2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoying Software Update

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 05:51 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so pissed I could spit. I drove the Defender like carlmuck suggested - no good, but the software update message came up again, so I tried one more time. Let it go about 50 minutes, got back in the car and it was bricked.

Two hours later I got back in and the main screen said: installing [OS 2.1.0e P2c6]... Hazard warning lghts and side lights will be intertmittently disabled during upgrade. It flashed on and off, then went dark. Starting the car worked, but I still have the warning "driver assist features disabled" Checking the software update status is the same as before: up to date, but no software version indicated, nothing else. I'm not going to risk doing another upgrade and will finish our road vacation without cruise control, etc.

At least I can drive it. Not a happy customer.

Old 08-30-2021, 07:19 PM
Drifting
Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm having the same issue. I left it at the dealership for over a week to solve it and finally needed my car back.....

Old 08-31-2021, 12:09 PM
4th Gear

Did the dealer give you a loaner for the duration of the service to upgrade the software?

Old 08-31-2021, 12:16 PM
Drifting
Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts

No, it was only supposed to take a day or two. They were pretty lame in general, wish I could take it to an indy shop, but want to keep the warranty intact since I got the extended one.

Old 08-31-2021, 12:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb
No, it was only supposed to take a day or two. They were pretty lame in general, wish I could take it to an indy shop, but want to keep the warranty intact since I got the extended one.
I learned my lesson with Jaguar. Loaner no matter what, even with an oil change. Last time it took 3 days because they broke a cap.

The following users liked this post:
BigDanSRQ (09-04-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 05:40 PM
Vin
Mudding
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

There may be an issue with the last OTA update as I started getting a ‘stability control disabled’ error message and amber light in the instrument panel upon startup immediately after the update. The dealership said they had to update the body control module and it cleared the error.

Also, I had trouble with getting an update to work a few months ago until I removed everything from the USB and USB-C ports. (I plug AirPlay2Car in the USB port and use the USB-C port to charge my AirPods).

Old 09-21-2021, 07:44 AM
4th Gear

I took our 2022 Defender with the limp software that won’t update and with no driver assist features to the dealer yesterday. They couldn’t fix it and are asking Land Rover for technical assistance. I have to wait a month now so we can get a loaner.

Old 09-22-2021, 07:49 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 75 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LR4USN
Picked up this past Monday, Sept 18 build - One for the record, I posted in another thread, I have no version at all. Service Manager, noted the SOTA server is down, but he didn't seem concerned I'm version-less. (via email with service mgr)

Has anyone definitively answered why there are some Defenders with no version numbers listed for software? Mine is the same. Picked it up three weeks ago and everything seems to work fine and I can confirm it is connected via 4G and via wireless when at home. However, I see the same thing on my software update screen. Says it's up to date but has no version number listed. Heard in another conversation that it might be because they don't show a version number until they complete their first OTA update? That seems wrong to me but can anyone confirm?

Other than the no version listed, the only thing that is quirky and just won't work on mine is voice texting. I can say "Send message to..." and name a contact and it will think and think and think and then eventually say "There is no connectivity. I cannot dictate a message at this time." But it reads me my incoming text messages fine and if you choose on of the canned responses like "I'm driving" it sends that back instantly. Anyone run into this issue? Could it be related to the no software version displaying? Not a big deal, since I mostly use CarPlay and that works perfectly. It's the just the only quirky thing I've found on the Defender and want it to operate as it should.

Old 09-22-2021, 09:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Siddious33
Has anyone definitively answered why there are some Defenders with no version numbers listed for software? Mine is the same. Picked it up three weeks ago and everything seems to work fine and I can confirm it is connected via 4G and via wireless when at home. However, I see the same thing on my software update screen. Says it's up to date but has no version number listed. Heard in another conversation that it might be because they don't show a version number until they complete their first OTA update? That seems wrong to me but can anyone confirm?

Other than the no version listed, the only thing that is quirky and just won't work on mine is voice texting. I can say "Send message to..." and name a contact and it will think and think and think and then eventually say "There is no connectivity. I cannot dictate a message at this time." But it reads me my incoming text messages fine and if you choose on of the canned responses like "I'm driving" it sends that back instantly. Anyone run into this issue? Could it be related to the no software version displaying? Not a big deal, since I mostly use CarPlay and that works perfectly. It's the just the only quirky thing I've found on the Defender and want it to operate as it should.

they all start like this. It simply reflects the fact that your car still has the software it left the factory with. You won’t see any software version displayed until you get your first update. Mine took maybe three to four weeks or so to get the first update.

The following 2 users liked this post by swajames:
BigDanSRQ (09-23-2021), GrouseK9 (09-22-2021)