2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoying Software Update

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 04:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 697 Likes on 405 Posts

I saw the same thing as ADVAW8S, here in the U.S.

It kept telling me after shutdown that the vehicle needed a download and said it would take 40 minutes and the automobile and side lights would not be available during that time. It took me two days of seeing that each time I shut down to finally push the button that said "download now" or some such.

It then told me to close the doors, lock and alarm the car. I did that, everything went dark and one hour later everything worked as normal. Its been a couple of days since and no problem.

I have absolutely no idea if any downloading actually occurred. How would I confirm it?

Old 11-01-2020, 05:46 PM
Winching
Received 558 Likes on 252 Posts

Go to the software page in the settings, If the update completed successfully, you should see version 2.0.4 is now installed, with some campaign release notes about what was updated (see above screenshot.) If the update failed, it should tell you so, and you will still be at v. 2.0.3.

Old 11-02-2020, 04:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle

umbertob:

Took me a while to find the software screen, but when I did all was just as you note. All was successful, it seems.

Thanks for your assistance !!

Old 11-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Hi new to this thread. I also posted similar experience with my Defender elsewhere on this site. All of my instability software issues seem to have been corrected by 2.0.4. I triggered it by using the Utube trick from powerfuluk.com. Holding down on/off for 10-15 seconds and was offered update. Dealer would not do a reset as it wasn’t an “official” process. I picked up car and reset in lot and then showed dealer. Some notification software management issue JLR needs to sort out for sure.

Old 11-12-2020, 03:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Just an update --- I have just been asked by the Defender to download a newer version of OS 2.0.4 on my P300 110 S in North America -- 10 days after the prior, successful update. The new OS 2.0.4 PC310 version uploaded successfully. Neither time did I have any issues (once umbertob shared how to find the computer screen of course ).

I have no idea what PC310 means, but I thought I would share, in case one of you needs to know.

Old 11-17-2020, 03:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Interesting. I am still on 2.0.3 and trying to get a bunch of these issues fixed. Hard reset doesn't prompt a thing - doesn't prompt me for 2.0.4 as I hoped.

Old 11-18-2020, 08:18 AM
Mudding

Hoosbest

I still think 2.0.4 should help with many issues as my Defender has been quite stable since installation. I also log onto my home Wi-Fi when I park in garage as a backup to 4G built in connection. These are wild thoughts but does your Defender’s “REMOTE” app work? I know that takes dealer input to get it up and running. Maybe there is a connection issue? Also, the Technician in Seattle found some undisclosed to me module updates he made to my vehicle with a USB stick by doing some research.

Those thoughts are a bit out there - I think and somewhere something simple could be blocking the update. The 3 part connection experience from the PowerfulUK Utube channel might help. I know this is frustrating. Good luck

Old 11-18-2020, 08:39 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the reply. My Route app works fine - so know connectivity works. In the garage, the car has a good connection to the home internet wifi as well as the 4G connection through the car. Still doesn't find an update. (It did automatically update to 2.0.3 on 10/16 by itself). The dealer said this week they updated some modules - and that helped a bit. The lack of information from LR has been baffling. Dealers seem less helpful than the forum - b/c they probably don't know.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:44 AM
Winching
Received 558 Likes on 252 Posts

I am still on 2.0.3 as well. Don't panic, I understand the update goes out in waves to a range of VINs, it's probably not our time yet. My Remote app works fine, the Route app doesn't (it says my VIN is not valid when I try adding it.)

Old 11-18-2020, 11:43 AM
Mudding

That is my exact initial experience and thought. Have you had a go at a second hard reset of infotainment button?

I was a bit reluctant to disconnect battery but as I reasoned it out changing a battery is a part of normal periodic maintenance and should not be a detriment. I did not disconnect my battery however. The issues that occur from what I have read are most likely a sequencing issue with electric windows and such so I always thought I would have them all the way up. The battery compartment is impressive and I actually like the location. Access to the terminal is good and clean. It is hard to know if just disconnecting for a period of time or disconnecting and holding the positive and negative leads together would help to give electronic modules a fresh boot up. I can read both when I dig around and this is what makes me wish for more dealer interaction. I would think just disconnecting like a replacement which is a normal procedure and after some time reconnecting would work. It did not as I recall cure the UK UTube video connection issue but who knows.

Maybe it is just not your VIN’s time for the update as you said. As far as the Route app-My dealer did say most folks are having a tough time with the Route app as am I. I no longer care on that point as the system is so good at taking a normally spoken address I don’t see the point.

Thanks for the update-I hope at some point there is better software issue/ change info available to the owners as well- Abe they will read these posts from owners

Quick Reply: Annoying Software Update