2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 Defender orders taking place now

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 04:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

This feels less like a production slot and more like an expensive lottery ticket for options unknown to be delivered at some time unknown.

Last edited by NeedaHobby; 01-24-2022 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 04:40 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yikes. I’m waiting for the dealer to call me back tm. I don’t think I’m willing to wait that long so I may land at another brand and get something else.

Old 01-24-2022, 04:46 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Irizarry10
Yikes. I’m waiting for the dealer to call me back tm. I don’t think I’m willing to wait that long so I may land at another brand and get something else.
Totally. I get you. If I had known in August that my truck would take 11 months I doubt I'd have waited that long. I said it in another thread - my sales rep and the dealership is sort of embarrassed by the whole thing. It's definitely not their fault - they kept me abreast the whole time about the lack of allocations, etc. They were up-front about the clearsight mirror and smaller screen, etc. They aren't getting vehicles to sell.

The Bronco Raptor timing is impeccable for you, provided they can actually supply demand.

Old 01-24-2022, 05:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 461 Likes on 232 Posts

It was interesting today, since my boat docks tomorrow we are getting down to brass tacks. My Sales rep emailed me to let me know all the accessories I ordered are available and in a box for me. Now he knows I work on my own aircraft (I am licensed) and may well feel a bit ticked to overpay to have things like the mudflaps installed. My how perceptive he was. The mudflaps are only a few hundred dollars, however the want 3 hours of labor at $220 to install them! Honestly, I find that slightly unpalatable. Especially since on Friday I swapped out my Seaplane prop to the Landplane prop. This involves uncowling, taking off the nose bowl un-safetying the nuts removing the 85 lb propeller, changing the alternator belt (you do that each time you remove the prop, since its cost is trivial compared to having to do all that to replace it for wear). Which involves also removing the flywheel behind the prop. Putting the other back on safetying it running and rigging the prop RPM for the new prop and recowling. Making a logbook entry. I did that in 2.5 hours. So I have to assume that these mudflaps are a really complicated piece of kit, involving structural changes and re-programming the computer to take them into account. That and $220 an hour. Well that explains the really good coffee and pastries in the customer lounge.

So, needless to say, my accessory bits will be in boxes in the cargo area when I pick up the truck. Apparently, all the other stuff, rack, arches, skids, Eagle Beak inlays and such where put on at the factory.

So my lads, knowing I am anticipating the arrival or the someday Defender got me this. It arrived on schedule. Wrong color, but cute nonetheless.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dogpilot:
bobbyz95 (01-24-2022), TrioLRowner (01-25-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 05:28 PM
7th Gear

I actually cannot stand the Bronco. I'm not even sure what I'll look at, maybe a Tahoe RST. Really depends what the dealer says tomorrow. I'm not pressed to do something, but would like to sell my current while the market is good. But if I have to wait a year for a Defender, i'll want something else by the time I take delivery.

Old 01-24-2022, 06:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogpilot
It was interesting today, since my boat docks tomorrow we are getting down to brass tacks. My Sales rep emailed me to let me know all the accessories I ordered are available and in a box for me. Now he knows I work on my own aircraft (I am licensed) and may well feel a bit ticked to overpay to have things like the mudflaps installed. My how perceptive he was. The mudflaps are only a few hundred dollars, however the want 3 hours of labor at $220 to install them! Honestly, I find that slightly unpalatable. Especially since on Friday I swapped out my Seaplane prop to the Landplane prop. This involves uncowling, taking off the nose bowl un-safetying the nuts removing the 85 lb propeller, changing the alternator belt (you do that each time you remove the prop, since its cost is trivial compared to having to do all that to replace it for wear). Which involves also removing the flywheel behind the prop. Putting the other back on safetying it running and rigging the prop RPM for the new prop and recowling. Making a logbook entry. I did that in 2.5 hours. So I have to assume that these mudflaps are a really complicated piece of kit, involving structural changes and re-programming the computer to take them into account. That and $220 an hour. Well that explains the really good coffee and pastries in the customer lounge.

So, needless to say, my accessory bits will be in boxes in the cargo area when I pick up the truck. Apparently, all the other stuff, rack, arches, skids, Eagle Beak inlays and such where put on at the factory.

So my lads, knowing I am anticipating the arrival or the someday Defender got me this. It arrived on schedule. Wrong color, but cute nonetheless.

Haha... I will say that of all the cars I have owned, the Defender is the most complicated when it comes to accessories. They make everything more complicated than needed... as if the items are complete afterthought. Have a look here for what is needed: LAND ROVER ACCESSORY FITTING INSTRUCTIONS

Old 01-24-2022, 06:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 461 Likes on 232 Posts

Well thank you for sharing that! My god, I will have to use a drill and a file! I'll have to root around to see if have those. Yes, it is an involved process for just mud flaps, considering on pretty much all other Defenders and Series it was something like three bolts a side. As you said, they over-complicated it. You want complicated, here is my turbine converted 206, just a tad of sheet metal work on it, in addition to all the stuff on the firewall forward:

The following 2 users liked this post by Dogpilot:
bobbyz95 (01-24-2022), n4v4nod (01-24-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 06:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogpilot
Well thank you for sharing that! My god, I will have to use a drill and a file! I'll have to root around to see if have those. Yes, it is an involved process for just mud flaps, considering on pretty much all other Defenders and Series it was something like three bolts a side. As you said, they over-complicated it. You want complicated, here is my turbine converted 206, just a tad of sheet metal work on it, in addition to all the stuff on the firewall forward:

Haha... yeah I did my own as well. Not difficult... just more hassle than it needs to be! This will be cake compared to anything you work on!

Old 01-25-2022, 08:17 AM
7th Gear

Received a call this morning from the dealer. He said that they have one spot for a 110 SE open for allocation right now. Told me the market adjustment was $10-15k. I obviously will not be moving forward with that. Chevy dealer will sell Tahoe RST at MSRP.

Old 01-25-2022, 08:41 AM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Irizarry10
Received a call this morning from the dealer. He said that they have one spot for a 110 SE open for allocation right now. Told me the market adjustment was $10-15k. I obviously will not be moving forward with that. Chevy dealer will sell Tahoe RST at MSRP.
Wow! I can’t believe these dealers marking up cars are still selling them. I have just placed an order for a V8 110. It will be built in April 22. I am paying BELOW the MSRP. I would never pay above sticker, COVID or not.

Quick Reply: 2022 Defender orders taking place now