Sponsored by:

Annoying Software Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 11:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Freemey
REPORTING BACK
Last week I mentioned I had an appointment at my dealer in Seattle to change my oil- yes I know early. Couldn’t help it so I changed it at 5400) miles since it was a new vehicle. I will relax schedule now. BUT since I was headed in I asked them to check out my battery. I had started to wonder if my 2 remaining oddities were possibly related to a poor battery. These were very intermittent and ONLY ever occurred first start of the day. Both always went away after I stopped and restarted especially if I drove just a few miles. The first was the “Emergency Braking and Steering Not Available” and the second was a black screen in front of the driver where map info should be. I run in full map in front of driver. And really like it for normal driving. At the same time the navigation map is working on the PIVI P.

Before going into dealer and after looking at a good many posts on this I connected my CTEK 5 amp smart charger to the posts under the hood. 15 hours later I finally achieved a “full” battery. This made me think my battery had been running at a low state of charge which made no sense since it drive the Defender daily. After the charge I checked the voltage at those posts and it read a steady 13 volts which in my mind indicates a fully charged AGM. I should have read at least 12.8 or 12.9. Now the CTEK had not gone into the final Pulse mode so there may have been a few % to go. Now it gets interesting-

The next 4 mornings with daily driving each day I read first thing before I started 12.3, 12.4, 12,3 and 12.2. This is roughly a 60-70% charge on an AGM battery. I even started turning off auto stop start mode to keep the charging engaged.

NOTE- there was some discussion on there being a 2nd start battery. I do not mean the 48 volt Mild Hybrid Turbo Lag boosting P400 battery. On my P300 the auto stop start is accomplished now (unlike on older models) with a capacitor SO I only have the one battery. Maybe it’s the same on the P400.

At the dealer they went through my battery and all my modules and reset the battery management system which must be done each time you change a battery. I recall and there isn’t a record of my salesman mentioning that they “sanded” my brake pads slightly and did something/changed my delivery battery before I took possession. It will remain a mystery. They found a targeted software update that addressed my map lag or blackness in front of the driver and installed it. By the way I got an update ball but no info related to it nor did my 2.0.8 main software version change. My Live Apps software versions also remained unchanged. BUT the screen display in front of driver now is more instantaneous than before -for now

I am perplexed as to why that fix was not part of a normal SOTA update?? The software process questions continue for all of us.

What happed on my roughly 1 1/2 hour of driving home? The car drove very well as always without either of the 2 occasional issues. This morning I continued my checking of system voltage after an overnight in the garage and the voltage was 12.2. I find this strange personally as I would NEVER accept a 60-70 % AGM battery state of charge as normal on our boat while resting just for longevity reasons. Resetting the battery management brain or really the electrical capacity tank gage should have changed the result in my mind. We actually have to do this with the AGM charging system in boats sometimes. I am now topping off my battery with the CTEK unit and will take it through to pulse mode.

QUESTION - Does anyone else know what their battery voltage is first thing each morning? Maybe this is “normal” to have around 12.2-12.4 showing.

I did stay away from testing at the actual battery or charging there due to the many cautions about destroying a module that is attached to one of the battery leads. I also certainly didn’t want to disconnect the battery to charge it. My service advisor saw no issues with what I did and I assume if a charging unit can read voltage at the posts under hood to change modes then it is a reasonable place to do so. I also checked the battery voltage with the vehicle running and read 15 volts which seems reasonable as well for a bulk charge. My charger which I really like found no faults or no lack in ability to hold a charge.

All for now - thanks for any input from others on this battery question.
Extremely interesting. Either the battery is unhappy or the charging logic module is flawed.

Without the system throwing off a fault code, one wonders how the dealer can be reimbursed by JLR HQ for replacing either one. Ummph ....

Old 02-28-2021, 08:30 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Software / Info continues to amaze me. Things working generally fine - today - all my favorites on Sirius disappeared. No software update either. Still running on 2.0.8. Anyone have this bizarre issue? I have not had this issue since early software releases. What is weird - there have been no changes to my system and favorites lost... . .

Old 02-28-2021, 11:11 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had some strange software issues since Thursday. The car deleted my profile so custom settings all gone. Last night driving home I had the collision alert go off in the middle of an intersection at 55mph.

Old 03-01-2021, 08:10 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my custom profiles spontaneous delete twice now. It does not seem related to software updates. OS version 2.0.8a P3DV

Old 05-10-2021, 11:55 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry for opening this up again....

Thought I’d ask the question. First world problems but does anyone have a defender 2020 110 First Edition? If so…when you create a profile…do you have the option to assign a key to the user? Even if you don’t…when you switch between users in the pivi pro system do you settings change for THAT user?
My system doesn’t seem to save settings across profiles. I like my dashboard setup different to other drivers of the vehicle but it doesn’t save to the profile. So I end up keeping it setup the way they like it to avoid the technology conversations.

Also - I do not get any connected apps displayed. I have installed them via my incontrol account....

My version is stuck on 2.01a, it even says it updated on May 7th 2021 :P

Old 05-10-2021, 12:37 PM
AUH
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Do software updates download over mobile data (SIM card) or when connected to WiFi at home and car is off/locked? I am still on 2.08 and not seeing any updates available. I connected my Defender to WiFi at home as well as my iPhone personal hotspot. Today I put a data SIM card in the nano SIM slot and it still says I am up to date. I did notice though after I put the data SIM cars that my nav map now shows satellite view (wasn’t working before). Please let me know if there are any suggestions to trigger the check/download of a the software updates.

Old 05-10-2021, 10:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

There doesn't seem to be anyway to trigger the software update process. The truck will let you know when you can do the update (if it doesn't just do an update unprompted).

The following users liked this post:
AUH (05-11-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 12:27 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2022 Defender Software Update Failure

We were delivered our new Defender around July 1 2021.Two days ago 8/27/2021 upon starting the car, got the message that driver assist features are disabled. Car said a software update is available, so I followed instructions to update and it failed. Tried again and it failed again. Tried over and over again and it failed over and over.
Did a factory reset of the car, connected car to wifi at the hotel we’re staying at, tried update again. This time after overnight wait it said battery low??? Started the car, still getting message that driver assist features disabled. Checked software update – says it is up to date, but no software version indicated. No option to update software now.

Now what?

Old 08-29-2021, 12:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_Newman
We were delivered our new Defender around July 1 2021.Two days ago 8/27/2021 upon starting the car, got the message that driver assist features are disabled. Car said a software update is available, so I followed instructions to update and it failed. Tried again and it failed again. Tried over and over again and it failed over and over.
Did a factory reset of the car, connected car to wifi at the hotel we’re staying at, tried update again. This time after overnight wait it said battery low??? Started the car, still getting message that driver assist features disabled. Checked software update – says it is up to date, but no software version indicated. No option to update software now.

Now what?
Just drive the truck. I get the "assist unavailable" messages every couple of days on startup. Within 15 ft of driving everything works as expected.

Old 08-29-2021, 04:16 PM
Winching
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts

are these computers or LR's ?

Quick Reply: Annoying Software Update