2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoying Software Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 11:55 PM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

I don't want to jinx myself, but Pivi Pro appears to FINALLY be quite stable since the update to 2.0.7 (and a number of Live Apps must still be updating in the background since, my last update was received today, 1/1/21 according to the Live Apps screen.) Haven't had to reset the system in a couple of weeks, weather and all music apps I subscribe to - Spotify, Deezer, TuneIn - pop up quickly and work, nothing freezes. Presets stay... preset. Screen is still slow to react to the touch sometimes, especially after the system first starts, but eventually it becomes quite responsive. Stealth mode for interior lights and screens finally works well, my wi-fi and hotspot have stayed on, no more occasional Euro speed limit signs popping up. No more errant Adaptive Cruise Control or Emergency Lane Keep Assist / Emergency Steering Not Available faults. AHBA turned off on me "behind the scenes" once 10 days ago, but it's stayed on since. Overall, progress to report here, hopefully I am not the only one to notice the improvements - major ones considering where I was just a month ago, having to reset the system almost daily.

I have discovered some features that I didn't know about - not sure if they were always there and I just accidentally stumbled into them, but I figured I would share. If you use Android Auto, you can access either the car's voice recognition or the Google Assistant from the same voice button on the steering wheel, no need to touch the microphone button on the Android Auto touchscreen interface or start yelling "Hey Google!" or "Hey Land Rover!" over the music that's playing... Press the voice button briefly to start the car's built-in voice system - which sometimes takes a moment or two to start - or press and hold for a second to access Google Assistant (and switch the touchscreen monitor to Android Auto if you were out of it.) Don't know if the same is true for Apple CarPlay as I don't have an iPhone to test.

"Stealth mode" is very cool for long trips at night. It turns off touchscreen display, door LEDs and front console / mood color LEDs (if so equipped), and dims everything else in the car except Stop/Start button to the lowest setting, really allowing you to concentrate on the road ahead without any distracting lights from the cabin. Only other thing that doesn't dim or extinguish, and I wish it did, is the obnoxious orange passenger airbag warning light above the rear view mirror. Try enabling it now that Land Rover has fixed it, it's great. I have actually programmed the Favorite button on the steering wheel - the diamond shaped icon on the left keypad - to turn on Stealth mode with a long press, and turn it off with another long press. Short pressing the same button will mute / unmute the audio system in my car, but you can assign a number of other features to that button in the settings, if you wish.

A stable infotainment system that displays what you expect and plays what you want really increases the driving enjoyment of the car itself, so hopefully Land Rover is finally getting a grip of the very capable Pivi Pro and giving us what it promised.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:43 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

@Umbertob - I agree as I'm running the current version. I was surprised to see yesterday that the update kept my home wifi connection, as the previous version removed it.

I wish we could set a camera view via the preset button.

Still loving my Pangea Panda, that's for sure - and finishing up fitting classic mudflaps today

Old 01-03-2021, 08:32 AM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Seems my comments didn’t load yesterday. I agree that the system is stable at this time which is very nice. Since 2.0.7 I have had a couple of emergency brake and steering warnings which are legit as if I select LKA it warns that emergency steering is not available. They always correct on next ignition cycle if there are a few minutes between them - not an immediate stop restart. Seems like a system check startup bug.

I was prompted by a blue update ball by my icon on start to login to InContol. Strange the app was logged in at that time as best as I could tell, but I did and I was also prompted to create a pin which would log me in so I didn’t have to use credentials again. I get a momentary presentation of that keypad on the PIVI each start now. Thought this might be them trying to get the ROUTE app going but it still won’t work and I can’t find where I am supposed to save vehicle position in settings. That’s an odd one. By the way there were no changes in LIVE Apps update or System Software update versions after getting that blue update ball by the icon. Might be a warning function to someone who is not logged in

On occasion since 2.0.7 my driver info section freezes since w.0.7 - mine is in map. Checking the PIVI at the same time shows normal map function. I don’t know if that is what happens when the maps update or what. Yesterday I tried looking at 4x4 info at that time and it too was frozen on driver info section but not on PIVI. Again all was fine after shutdown and sitting for a brief period of time. so it seems as if the data feed from PIVI to driver screen info section occasionally freezes for some reason.

My wake word which had been fine since about 2.0.4 suddenly wasn’t responsive after 2.0.7. I just deleted and re-made and it is fine. I think something changed there. Previously I had HEY ROVER recorded but after 2.0.7 I think I needed to say HEY “HEY ROVER”. Reset it to just ROVER and now it works when I say HEY ROVER?

Going through the software updates since taking delivery has certainly been a welcome distraction from the rest of the world in 2020. My wife is now accusing me of looking for excuses to drive the rover anywhere. I actually do

Old 01-03-2021, 08:40 AM
Mudding

Just saw this. I had to remake my wake word after 2.0.7 and now it is fine again. Weather is one of the INControl apps so making sure you have an account established and are logged in could help there. My latest version of WEATHER app is 2.5.0 from 11/04/2020.

Old 01-03-2021, 10:27 AM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Freemey
I was also prompted to create a pin which would log me in so I didn’t have to use credentials again. I get a momentary presentation of that keypad on the PIVI each start now.
There should be a "Remember my PIN" box (or something to that effect), next or under the keypad, that you can check the next time it pops up. After you check that, the system shouldn't prompt you anymore.

Old 01-04-2021, 09:22 AM
Mudding

Thanks Umbertob- as I recall the box under it is “forgotten pin” I do seem to recall telling it to remember credentials when I first set it up. I’ll look again today. The box only presents momentarily. I don’t understand the purpose if I am signed in already.

Old 01-05-2021, 01:28 PM
Mudding

Umbertob you were right about remember box. The odd thing is when I go through the SETTINGS tree under profiles I had a log out button which seemed to indicate to me anyway I was logged in and below it was a grayed out remember pin option which I could not turn on - strange. I went back and upon start I tapped on my upper left icon and then received the prompt to login with pin and the remember box you mentioned. I checked the box and no more keypads on start. By the way I went back to profiles I. Settings and now the previously grayed out box to remember pin was checked.

Some strange pathways which I imagine will be corrected. I also activated Stealth Mode and set it up as short press shortcut-NICE Thanks again

My wife is endlessly entertained as I touch buttons and new things happen. At least I think she is entertained when she is shaking her head-could be just me

Old 01-05-2021, 04:04 PM
SM8
7th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Defender 'dead' after latest software update

Did the latest software update on Sunday to my Defender 2020. Came back to it 6 hours later and could get into the car, but everything was dead. Left it until the morning and again everything was dead. Looked like it had 'hung' during the update (ie car unusable / flashers not working etc) had to have it towed / lifted to the LR dealership and they are looking at it now. Anyone else have same problem? Very frustrating.

Old 01-05-2021, 04:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Thanks for sharing this, SM8. Please let us know what the dealer says they had to do to fix it permanently (?).

Candidly, what you describe is a fear of mine (losing use of the vehicle) with this whole new world of "electronic fairy upgrades through the sky" to an automobile's computer -- even when the vehicle is shut-off. I will continue to not update without another vehicle available to me at the same location.

I hope your situation is resolved quickly.

Old 01-05-2021, 04:17 PM
SM8
7th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks will keep you posted. I purposely didn't do it over the holidays, just in case something went wrong, and it did, literally worst case scenario.

Quick Reply: Annoying Software Update