Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Agreement not to Export and Security Agreement

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 12:24 PM
Huc
Mudding
Received 183 Likes on 82 Posts
Default ​​​​​​​Thanks for the reminder on the goofy paperwork!

As to your example: How can one agree to be responsible for what a car thief does after stealing my vehicle would be - well - patently absurd.

I cannot speak for 2024 (2025 model year vehicle), but can confirm we had to sign some weird agreement (can't recall if it was specifically the same) here in Colorado in 2022 when ordering/purchasing our 2023 model year rig. My recollection is there was a statement to the effect we could NOT sell it to a party outside the United States / export (e.g. I couldn't sell it visiting family in Canada.) I don't specifically recall the theft and sale abroad clause but there was some weird stuff I can't immediately recollect.

I definitely recall discussion with my wife that "this paperwork sure smells odd". We simply held our noses and agreed to get the purchase done figuring if it became an issue we'd see the dealership in court in the event of some financial meltdown required us to liquidate assets. I vaguely recollect the odd paperwork was related to not being able to sell the vehicle in the first year (locally or abroad) without giving the dealer the opportunity giving the supply constraints globally at the time. Sorry I can't recall specifics - perhaps others here have a better recollections.

We're well past the 12 months now and I had completely forgotten about that ridiculous paperwork. As I now double check our title, I do NOT see the dealers name on it. We never went back to get it removed - the true title came in the mail in normal course of the purchase and registration process from the State of Colorado, Nor should the dealers name be on the title as the vehicle wasn't financed through the dealer nor anyone else. The title simply has the name of our trust that made the direct purchase (not financed) which is as expected.

While sadly it's unlikely the above helps, thanks for the reminder on the goofy paperwork!

Not to be flippant but perhaps I should consider selling our rig when in Canada this summer just to see what happens. Then again maybe not as I don't wanna pull the trailer home on my back :-O LOL (still - perhaps a Grenadier replacement purchased in Canada? Hmmmm)

Originally Posted by Rors2024
... So leaving aside the risk the car is stolen and exported and we are required to pay a big check for something we did not do, even in the way we keep our cars, we still would need to go back to LR Houston Nth after 12months to get their name removed from our title.
Firstly never seen this before from any car purchase (including our prior Ranges) and while I'd be ok with giving an obligation that we will not export the car, the rest of the terms are not acceptable to us. And the dealer is not prepared to alter the document to be a simple no-export obligation.

Is this common in 2024? Is it it just Texas? Were we unlucky with the first dealer? Do folks just accept this?

Old 02-14-2024, 01:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 232 Likes on 116 Posts

We did not have to sign a no-export agreement, but our dealer did talk about the problem they were experiencing which was cars being ordered and bought specifically to be exported. The problem at the dealer level was two-fold, that practice reduced supply for their local market customers and, of course, it completely eliminated the possibility of a future service revenue stream. As to why JLR might mandate this onto their dealers, that's pretty obvious. If the China market price for the vehicles is indeed multiples of the North American price, it means the middleman is taking the super-profit and not them.

As an aside, my Cybertruck Foundation Series purchase agreement DOES contain a no-resale clause and gives Tesla first refusal to buy at MSRP less mileage for a period.