2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Defender without a markup?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 11:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 109 Posts

Hang in there, Xm83. I got my Bronco a couple of weeks ago. 2022 Wildtrak, hard top, with Lux, leather and towing. And I have to say - it's absolutely fantastic. My Defender is worth the premium, but the Bronco is well worth its price too. It does get more attention than the Defender, but then again it has the 35" diameter wheels and it's Cyber Orange....

The following users liked this post:
Xm83 (04-27-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 03:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

Ironically (sadly?), I can't count the number of people who see the Defender and ask me about my "Bronco". I just laugh.

The following 2 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
Gusser-d110 (04-27-2022), Xm83 (04-27-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 09:23 PM
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default $1000 Below MSRP

In Albany NY I was able to purchase my P400 D110 a few months ago for $1,000 under MSRP. I am a repeat customer of the dealership. The market is kind of small in Albany so the dealership realizes that when this craziness is over they want to make sure they did right by their customers.

The following 5 users liked this post by Gusser-d110:
Craig_RRS2013 (05-31-2022), GrouseK9 (04-28-2022), markjlr (04-28-2022), WMN (04-28-2022), Xm83 (04-27-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 05:12 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
No markup in most of Florida for local buyers and $10k typical for out of state buyers. We have a new dealer here with some available on the lot - DM me if you're serious.
I know your post is about 11 months old but I am now looking for a Defender and have not much luck avoiding big markups. I am local in Florida

Old 05-31-2022, 05:43 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 12061205
I know your post is about 11 months old but I am now looking for a Defender and have not much luck avoiding big markups. I am local in Florida
What part of Florida are you looking?

Old 05-31-2022, 05:47 PM
3rd Gear

Tampa Bay

Old 05-31-2022, 06:11 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 12061205
Tampa Bay
Are you trying to order one or buy one off the lot?

Old 05-31-2022, 06:16 PM
3rd Gear

Order one, are you affiliated with a dealer? My email is nutrasan@gmail.com, we can speak directly -- Thanks, Mario

Old 06-02-2022, 02:46 PM
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Used Defender for 18k over MSRP, New Defender for MSRP??

Here is my story from a few months ago. It actually started on this thread We were in the market to replace our 2018 Wrangler with something newer and more refined. We actually were thinking of keeping the Wrangler in the family for a couple years and were looking for something fun, quirky but still a bit adventurous. We decided to take a look at the new Defender. This was in early February. One afternoon we were driving by Land Rover Ray Catena in Edison . We wanted to take our first look at the Defender and was able to sit in one in the showroom and check it out. I had been looking a little bit at pricing and knew there was a very wide range of prices for different and Defender models and options, when I look at the one on the showroom floor and it said $87,999 on the windshield I was a little surprised thinking that was a little high. We were really really impressed with the Defender, especially with that interior. We talked it over and set up an appointment for later in the week for a test drive. I started to do my research I learned that the actual floor model we sat in had 5000 or more miles on it and they were asking $17,000 over the original sticker. The Defender we looked at and eventually took on a test drive was the one featured earlier in this thread. At this point and told my wife this probably isn't gonna happen this time but we decided to take a test drive anyway. On the test drive I told the salesman that I knew this was an used Defender and that there was quite a markup on it so we wouldn't be looking at this one. We did ask what would be the price if we ordered one. He said if we ordered one and waited for it we can get for MSRP. At this time we were fine with waiting and ordering one, but I was curious about the six cylinder and wanted to try out the six cylinder version, as the demo was a four cylinder. We came back to the dealership and after a few minutes our salesman (who I have to say was one of the nicer and more honest salesman that we dealt with over the years of buying cars) said that they were just getting a six cylinder in that day and we might be able to take it for a ride. We had a wait about 45 minutes for them to prep it as they literally were taking off the truck as we spoke. We decided to be worth the wait and a little while later we headed over to their back lot where we saw the green Defender110 still with some protective wrapping on it waiting for us. We took it out for a short ride and were quickly sold on the smoothness and power of the six. The sticker on this one was similar to the one on the showroom floor, about $71,000, Although this one had the six and full power seats, it was missing the air suspension and the rear camera mirror. The model on the showroom floor also had the roof rack and ladder. I asked the salesman what they were doing with that one, and he said it was not accounted for and he can give it to me for MSRP. After a quick conversation with my wife we decided to jump on it. We went back to the dealer and just before we signed the papers, I asked, for ****s and giggles, what is the lowest they would accept for the demo model. He said they just turned down $15,000 over MSRP. This all happened on Friday night and we would not be able to pick up our Defender until Monday. Even though we signed paperwork and a given a small deposit, I told my wife don't be surprised if something comes up and they ask for more money and if they did, we're not going to do it. We came back on Monday and I had a huge sigh of relief when our Defender was parked right and front all prepped and ready. When we finally sat with our salesman to finalize the deal, (and thankfully, he didn't pull any last minute shenanigans)...he pointed to the spot the Demo Defender was on the floor and said, Sold it Saturday, 18k over. By the way Couldn't be happier with ours!

The following 3 users liked this post by W1NGMAN:
Eitan (03-22-2023), GrouseK9 (06-02-2022), mopadzi (06-03-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 01:56 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

I posted this in the "Wild Price Gouging" thread too - I'll try to update both of them.

I know this is a long-going thread. FWIW, I recently moved from Phoenix to Seattle. I've been wanting a new Defender since they came out - was biding my time for both my own finances and also first year or two build quality, etc... and then BAM - COVID.

So anyway, I'm up in Seattle now, but have purchased 4 vehicles from Land Rover North Scottsdale in the past before I moved away. Now that I'm in a position to purchase a Defender, I started calling around to the dealerships in the Seattle area (Land Rover Seattle in Lynnwood, Land Rover Bellevue, and Land Rover of Tacoma). All of them back in February wanted either a $10k or $15k markup - so I told them to kick rocks. I tried the dealer in Portland, and they said they wouldn't sell out of their AOR - "Area of Responsibility". *shrugs*

Last week Land Rover Seattle offered me $10K over MSRP (my build is approx $88k) with $2.5K in some exterior protection, $2.5k in some interior protection, and $5k in some extended dealer warranty. I said I didn't want any dealer add-ons or dealer extended warranty, and they replied "these are non-optional add-ons; it'll be $10k over MSRP whether you take them or not." (Spoiler alert - I did not take them up on their offer). I went back to Land Rover of Tacoma - they initially said $10k ADM. I informed them I had an excellent relationship with an AZ dealer (did not specify which one), and although I was trying to start a relationship with a local dealer, I was not afraid to go purchase elsewhere.

The sales person kindly "did some research for me" and told me he found out that AZ wasn't ordering any more Defenders. (Who is "AZ"? What dealer? There are at least 4 I can count - Tucson, Arrowhead, Chandler, Scottsdale - I think that's all...).Then they offered to order for me with $4k markup to include Lo-Jack and Pro Trim. (I didn't know what Pro Trim is, Google told me it's weight loss supplements?!". Turns out that Pro Trim is the door edge guards and the door handle cups... for $395. and Lo Jack costs them $995. Then he said it would be a $4k markup whether I wanted those add-ons or not...

So I promptly called Land Rover North Scottsdale, my old sales rep isn't there any more but a very helpful internet sales person looked up my profile, asked his manager about selling and registering a vehicle out of state, and said they would happily order my build for me and sell it to me for MSRP + tax, tags, and doc fees. No forced add-ons - although I gladly took the $795 tint job they do (whoever that dealer uses is awesome - all 4 of my previous vehicles from there had great tint that looked factory - a necessity in the AZ sun!). When I told him that dealer in Tacoma WA had informed me that "AZ isn't taking any more orders" he laughed - hard. I asked the sales person in Tacoma where he came up with that BS, and he said "I called and spoke to a salesman and that is what I was told directly so hopefully you are getting the truth as some sales people believe in asking for forgiveness and not being honest." Yeah, I think I'll trust the dealer that I've worked and purchased 4x vehicles previously!

Long story short - I am not sure if Land Rover North Scottsdale would do this for everyone (as I am a long-time customer), or if Penske has different internal guidelines, but they are happy to order me a Defender at MSRP - and I have it in writing. I'll update this weekend / next week once the order is confirmed! (Then we start the allocation and build time waiting game!) -Matty

The following 2 users liked this post by Matty79:
GavinC (06-04-2022), rangeallblack (06-12-2022)

Quick Reply: Buying a Defender without a markup?