Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 Defender orders taking place now

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 05:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by AgentMir
Hi all, I'm putting in an order for a Defender X next week.. I have questions.

- Assuming my local dealer puts the order through, am I committed to purchasing that vehicle from them when it arrives? Or can I change LR dealer to get a better deal on the factory order? Seems some dealers are doubling down on price gouging, while other dealers are flexible and going for MSRP.
- Any particular tricks/tips in regards to ordering?

Defender specific question:

It's pretty much impossible to test drive a Defender these days. I've only seen it *once* since its debut in 2020. I'd love to know what kind of ride quality it has. Is it rough, firm, squishy, etc? I'm coming from a 2019 Tesla Model S, it's pretty rough with 19" rims - taking that car on trips has been a nightmare. My wife has a 2021 Volvo XC90 which has an excellent ride quality, it's smooth, quiet (road noise-wise) and squishy. Obviously I'm not expecting that kind of ride, but would love to know where the Defender comes in terms of ride quality. I live in the SF Bay Area and the roads absolutely suck with potholes/bumpy roads everywhere.

Side note: I'm already aware that delivery will take about 6-9 months at the moment. Not in a big rush.
The deal is that you have the opportunity to buy one. Getting one for sticker should be what the dealer does for customers on order cars.

If you decide to back out of the deal, they'll happily refund and throw on a "market adjustment" that someone will gladly pay not to wait for one to arrive.

Ride is great. You'll be very pleased with how it drives.

Old 12-09-2021, 05:56 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by GavinC
I didn't realize the ladders were ever factory installed.

Dealer or self installation is the norm.

It's a simple install to do yourself if you're so inclined. Plenty of ladders available at dealerships.
Ladders are installed at port. I added one for my customer today that'll be done before it hits our lot.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (12-10-2021)
Old 12-09-2021, 09:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by bakerman
Ladders are installed at port. I added one for my customer today that'll be done before it hits our lot.
Maybe it depends on the dealer. Mine offered the do the instal for a fee. Pass. I just bought the ladder and rack from their parts dept. MSRP +tax

The following users liked this post:
bakerman (12-10-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 10:20 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by GavinC
Maybe it depends on the dealer. Mine offered the do the instal for a fee. Pass. I just bought the ladder and rack from their parts dept. MSRP +tax
Good move!

Old 12-10-2021, 11:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

- Assuming my local dealer puts the order through, am I committed to purchasing that vehicle from them when it arrives? Or can I change LR dealer to get a better deal on the factory order? Seems some dealers are doubling down on price gouging, while other dealers are flexible and going for MSRP.

It's pretty much impossible to test drive a Defender these days. I've only seen it *once* since its debut in 2020. I'd love to know what kind of ride quality it has. Is it rough, firm, squishy, etc? I'm coming from a 2019 Tesla Model S, it's pretty rough with 19" rims - taking that car on trips has been a nightmare. My wife has a 2021 Volvo XC90 which has an excellent ride quality, it's smooth, quiet (road noise-wise) and squishy. Obviously I'm not expecting that kind of ride, but would love to know where the Defender comes in terms of ride quality. I live in the SF Bay Area and the roads absolutely suck with potholes/bumpy roads everywhere.

Side note: I'm already aware that delivery will take about 6-9 months at the moment. Not in a big rush.
Ride quality is good, I would say firm but still supple if that makes sense. I have the air suspension, never had a chance to try the coils. I'm coming from a 2018 Q5 lease, I would say the ride quality of the Defender is just as comfortable. Bad roads here in Western NY, you will feel potholes and manhole covers, it's air suspension but it definitely doesn't float over stuff like a new Cadillac does (or used to, haven't been in one in years tbh) if it did I suspect it probably would suffer in other areas. The way I look at it is go for an RRS if you want a posh cruiser. The Defender is very comfortable, for what it is...

Last edited by Chief65; 12-10-2021 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-10-2021, 11:47 AM
Mudding
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

fellow Bay Area resident here.

model S rides worse than a defender especially once you spec it with smaller wheels. They make a huge difference. 18s are epic 19s are good, 20s are ok. The larger you go the closer you get to the model s ride. You can get up to 22”s on the defender.

the main issue on the defender imo is wind noise due to the windshield angle, it’ll be higher than a model s.

fyi I currently have 2022 model S and I have a 23 defender on order.

i highly recommend going with stevens Creek LR it’s the only one in the bay not playing games. But also I have had mine on order for a month and it’s still not accepted by JLR. So delivery date of yours would likely be august/September 2022 if I had to guess

Old 12-10-2021, 11:51 AM
Three Wheeling
Location: Summer in Upstate NY, Winter in South Florida, Spring and Fall in Kentucky
Received 80 Likes on 39 Posts

Just got a text from my dealers Sales Manager… My 90X Defender is on the vessel Nabucco and it’s scheduled to arrive in the port of Baltimore on 12/20….. WHO HOO !!!!

Old 12-10-2021, 08:01 PM
Mudding
Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by maxmk8
fellow Bay Area resident here.

model S rides worse than a defender especially once you spec it with smaller wheels. They make a huge difference. 18s are epic 19s are good, 20s are ok. The larger you go the closer you get to the model s ride. You can get up to 22”s on the defender.

the main issue on the defender imo is wind noise due to the windshield angle, it’ll be higher than a model s.

fyi I currently have 2022 model S and I have a 23 defender on order.

i highly recommend going with stevens Creek LR it’s the only one in the bay not playing games. But also I have had mine on order for a month and it’s still not accepted by JLR. So delivery date of yours would likely be august/September 2022 if I had to guess
Thanks a lot, very helpful. I changed my build to 18” wheels based on your feedback… ride quality is very important to me. I’m kinda over the rough rides on crappy Bay Area roads after 3+ years.
Btw what is Stevens Creek offering specifically? I already put a deposit in today at the Livermore since they have an allocation for orders in January.

and nice to see a fellow Bay Area future Defender owner here!

Old 12-10-2021, 08:21 PM
Mudding
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks a lot, very helpful. I changed my build to 18” wheels based on your feedback… ride quality is very important to me. I’m kinda over the rough rides on crappy Bay Area roads after 3+ years.
Btw what is Stevens Creek offering specifically? I already put a deposit in today at the Livermore since they have an allocation for orders in January.

and nice to see a fellow Bay Area future Defender owner here!
Livermore wanted mark up. Stevens creek didn’t even take a deposit for sticker.

I have no idea about allocations as stevens creek told me no one got any in December (US wide) and they are waiting on Jan now.

Old 12-10-2021, 11:19 PM
Overlanding
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AustralianIdoma
Thanks bro.
Nope, Australia!
It's a sentimental purchase cos I grew up in one in the 80s. The dealer was actually amazed at my patience but then again I've been waiting for the bloody thing since 2016... Or was it 2013 when they showed the prototype on a beach???
To be honest I can't wait. I live in the outback and I have every intention of taking it places. To give you an idea, the most expensive acc is a roobar for AUD8K... blame our luxury car tax.
She's almost here... Maybe??? I took the roobar out cos it won't be delivered on time for pick up.

Price in A$

Quick Reply: 2022 Defender orders taking place now