Brake upgrade Brembo 380mm

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2023 | 06:05 AM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by aubbbrey
What color code was used for the calipers? They look very good
HI,
Thanks for your comment, the color they told me was the original Brembo Land Rover Defender, unfortunately I don't have the codes.
I relied on this professional for the painting. I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules.

Marco

https://www.google.it/url?sa=t&rct=j...kbVINLtl4K1sDD

Old 03-19-2023 | 06:08 AM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by GavinC
Great info on the brake bleeding.

I just did mine a while ago without a diagnostic tool. Seems like I didn't bleed the outlined section. Ignorance was bliss. No I'll need to redo.

Which diagnostic tool did you use? Is it straight forward to put it in service mode.

Amazing work.

Hello,
actually I didn't think it was that complicated either.
I used the new Gap id Tool, this allows service location.

Marco

The following users liked this post:
GavinC (03-19-2023)
Old 03-19-2023 | 06:16 AM
|
Three Wheeling
Smile

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Could these be the most ominous words in any car-project write-up?
HEllo,
you are right..... when this happened he had already paid a lot of money and a lot of time, it was a disappointment, in fact I wanted to sell everything and leave the original car.
I was worried about removing the hubs without disassembling the whole car, think that I also bought everything needed for the rear, with 365mm discs, the problem is that for the rear you have to disassemble the hub carriers, and use a press to remove the bearings.
I don't know when I'll have time and desire to do it.

Old 03-19-2023 | 09:29 AM
Pro Wrench

Impressive in a mad genius sort of way.

I think I understand that you did this primarily to control heat during mountain driving.

How deep into the math did you get to make sure braking is still balanced?

Assuming these provide improved stopping power to the front axle, this is also transferring weight to the front end during braking. Didi you do anything to balance that?

On paper, it has to increase understeer which would degrade stopping distance. Maybe less so in a straight stop but definitely in a hard corner. Have you pushed it into some turns to see any change?

Depending on how sticky your tires are, seems like this would put front tires closer to the edge of traction. Does that trigger the nanny safety systems more often?

​​​​​​​It really is a fascinating mod.

Old 03-19-2023 | 09:56 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by mmbanf
Hello,
actually I didn't think it was that complicated either.
I used the new Gap id Tool, this allows service location.

Marco
@mmbanf

Cheers Marco

Thanks for the info. That's the one I'll get. Was looking at getting it some time back. Sounds like there is another brake bleed in my future. Coming to a messy garage near me.
Brake Bleed 2.
The rebleedening.

Old 03-19-2023 | 11:20 AM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
Impressive in a mad genius sort of way.

I think I understand that you did this primarily to control heat during mountain driving.

How deep into the math did you get to make sure braking is still balanced?

Assuming these provide improved stopping power to the front axle, this is also transferring weight to the front end during braking. Didi you do anything to balance that?

On paper, it has to increase understeer which would degrade stopping distance. Maybe less so in a straight stop but definitely in a hard corner. Have you pushed it into some turns to see any change?

Depending on how sticky your tires are, seems like this would put front tires closer to the edge of traction. Does that trigger the nanny safety systems more often?

It really is a fascinating mod.
​​​​​​​
HI,
I've thought a lot about this.
I haven't noticed any changes in balance when braking, the feeling of the brake hasn't changed, on the contrary, initially it seemed to me that more pressure was needed to stop the car.
I tried emergency braking and the car doesn't break down, as I said, the improvement can be seen in the resistance to fatigue, not in the immediate readiness.
in physical terms, the pressure of the electro-hydraulic pump is the same as before, now it is distributed over six front pumping elements, previously over two larger ones and a smaller disc.
rear remained the same.
In the car's ccf file configuration there are parameters concerning the diameter of the front and rear brake discs, and also a sport function on the master cylinder, perhaps these parameters vary the system pressure.
Unfortunately if I edit these files I get an abs error, they are probably related to other ccf parameters.
Another ccf file function that modifies the feeling of the brake pedal is also interesting. I modified this one to make the braking action more progressive than the original.
many things still to be discovered, however as now the defender works very well.

Old 03-19-2023 | 11:50 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by mmbanf
HI,
I've thought a lot about this.
I haven't noticed any changes in balance when braking, the feeling of the brake hasn't changed, on the contrary, initially it seemed to me that more pressure was needed to stop the car.
I tried emergency braking and the car doesn't break down, as I said, the improvement can be seen in the resistance to fatigue, not in the immediate readiness.
in physical terms, the pressure of the electro-hydraulic pump is the same as before, now it is distributed over six front pumping elements, previously over two larger ones and a smaller disc.
rear remained the same.
In the car's ccf file configuration there are parameters concerning the diameter of the front and rear brake discs, and also a sport function on the master cylinder, perhaps these parameters vary the system pressure.
Unfortunately if I edit these files I get an abs error, they are probably related to other ccf parameters.
Another ccf file function that modifies the feeling of the brake pedal is also interesting. I modified this one to make the braking action more progressive than the original.
many things still to be discovered, however as now the defender works very well.
​​​​​​​Impressive. Nice work.

Old 04-03-2023 | 11:21 AM
|
Three Wheeling

hello, update with summer shoes.....