Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 Defender orders taking place now

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 05:05 PM
Mudding
Received 108 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
I have a 2nd deposit on a Defender at sticker arriving in 3 weeks or so. Would be tempted to flip it if it wasn't for the 6% sales tax...
The trick is to flip it to someone with a dealer's license as a wholesale transaction, and thus tax-exempt.

The following users liked this post:
qdo12 (09-15-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 05:06 PM
Mudding
Received 108 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Elektrapops
Thanks for the offer Allegedly. I'm not sure how the tax would work on a flip . Got a build you can attach?

In the last hour, my dealer has informed me that I "have to take" the 'Zurich' body/interior protection cover, adding a further $2k to the price. This is getting crazy.
I have no problem with all of the price gouging, it's only fair as consumers hammered the other way often on deals.

However, not honoring an existing deal is absolutely deplorable.

The following 5 users liked this post by MattEvan:
D-Fens (09-16-2021), GrouseK9 (09-16-2021), heliochrome85 (09-15-2021), qdo12 (09-15-2021), _Allegedly (09-15-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 05:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by Elektrapops
Thanks for the offer Allegedly. I'm not sure how the tax would work on a flip . Got a build you can attach?

In the last hour, my dealer has informed me that I "have to take" the 'Zurich' body/interior protection cover, adding a further $2k to the price. This is getting crazy.
It's kind of an interesting question. I don't actually know what's on the vehicle and neither does the dealer.

I have my original order from earlier in the year due in the middle of November.

Since then, I found out there's a new dealer opening near me and they have a ton of allocation. Since they are new and don't yet have their ability to log into Vista, all they have is a list of models, trims, colors, and price.

They told me I could put a deposit on one and, when it comes in, it's mine at sticker plus I think a $700 dealer fee if I want it. If I decide against it, I get my deposit back.

It is a 110 P400 X-Dynamic HSE in Eiger with black interior. They are almost positive it has an 11.4 inch screen and the price is $84515. It is sitting at port waiting for them to open the dealership and I do have a VIN number that could be looked up but I haven't done that yet because it looks like the one that I really wanted is being built this Friday.

​​​​​​Interesting times indeed.

The following 2 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
Elektrapops (09-15-2021), Magnumforc (09-16-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 05:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by MattEvan
The trick is to flip it to someone with a dealer's license as a wholesale transaction, and thus tax-exempt.
Exactly. My always drunk ex brother in law charges $300 to take anyone to the auction with his license but I reeeeally don't think that would go over too well with the LR people

Last edited by _Allegedly; 09-15-2021 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:44 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

This isn't unlike the muscle cars, like the Dodge Demon or Hellcat or even the SRT 392. When they were announced the muscle car people went nuts and Hellcats were selling for 20k over the sticker and the dealers could not get them fast enough due to dealer allocation. Demons were even worse with 25k over the sticker reported. But as things slowed down and those willing to pay the outrageous up-charges faded, prices settled down to sticker in most areas.

That said, JLR has never offered discounts that I can recall. We did get a thousand dollar "loyalty" rebate on a Jaguar in 2016, but the dealer never told us about it and we had to drag it out of them. Same with a special financing program through JLR; the $2000 rebate would have paid almost all the finance charges but the dealer was pushing another bank, so we didn't find out until after the sale. We eventually paid cash, but the point is, there are no bargains at JLR. The mindset is if they have it and you want it, you will pay. They would rather you walk than offer you a discount, at least here in Southern California. You can get deep discounts at any domestic dealer but with JLR...forget about it!

Old 09-16-2021, 10:46 AM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnumforc
This isn't unlike the muscle cars, like the Dodge Demon or Hellcat or even the SRT 392. When they were announced the muscle car people went nuts and Hellcats were selling for 20k over the sticker and the dealers could not get them fast enough due to dealer allocation. Demons were even worse with 25k over the sticker reported. But as things slowed down and those willing to pay the outrageous up-charges faded, prices settled down to sticker in most areas.

That said, JLR has never offered discounts that I can recall. We did get a thousand dollar "loyalty" rebate on a Jaguar in 2016, but the dealer never told us about it and we had to drag it out of them. Same with a special financing program through JLR; the $2000 rebate would have paid almost all the finance charges but the dealer was pushing another bank, so we didn't find out until after the sale. We eventually paid cash, but the point is, there are no bargains at JLR. The mindset is if they have it and you want it, you will pay. They would rather you walk than offer you a discount, at least here in Southern California. You can get deep discounts at any domestic dealer but with JLR...forget about it!
The 2020 defenders had a $1000 rebate/discount.

Old 09-16-2021, 11:08 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

My dealer gave me two quotes: Finance or Cash, and Cash was $2k more. So this is the same as my old F-Pace purchase where I could take the finance and pay off in two months with no prepayment penalty.

Old 09-16-2021, 04:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

My dealer says there is no change to begin my build tomorrow so hopefully every request I made will be on there...maybe there is a big closet that they stashed away to make sure I get the hud, 11 inch screen, clearsight, air suspension, cold climate package, convenience pack, interactive driver display, and all the cameras and drivers assistance that comes standard on the HSEs.

The following 3 users liked this post by Amg1824:
Elektrapops (09-16-2021), Simon14 (09-16-2021), _Allegedly (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 05:05 PM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts

My build begins (theoretically) next Friday and the dealer has said it is all good to go for the IDD, 11.4” screen and all the other bits (tow pack, air suspension, e-diff, etc). Part allocation all seems so random, but perhaps there is some sort of method to the madness. Regional differences? I know we have different model line up to the US. We start at base and work up from there, whereas base in the US is S, although it actually looks like our base model. Perhaps smaller markets get parts because of shortages? Who knows.

Amg1824 (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 05:09 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Amg1824
My dealer says there is no change to begin my build tomorrow so hopefully every request I made will be on there...maybe there is a big closet that they stashed away to make sure I get the hud, 11 inch screen, clearsight, air suspension, cold climate package, convenience pack, interactive driver display, and all the cameras and drivers assistance that comes standard on the HSEs.
Originally Posted by Simon14
My build begins (theoretically) next Friday and the dealer has said it is all good to go for the IDD, 11.4” screen and all the other bits (tow pack, air suspension, e-diff, etc). Part allocation all seems so random, but perhaps there is some sort of method to the madness. Regional differences? I know we have different model line up to the US. We start at base and work up from there, whereas base in the US is S, although it actually looks like our base model. Perhaps smaller markets get parts because of shortages? Who knows.
My guess was that they were prioritizing the higher builds but who really knows. I am picking up my XS model in about an hour and my sales rep said the activity key is there which seems odd when others were told it would not be till December to get the activity keys. I guess I will find out soon what's true.

Simon14 (09-16-2021)

Quick Reply: 2022 Defender orders taking place now