Old 03-21-2021, 06:24 PM
4wd Low
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

First fix is always free!

Old 03-22-2021, 11:16 AM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by drcoop
My salesman said that the Clearsight mirror being offered standard for a couple years then a paid option in '22 was like a drug dealer offering free samples for a couple years then starting to charge you.
base product price also increased so its a double wammy.

Old 03-22-2021, 08:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 186 Likes on 112 Posts

Just ordered my D90 V8. I was told the same regarding the new larger screen. They expect builds in August with the new screen, hoping it will be quicker.

The following users liked this post:
angelboing (03-23-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 08:58 PM
Mudding
Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

I would guess that the reason for the delay with larger screen and clear sight mirror for that matter is because of massive shortage in capacity with their chip (silicon, not potato) suppliers. During COVID lockdown last year there was a huge uptick in non-auto industry demand for chips and displays. The auto industry accounts for a relatively small percentage of total chip production world wide and so they are way down the priority list. There are several reports on this that are worth reading.

I would bet that JLR intended the larger screen to be standard for 2022 but huge downturn in sales last year and now shortage from suppliers this year means they keep the smaller screen standard for the forceable—at least until the small screen stock runs dry. Then we go back to analog! :-).

I ordered the larger screen and I’m prepared to wait. The 10” letter box screen in our Velar is great but I find it way too shallow. I also ordered clear sight mirror and it gives you both viewing modes. Both features for $500 is actually pretty reasonable if you’re prepared to wait that is.

The following 2 users liked this post by TheMoke:
angelboing (03-23-2021), eelpout (03-22-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 04:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

I was all about the clear sight mirror with my online builds until I actually test drove with it. Using it while driving I found it has a lot of jitter and reflections that overall made it unusable for me. It was a sunny day and the roads are choppy after winter so maybe the conditions matter YMMV. Some might say well it's not so much for driving it's for backing up when visibility is blocked due to cargo etc, but you already have a gigantic backup camera for that purpose which looks great and will look even better with the 2022 larger screen. I dunno I ended up optioning a lot of stuff into my 90 but left the clear sight mirror off. If you have the jumpseat I would say the clear sight mirror is mandatory and I think in that case it's standard equipment anyway but aside from that configuration I would say test it out to see if you really like it first.

Last edited by Chief65; 03-23-2021 at 04:57 AM.
bobbyz95 (03-31-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 07:12 AM
Drifting
Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief65
I was all about the clear sight mirror with my online builds until I actually test drove with it. Using it while driving I found it has a lot of jitter and reflections that overall made it unusable for me. It was a sunny day and the roads are choppy after winter so maybe the conditions matter YMMV. Some might say well it's not so much for driving it's for backing up when visibility is blocked due to cargo etc, but you already have a gigantic backup camera for that purpose which looks great and will look even better with the 2022 larger screen. I dunno I ended up optioning a lot of stuff into my 90 but left the clear sight mirror off. If you have the jumpseat I would say the clear sight mirror is mandatory and I think in that case it's standard equipment anyway but aside from that configuration I would say test it out to see if you really like it first.
I thought I was the only one in the world not to order the Clearsight Mirror! I first test drove a 110 back in December and found my eyes just had a real hard time adjusting to it for some reason. It took way too long for my eyes to focus and it just looked weird to me. I decided not to order it on my 90. Then after thinking about it for a while, I thought I may be able to get used to it and if not I could always use the regular mirror, so I decided to add it to my order. As fate would have it, my "last amendment date" had changed by 2 weeks and it was too late to add. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago and I had the opportunity to drive a 90 First Edition that had just arrived at my dealer, and had the same experience with the clearsight mirror. I just don't think my eyes were built for it! So, I'm kind of glad I saved the money, but I still wonder if it would grow on me with more time using it.

Now I wonder if it can be retrofitted after the fact? I'm sure the wiring connectors are probably there.

Chief65 (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 09:06 AM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ordering my D90 V6 Dynamic today! The packages and add ons are easy to pick from. What I am having a hard time with are the colors! I love them all!! Going with a black roof and interior but can't pick a color!
These grey / silver colors are tough to choose from!

Old 03-23-2021, 09:26 AM
Drifting
Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lloydn22
Ordering my D90 V6 Dynamic today! The packages and add ons are easy to pick from. What I am having a hard time with are the colors! I love them all!! Going with a black roof and interior but can't pick a color!
These grey / silver colors are tough to choose from!
I think Eiger Grey would look great with the black roof! Good luck today!

Old 03-23-2021, 11:24 AM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by dmo1028
I thought I was the only one in the world not to order the Clearsight Mirror! I first test drove a 110 back in December and found my eyes just had a real hard time adjusting to it for some reason. It took way too long for my eyes to focus and it just looked weird to me. I decided not to order it on my 90. Then after thinking about it for a while, I thought I may be able to get used to it and if not I could always use the regular mirror, so I decided to add it to my order. As fate would have it, my "last amendment date" had changed by 2 weeks and it was too late to add. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago and I had the opportunity to drive a 90 First Edition that had just arrived at my dealer, and had the same experience with the clearsight mirror. I just don't think my eyes were built for it! So, I'm kind of glad I saved the money, but I still wonder if it would grow on me with more time using it.

Now I wonder if it can be retrofitted after the fact? I'm sure the wiring connectors are probably there.
From what I have heard it takes some time to get used to it, but then you dont want to go back. So it might be one of those things that you dont know how you lived without it until you have had it.

Functionally if you pack your cargo area to the brim then its obviously the most helpful.

dmo1028 (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 11:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

If you need reading glasses, you'll probably find your eyes need more time to adjust to the Clearsight mirror (or you might not be able to see it at all). Looking in a normal mirror is the same as using your typical outward distance vision. But... switching from distance vision to a close-up object like Clearsight is similar to looking at a laptop screen that's only a foot or so away from your face. I'm on the cusp of needing reading glasses (getting older...), and a quick switch from distant to near objects takes me a few seconds for my eyes to adjust.

Somewhere in the fine print, the LR literature mentions the same thing about the Clearsight mirror. I went ahead and ordered it anyway, but suspect I may leave it in normal mirror mode most of the time.

Quick Reply: 2022 Defender orders taking place now