2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Defender without a markup?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2022, 10:19 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a similar experience in the Northeast. I shopped around the greater DC area and the closest dealer said that they had the "lowest markup" in the area. The process however was very ignominious as I had to spend close to an hour haggling with the sales rep that I neither want nor need their "add-ons". The process just left a bad taste in my mouth and the dealer just felt "shady" - something I would not expect from a luxury brand. In comparison, while a generalization, for the most part I felt like Mercedes has done a good job with this.

My fiance lives in New England so I called around and visited a dealership in Hartford and my experience was night and day. Not only was the process seamless, the sales rep and whole dealership treated me like an adult and with dignity. I ended up preordering a defender at MSRP.

The issue I am facing now, and am curious how it worked our for others is, my original invoice agreed upon pre-order price was lower but prices have went up and don't know if the dealership will honor my original invoice price.

Old 06-04-2022, 10:50 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,507 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Originally Posted by Matty79
I posted this in the "Wild Price Gouging" thread too - I'll try to update both of them.

I know this is a long-going thread. FWIW, I recently moved from Phoenix to Seattle. I've been wanting a new Defender since they came out - was biding my time for both my own finances and also first year or two build quality, etc... and then BAM - COVID.

So anyway, I'm up in Seattle now, but have purchased 4 vehicles from Land Rover North Scottsdale in the past before I moved away. Now that I'm in a position to purchase a Defender, I started calling around to the dealerships in the Seattle area (Land Rover Seattle in Lynnwood, Land Rover Bellevue, and Land Rover of Tacoma). All of them back in February wanted either a $10k or $15k markup - so I told them to kick rocks. I tried the dealer in Portland, and they said they wouldn't sell out of their AOR - "Area of Responsibility". *shrugs*

Last week Land Rover Seattle offered me $10K over MSRP (my build is approx $88k) with $2.5K in some exterior protection, $2.5k in some interior protection, and $5k in some extended dealer warranty. I said I didn't want any dealer add-ons or dealer extended warranty, and they replied "these are non-optional add-ons; it'll be $10k over MSRP whether you take them or not." (Spoiler alert - I did not take them up on their offer). I went back to Land Rover of Tacoma - they initially said $10k ADM. I informed them I had an excellent relationship with an AZ dealer (did not specify which one), and although I was trying to start a relationship with a local dealer, I was not afraid to go purchase elsewhere.

The sales person kindly "did some research for me" and told me he found out that AZ wasn't ordering any more Defenders. (Who is "AZ"? What dealer? There are at least 4 I can count - Tucson, Arrowhead, Chandler, Scottsdale - I think that's all...).Then they offered to order for me with $4k markup to include Lo-Jack and Pro Trim. (I didn't know what Pro Trim is, Google told me it's weight loss supplements?!". Turns out that Pro Trim is the door edge guards and the door handle cups... for $395. and Lo Jack costs them $995. Then he said it would be a $4k markup whether I wanted those add-ons or not...

So I promptly called Land Rover North Scottsdale, my old sales rep isn't there any more but a very helpful internet sales person looked up my profile, asked his manager about selling and registering a vehicle out of state, and said they would happily order my build for me and sell it to me for MSRP + tax, tags, and doc fees. No forced add-ons - although I gladly took the $795 tint job they do (whoever that dealer uses is awesome - all 4 of my previous vehicles from there had great tint that looked factory - a necessity in the AZ sun!). When I told him that dealer in Tacoma WA had informed me that "AZ isn't taking any more orders" he laughed - hard. I asked the sales person in Tacoma where he came up with that BS, and he said "I called and spoke to a salesman and that is what I was told directly so hopefully you are getting the truth as some sales people believe in asking for forgiveness and not being honest." Yeah, I think I'll trust the dealer that I've worked and purchased 4x vehicles previously!

Long story short - I am not sure if Land Rover North Scottsdale would do this for everyone (as I am a long-time customer), or if Penske has different internal guidelines, but they are happy to order me a Defender at MSRP - and I have it in writing. I'll update this weekend / next week once the order is confirmed! (Then we start the allocation and build time waiting game!) -Matty
Welcome to the forum and the PNW. Dealers around here don't seem to worry about lost sales on price. I was in the Bellevue dealership the other week looking at an old D90 (a 1996 I think it was) just for fun as I was killing time. The new V8 90 next to it with a 50k ADM was suddenly reduced by 30k when I was speaking with the salesbro.

I'm not in the market for either but was surprised to see things are softening up a bit.

Defenders do seem to be selling very fast even with the ADMs in place. It's great you got one at MSRP. When I got mine at MSRP in October 21, I thought WTH am I thinking but seems to be a good deal now.

With summer coming and the snow in retreat, our playground for these great machines is about to get a whole lot bigger.

Old 06-04-2022, 03:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dfnder
I've had a similar experience in the Northeast. I shopped around the greater DC area and the closest dealer said that they had the "lowest markup" in the area. The process however was very ignominious as I had to spend close to an hour haggling with the sales rep that I neither want nor need their "add-ons". The process just left a bad taste in my mouth and the dealer just felt "shady" - something I would not expect from a luxury brand. In comparison, while a generalization, for the most part I felt like Mercedes has done a good job with this.

My fiance lives in New England so I called around and visited a dealership in Hartford and my experience was night and day. Not only was the process seamless, the sales rep and whole dealership treated me like an adult and with dignity. I ended up preordering a defender at MSRP.

The issue I am facing now, and am curious how it worked our for others is, my original invoice agreed upon pre-order price was lower but prices have went up and don't know if the dealership will honor my original invoice price.
Regarding your last statement about pricing changes, the deposit form I signed indicated that they are going to charge me MSRP / sticker price when it arrives - they cannot 100% guarantee that it will be the MSRP on the build I submitted that was from ... a few days ago. I'm hoping that doesn't come around to bite me in the a** - but that just depends on how JLR NA wants to set their pricing I suppose. On an 88K build, what's +/- a grand I guess?

The following users liked this post:
Dfnder (06-05-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 03:32 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by GavinC
Welcome to the forum and the PNW. Dealers around here don't seem to worry about lost sales on price. I was in the Bellevue dealership the other week looking at an old D90 (a 1996 I think it was) just for fun as I was killing time. The new V8 90 next to it with a 50k ADM was suddenly reduced by 30k when I was speaking with the salesbro.

I'm not in the market for either but was surprised to see things are softening up a bit.

Defenders do seem to be selling very fast even with the ADMs in place. It's great you got one at MSRP. When I got mine at MSRP in October 21, I thought WTH am I thinking but seems to be a good deal now.

With summer coming and the snow in retreat, our playground for these great machines is about to get a whole lot bigger.
Thanks for the welcome! I was reading through the Defenders in the Wild thread earlier and saw you were in the PNW. And - my build is a Tasmin Blue as well hehe. It's a 23MY X-Dynamic SE loaded up; we'll have to get them side by side sometime!

I'm pretty sure I'll miss summer in the Defender; I doubt I'll get mine until late fall or winter. Good excuse to go back and see friends in AZ at the end of the year for sure. For now, my Disco Sport and my partner's Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4 will have to get us around rural PNW His Tacoma is actually pretty close to Tasmin Blue - I forget the name of the Toyota color. Both will be up for sale later this year!

The following users liked this post:
GavinC (06-04-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 12:56 AM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Matty79
I posted this in the "Wild Price Gouging" thread too - I'll try to update both of them.

I know this is a long-going thread. FWIW, I recently moved from Phoenix to Seattle. I've been wanting a new Defender since they came out - was biding my time for both my own finances and also first year or two build quality, etc... and then BAM - COVID.

So anyway, I'm up in Seattle now, but have purchased 4 vehicles from Land Rover North Scottsdale in the past before I moved away. Now that I'm in a position to purchase a Defender, I started calling around to the dealerships in the Seattle area (Land Rover Seattle in Lynnwood, Land Rover Bellevue, and Land Rover of Tacoma). All of them back in February wanted either a $10k or $15k markup - so I told them to kick rocks. I tried the dealer in Portland, and they said they wouldn't sell out of their AOR - "Area of Responsibility". *shrugs*

Last week Land Rover Seattle offered me $10K over MSRP (my build is approx $88k) with $2.5K in some exterior protection, $2.5k in some interior protection, and $5k in some extended dealer warranty. I said I didn't want any dealer add-ons or dealer extended warranty, and they replied "these are non-optional add-ons; it'll be $10k over MSRP whether you take them or not." (Spoiler alert - I did not take them up on their offer). I went back to Land Rover of Tacoma - they initially said $10k ADM. I informed them I had an excellent relationship with an AZ dealer (did not specify which one), and although I was trying to start a relationship with a local dealer, I was not afraid to go purchase elsewhere.

The sales person kindly "did some research for me" and told me he found out that AZ wasn't ordering any more Defenders. (Who is "AZ"? What dealer? There are at least 4 I can count - Tucson, Arrowhead, Chandler, Scottsdale - I think that's all...).Then they offered to order for me with $4k markup to include Lo-Jack and Pro Trim. (I didn't know what Pro Trim is, Google told me it's weight loss supplements?!". Turns out that Pro Trim is the door edge guards and the door handle cups... for $395. and Lo Jack costs them $995. Then he said it would be a $4k markup whether I wanted those add-ons or not...

So I promptly called Land Rover North Scottsdale, my old sales rep isn't there any more but a very helpful internet sales person looked up my profile, asked his manager about selling and registering a vehicle out of state, and said they would happily order my build for me and sell it to me for MSRP + tax, tags, and doc fees. No forced add-ons - although I gladly took the $795 tint job they do (whoever that dealer uses is awesome - all 4 of my previous vehicles from there had great tint that looked factory - a necessity in the AZ sun!). When I told him that dealer in Tacoma WA had informed me that "AZ isn't taking any more orders" he laughed - hard. I asked the sales person in Tacoma where he came up with that BS, and he said "I called and spoke to a salesman and that is what I was told directly so hopefully you are getting the truth as some sales people believe in asking for forgiveness and not being honest." Yeah, I think I'll trust the dealer that I've worked and purchased 4x vehicles previously!

Long story short - I am not sure if Land Rover North Scottsdale would do this for everyone (as I am a long-time customer), or if Penske has different internal guidelines, but they are happy to order me a Defender at MSRP - and I have it in writing. I'll update this weekend / next week once the order is confirmed! (Then we start the allocation and build time waiting game!) -Matty
Nice, congrats on being able to order one at MSRP! Still no luck over here in California, so far most still want to charge 10-15k over sticker. Would you be willing to share/message your dealer's info? Curious to see if they would sell out of state. No worries though if not!

Old 06-14-2022, 09:10 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by rangeallblack
Nice, congrats on being able to order one at MSRP! Still no luck over here in California, so far most still want to charge 10-15k over sticker. Would you be willing to share/message your dealer's info? Curious to see if they would sell out of state. No worries though if not!
Hey there - sorry for the late reply - busy weekend. I ordered from Land Rover North Scottsdale. My previous sales contacts don’t work there any more, so I literally just filled out an online sales contact form. I’m not sure if they are ordering for me out of state because it’ll be my 5th vehicle through them, or if they would for anyone.

I wish you luck! Now I have to pick a service spot up here in Seattle…

Old 07-09-2022, 12:46 PM
Mudding
Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts

Both of my local dealers are taking orders at MSRP and have available build slots.

Old 07-09-2022, 12:50 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MAPC
Both of my local dealers are taking orders at MSRP and have available build slots.
what state are you located if i may ask?

Old 07-09-2022, 12:56 PM
Mudding
Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts

CT
I’ve talked to both Darien and Fairfield.

Old 07-09-2022, 03:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 109 Posts

Land Rover Akron (dealer I ordered through), and Land Rover Solon are MSRP only dealers in NE Ohio, $1000-2500 and $2500-5000 security deposits respectively. Land Rover Montrose Westside is also MSRP, but only for orders; $1000 security deposit. Ohio law requires S.D.‘s to be fully refundable.

Buddy of mine ordered through Land Rover San Diego and they are MSRP with orders as well, with $0 for a security deposit (lil fishy, either they want more defenders regardless if the customer takes it or not or they are gonna pull something).

Quick Reply: Buying a Defender without a markup?