2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 Defender towing, hitch, sway, pin to ball length.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2023, 08:46 PM
Mudding
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts

Reading up on this thread made me realize I know nothing about towing lol so I have a few questions that I’m looking for some help with.

Why do I need to add an electronic brake distribution module to the defender? Does it not come with one? Or is this just “extra” because the original one is not that good?

Those mounting the tire on top of the rack, do you get on top via the ladder? Reason I asked is that I mounted a storage bag on top and I had to climb up there to secure it and it was hard walking on the rails. And the bag weighed nothing compared to a full sized tire.

I am now curious about the tow hitch and whether the one I got at Home Depot a few years back works with the Defender given the discussions around length and sway control. What works and what doesn’t?

Old 04-10-2023, 09:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by is21447
Reading up on this thread made me realize I know nothing about towing lol so I have a few questions that I’m looking for some help with.

Why do I need to add an electronic brake distribution module to the defender? Does it not come with one? Or is this just “extra” because the original one is not that good?

Those mounting the tire on top of the rack, do you get on top via the ladder? Reason I asked is that I mounted a storage bag on top and I had to climb up there to secure it and it was hard walking on the rails. And the bag weighed nothing compared to a full sized tire.

I am now curious about the tow hitch and whether the one I got at Home Depot a few years back works with the Defender given the discussions around length and sway control. What works and what doesn’t?
If you spec it with a tow hitch receiver, it comes with the wiring for a brake controller but not a controller. Anything you tow over a certain weight has to have it's own brakes. You need to control these with your tow vehicles brake pedal. The controller allows you to adjust and control the brakes. Can be hard wired into the vehicle or done via a blue tooth controller.

Old 04-13-2023, 06:41 AM
Mudding
Received 147 Likes on 83 Posts

I have a ~6k lb when loaded travel trailer that I picked up in January.

I've towed it ~1200 miles with my 2022 110 S P300 with a Redarc tow elite pro brake controller and this
Curt adjustable hitch Curt adjustable hitch
. This was mostly on the return trip from the factory from TN to RI and the trailer was empty and dry so probably weighed ~5500. That went ok, the P300 had to work pretty hard on inclines going through the mountains in northern TN/southern VA and through the Poconos. The only sway felt was when we ate the bow wave from semis passing us at 80+

I've also towed it ~400 miles or so with my wife's 2023 X dynamic SE P400 (also with Redarc tow elite pro) and this
Anderson rapid hitch Anderson rapid hitch
. This was with the trailer being more or less fully loaded at around 6k lbs (estimated). Even though 80-85% of that driving was on i-95 and i-90, no sway whatsoever has been felt. I think a combination of the heavier P400 (which also pulls harder and earlier in the rpm curve than the P300), reduced pin to ball distance, and cargo loaded mainly in front of the trailer axles made a significant difference.

All that is a long winded way of saying that I think it's worth it to pay more to get close as you can to the LR specs for pin to ball distance. The Anderson I linked above is pretty close (7.5" compared to 11" of the Curt). Plus it's very light around 5lbs which is a significant difference compared to the ~31lbs of the bigger steel Curt hitch . That's 25-26 pounds savings on tongue weight right there.

Finally, all hitches I’ve tried have significant play in the LR receiver so I highly recommend an anti-rattle kit. The safety chain loops as others have mentioned are super small, I use these in the loops for the chain hooks

Last edited by Mcdooogs; 04-13-2023 at 07:01 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mcdooogs:
mzeee (04-13-2023), POPTOPP (04-13-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 10:09 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcdooogs
All that is a long winded way of saying that I think it's worth it to pay more to get close as you can to the LR specs for pin to ball distance. The Anderson I linked above is pretty close (7.5" compared to 11" of the Curt). Plus it's very light around 5lbs which is a significant difference compared to the ~31lbs of the bigger steel Curt hitch . That's 25-26 pounds savings on tongue weight right there.
I think the pin to ball distance is the most important part of the equation for limiting sway, among the items you listed. Longer distances also have the effect of adding leverage to the rotational arm between the hitch and trailer tongue, reducing the allowable tongue weight. If you're anywhere near the spec limit for tongue weight, then use a longer mount than Land Rover specifies, you're exceeding the tongue weight loading.

The Anderson looks like a nice option. If you don't need adjustability and want to save a little money, this is a good option as well, at 8.5" pin to ball distance:
https://www.curtmfg.com/part/45361

Curt offers that model in a couple other drop/rise options.

A couple of years ago I searched far and wide for shorter pin-to-ball distance mounts. They are difficult to find. Many, especially the adjustable ones, are 10" +. If you really want to go short, I still suggest searching OEM ball mounts from current or previous generation European auto brands, since many specify these shorter lengths for their cars.

Old 05-04-2023, 06:20 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Mcdooogs
I have a ~6k lb when loaded travel trailer that I picked up in January.

I've towed it ~1200 miles with my 2022 110 S P300 with a Redarc tow elite pro brake controller and this Curt adjustable hitch. This was mostly on the return trip from the factory from TN to RI and the trailer was empty and dry so probably weighed ~5500. That went ok, the P300 had to work pretty hard on inclines going through the mountains in northern TN/southern VA and through the Poconos. The only sway felt was when we ate the bow wave from semis passing us at 80+

I've also towed it ~400 miles or so with my wife's 2023 X dynamic SE P400 (also with Redarc tow elite pro) and this Anderson rapid hitch. This was with the trailer being more or less fully loaded at around 6k lbs (estimated). Even though 80-85% of that driving was on i-95 and i-90, no sway whatsoever has been felt. I think a combination of the heavier P400 (which also pulls harder and earlier in the rpm curve than the P300), reduced pin to ball distance, and cargo loaded mainly in front of the trailer axles made a significant difference.

Finally, all hitches I’ve tried have significant play in the LR receiver so I highly recommend an anti-rattle kit. The safety chain loops as others have mentioned are super small, I use these in the loops for the chain hooks

@Mcdooogs what brand of trailer is that? Looks great!

Old 05-04-2023, 06:58 PM
Mudding
Received 147 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by is21447
@Mcdooogs what brand of trailer is that? Looks great!

thanks! It’s an Oliver Travel Trailer. Made in TN, direct to consumer. Very well made double hulled fiberglass construction, we are super happy with it so far

Old 05-04-2023, 06:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 187 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Hitch

I use this hitch and have not had any sway. I use it because we travel with our dogs and anything close to the door will not let it open to get them in or out. I will be going to a lock and roll coupler and hitch on my new trailer in the coming month as we now know how we like to camp and want to get off grid as far a we can go.

Old 05-04-2023, 07:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 187 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Oly

Those are great trailers we looked at them before we got the Ibex 23RLDS. The Oly is very well made, but a bit too tight for my fat butt.

Old 05-04-2023, 07:58 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by hectorcamacho@me.com
Those are great trailers we looked at them before we got the Ibex 23RLDS. The Oly is very well made, but a bit too tight for my fat butt.
Hector when are you doing your trip to Alaska?