2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 Defender orders taking place now

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 05:02 PM
4wd Low
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

So are a lot of folks picking up their MY’22 defenders (custom ordered) being charged a markup from the original agreed upon price (probably MSRP+shipping+doc fee)?

The following users liked this post:
gdyear78 (08-25-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 05:19 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by defendernoob
So are a lot of folks picking up their MY’22 defenders (custom ordered) being charged a markup from the original agreed upon price (probably MSRP+shipping+doc fee)?
Great question. Mine arrives in three weeks and I am bracing for something to pop up like this.

I have a buyers order that I signed that does not show a total price but does show the MSRP + the options and shows my deposit. So technically I don't have a signed contract stating the price will be, but I do have the email exchange where my sales rep said they would sell it to me at MSRP and that other dealers are selling above MSRP ( but they dont treat their customers like that).

I feel like alot has changed in the past 7 months since I put my order in though. Alot of dealers must be going through pretty lean times. Our current cars are mercedes and I drove by the mercedes dealer the other day and could barely see any mercedes in the lot..they had a good amount of vehicles but they were all different types of vehicles. Pre covid they never had non mercedes there.

defendernoob (08-25-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 05:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

No and I personally wouldn't stand for it. The price was there on paper, the deposit was put down, it was ordered. The price is the price, MSRP at the time of the order. I would just walk if they jacked it up even 1k tbh. That's no way to do business. If they want to jack it up on dealer stock and /or new orders that's different ... it's not good but it is different IMO.

Last edited by Chief65; 08-25-2021 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by dj200
Went to the dealer today to get the out-the-door price for an incoming '22.
They wanted $3k for "vehicle protection package" after all ready promising MSRP. What? I declined and told them not to pollute my brand new factory vehicle with their crappy chemicals (as if they even apply such chemicals).
They said it's company policy that every vehicle receive this "package" which included "underbody protection", "tire protection" etc. Really? At a luxury-brand dealership? Do I really look that stupid? (don't answer that )
I went off. Told them I would report them to every government agency I could find, and tell everyone on social media to avoid the sleazy and despicable practices of the dealership.
Dropped a few f-bombs loud enough for everyone to hear, including other customers, and stormed out.

An hour later I got a call from the service manager who apologized and promised to remove the $3k fee and to not put any chemicals on the vehicle.

Moral of the story: If your dealer tries to pull this BS, raise some hell.

(I won't mention the name of the dealer since they made things right - but If you really want to know PM me)
I sold cars for a year in college. I have stories for hours.

One of the dozen times I got fired (all you had to do was show up for work the next day anyway) was when I told a customer who was in a hurry that their car was ready after their rust and dust package got applied. The problem was, they paid $1500 for it and this was 15 minutes after it went back for application.

Going forward, I understood that every customer had to wait at least 3 hours for the guys to spray Scotchgard on their seats.

"Perceived value".

catman (08-27-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 06:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

We picked our 22 up at the end of July. No to your question. We knew we were paying MSRP and we did. They honored the trade price as well. No surprises.

The following 3 users liked this post by gdyear78:
bobbyz95 (08-25-2021), GrouseK9 (08-25-2021), WARWGN (08-25-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 09:49 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by dj200
Went to the dealer today to get the out-the-door price for an incoming '22.
They wanted $3k for "vehicle protection package" after all ready promising MSRP. What? I declined and told them not to pollute my brand new factory vehicle with their crappy chemicals (as if they even apply such chemicals).
They said it's company policy that every vehicle receive this "package" which included "underbody protection", "tire protection" etc. Really? At a luxury-brand dealership? Do I really look that stupid? (don't answer that )
I went off. Told them I would report them to every government agency I could find, and tell everyone on social media to avoid the sleazy and despicable practices of the dealership.
Dropped a few f-bombs loud enough for everyone to hear, including other customers, and stormed out.

An hour later I got a call from the sales manager who apologized and promised to remove the $3k fee and to not put any chemicals on the vehicle.

Moral of the story: If your dealer tries to pull this BS, raise some hell.

(I won't mention the name of the dealer since they made things right - but If you really want to know PM me)
I was more fortunate at my dealership. The "add on" vehicle protection was on an addendum sticker and when I told the salesperson I didn't want it, he just said, okay, we'll remove that charge and I was good to go. Not all dealers are that upright; I had one vehicle "teflon" coated many years ago and they buffed the clear coat right off the pint so every time you touched the car you has red paint residue on your hands. Dealer had to remove all traces of the coating and do an entire repaint. Spouse bought a new Honda S2000 roadster and the finance person told her she needed the extended warranty as "these cars break down a lot." We walked out with the salesperson hot on our heels and the GM came over and said the finance person was out of line and wrong. She bought the vehicle and had it for years with no issues. Dealers get big money on useless add-ons to bump their profit and commission.

Old 08-26-2021, 12:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts

PSA:

Six Defenders on inventory at Land Rover of North Dade in Miami. 4 110s and 2 90s. Prices from $61k (MSRP) to $121k (MSRP + $30k mark up…).

Last edited by Juancl; 08-26-2021 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-26-2021, 12:48 PM
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WARWGN
@wendefender22 Mine was on the same boat/port. Dealer says they will tell me when it gets on the truck but it you get an update, please share. Thanks! A few other's here were also on the same boat.
Just learned that our truck arrived at the dealer! Unfortunately won't be able to pick it up until tomorrow or this weekend due to my work schedule (gotta be able to pay for the thing ha) but asked the dealer to send some photos to hold me over in the meantime. Very curious to see if it actually has everything on the build sheet.
And here's hoping they stick to MSRP as discussed previously. Had other dealers in the area quote $10k over or add the bs $3k in nonsense "manufacturer required protection" and "anti-covid sprays".

The following 3 users liked this post by wendefender22:
GrouseK9 (08-26-2021), Ian95rrc (08-26-2021), WARWGN (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 01:12 PM
Mudding
Received 270 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by wendefender22
…"anti-covid sprays".
Is that a factory, port, or dealer installed accessory.
Too funny!

Old 08-26-2021, 01:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Anti-covid spray?

So you're saying you let covid people in my new truck and you want ME to pay to clean it?!?

dj200 (08-26-2021)

Quick Reply: 2022 Defender orders taking place now