few plugs and had my daughter spin it over seemed like I wasnt getting spark. Though the coil wire had a nice arc when I held it up to some metal. It has spark now but doesnt seem bright and blue. I believe the dist cap is aftermarket, not oem Rover part-I did order a genuine Rover one. Cant hurt I guess. Thanks for the input, T

Old 09-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to celan the injectors too, they may be clogged. A progressive failure to start could have been a couple of things but you have replaced most of them already. Have you checked what the fuel pressure is when you are trying to start it?

Old 09-02-2010, 06:22 AM
4th Gear

No I havent checked the fuel pressure. I did put in a new fuel pump and filter but I need to get to Harbor Freight, I hear they have cheap fuel pressure gauges for checking that. May be one of my next steps is to go through the fuel injection/plenum area. I read of a place you can send your injectors off to get cleaned, tested a,d orings replaced. Still waiting on my dist cap-who knows.Thanks for the input