Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoying Software Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 03:01 PM
Mudding
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ADVAW8S
I am just fascinated with everything that people are saying about the software updates. Let me put this in perspective, I picked up my build on 10/29 in Seattle. The system shows the last update occurred on 10/7/2020. The same number shows for the Live Apps and Weather app It has not attempted to update despite me looking for a software update. The page that shows the software version is still blank. I have had nothing but a pleasant experience with JARVIS except I sometimes get a blind spot not working. To make it go away, I just need to shut down JARVIS and double lock it(get the beep). Then unlock it and start it up and it goes away. Everything else has worked like a champ. I know it sounds crazy but maybe LR needs to roll things back and start over again with small updates.
You might be onto something. I have a feeling that there are going to be a few more months of working out bugs before the engineers get to a stable version. Given how many bugs are still being reported, I think they should probably stop new feature development until they know they've fixed the bugs.

On the one hand, it's really embarrassing for them to have all these issues. On the other, the vehicle is incredible in so many dimensions. My mindset is that I own a somewhat bespoke, somewhat exotic vehicle vs. a mainstream product. That being said, if I start having some of the issues others are reporting (e.g., start fails, safety impacting issues)... not sure I could maintain zen for too long! The things I see are goofy -- grumpy AHBA, connected apps (Weather, Spotify) come and go for no reason, maps lose images sometimes, bluetooth settings don't do what they're supposed to do (e.g., autoconnects when you tell it not to), terrible keyless entry, even saw a navigation map image take the place of album art today for the first time... which is... weird -- but don't rock overall confidence as of yet. It would be devastatingly bad, however, if they conclude they entire system needs an overhaul and somehow lock our hardware out from a truly stable OS. I don't think it's likely headed there given how bad the fallout would be... but I think it's a non-zero chance this happens if I'm being honest.

I do hope that they begin to give more transparency into release information, as the documentation I can find is clearly out of date and laughably sparse to begin with. See:

https://www.landrover.com/ownership/...re-update.html

I also think it would be good to allow users to manually check for updates when on a lower version and the JLR gods haven't yet decided it's your turn for an update... just saying.

The following users liked this post:
Gent of liesure (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 03:30 PM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

Pivi Pro is being implemented in nearly every Land Rover (and, most likely, Jaguar) model this year. They'll get the software right - they are too invested in it not to.

How does it work for updates, you just come here, bitch a little about 2.0.7 and get the update, pronto? Well, here I am, bitching. My last Live Apps update occurred again this morning.

wcc18999 (01-22-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 04:46 PM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Driving to drop my rig off in Ventura this morning everything in the car switched over to like a Euro version about 40 min into the drive and then just switched back. Like the speed warning went from the white rectangle saying 65 to a euro circle with the speed limit in it. I thought it was weird but looks like the weird glitch while driving effect the in cabin air as well making it jump from Fahrenheit to Celsius. There got to be some module or something that’s not being programmed correctly or needs to be replaced in my option.

Old 01-21-2021, 05:30 PM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Gent of liesure
Driving to drop my rig off in Ventura this morning everything in the car switched over to like a Euro version about 40 min into the drive and then just switched back. Like the speed warning went from the white rectangle saying 65 to a euro circle with the speed limit in it. I thought it was weird but looks like the weird glitch while driving effect the in cabin air as well making it jump from Fahrenheit to Celsius. There got to be some module or something that’s not being programmed correctly or needs to be replaced in my option.
The Euro signs used to pop up in my car quite often as well, until a few software revisions ago - I want to say 2.0.5 but don't quote me on it because there were a flurry of releases in December last year. I used to correct the issue by resetting Pivi Pro, although I don't recall the signs changing back and forth mid-drive like in your case. Since that software revision, the speed limits and "Do Not Pass" signs have been correctly displayed as US versions only in the instrument cluster.

Gent of liesure (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 05:54 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The 2020 Defender is a completely new design along with the advanced Pivi Pro system.
There are always problems with first model years, on every vehicle produced by all automotive manufacturers in all price markets.

Maybe next time you purchase a new model year vehicle, it would be best to wait a few years before pulling the trigger.

Old 01-22-2021, 10:51 AM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Where the fun in that ?

Old 01-22-2021, 11:20 AM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Did your high beam assist switch to right hand drive as well?

Old 01-22-2021, 07:08 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Folks I commented very early in this thread about the “gremlins” in my Defender that I picked up in September. So 4 months later I still have a blank software update screen, issues with the push button open on the drivers door, the auto high beam turns off occasionally, the lane assist stays on some days and turns off on others. Connectivity seems to turn on and off on its own. 3 trips to the dealer and no fix. They reset the system and say they can’t repeat my concerns. I’d feel better if I just got a software update. On a side note they. did order a replacement cloth seat cushion that has faded. I just needed to vent. Thanks Joe

Gent of liesure (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 09:04 PM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I am starting to believe there are the software improvements which when coming combine to make my experience fine. For others the issue seems to be just getting the system started updating to begin with which leaves them irritated with some of the early and solved software issues. Early on my Seattle Tech updated several out of date “modules” after which my car started updating. Seems like 2+2 should start to be put together by JLR and they start correcting module issues for some of us.

I do think it is a wonderful vehicle and expect that issues will crop up and be fixed. That is my experience. Why isn’t it universal is the question.

Gent of liesure (01-22-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 07:59 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I got the 2.0.8 software update overnight - no notice - just self installed while car was locked. Amazing amount of dealer misinformation about software updates being stopped/halted. No notes except the generic one listed above about optimizing the system. On quick drive, didn't see anything different - though started up like any other time. Will revert if I see any changes.

Gent of liesure (01-23-2021)

Quick Reply: Annoying Software Update