Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In Car wifi password

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2022, 09:22 AM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default In Car wifi password

Is there a default password for in car wifi?
I bought this vehicle from Carvana (dont ever buy a car from Carvana)

I called the LR USA customer service and they said they would have to get back to me (that was yesterday) so figured I'd hop in here and ask -

The cellular/PIVI/WiFi is a bit confusing to me still, trying to find the info myself on what does what exactly. My laptop will connect to the wifi but it wants a password to continue through. LR USA said I have PIVI Diamond, so its free services until 2025 -

Thanks in advance for any help you have as well

Old 12-30-2022, 11:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,137 Likes on 613 Posts

Yep the In car wifi is awesome. So, in settings --> connectivity --> Hotspot / Wireless... there should be a place where it shows the password (?). I think you can just have it generate a new password by pressing the little button to the side of the existing password ... or just put what is currently there in your laptop. It'll be a wifi network called LR028932 or something similar. I believe it always starts with "LR" + 6 digits.

It is a bit confusing but in a 2020+ Defender in US market at least, there are 2 cellular connections in the car (if you have bought the wireless in-car wifi option at purchase, otherwise just 1 hotspot)
1) For the pivi / software updates - this one you can't access but it will show a little car icon with signal strength on top right
2) the other hotspot - for your in car wifi -- this shows a little wifi symbol with signal strength too just under the above one... "mobile data" in the menus. So you need to be connected to something for the car to generate an in car wifi signal for your devices (phone, laptop, kids, etc)

On top of that you can connect your car to your house wifi (or wherever you are) .. so that gets confusing. This is called "Wi-Fi" in the settings menu.

Also there is no such thing as Pivi diamond... what on earth did they tell you? haha. I think what they meant is that they don't have the UI / interface on LR InControl yet to renew it and take payment for it, (like BMW does for BMW connect).... so they just enabled everyone with the in car wifi option for a couple years instead of it expiring annually or whatever the original terms were. It doesn't show this in the in control app anymore (you have created an in control account, right??... and added your car??? if not do that) but if you go to in control.landrover.com you get something like this. It used to have an expiration date in 2022, then it stopped working, then I called LR and they reactivated it and it has no expiration date. Score lol

The following 2 users liked this post by nashvegas:
GrouseK9 (01-01-2023), MattF (12-30-2022)
Old 12-30-2022, 11:43 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Yep the In car wifi is awesome. So, in settings --> connectivity --> Hotspot / Wireless... there should be a place where it shows the password (?). I think you can just have it generate a new password by pressing the little button to the side of the existing password ... or just put what is currently there in your laptop. It'll be a wifi network called LR028932 or something similar. I believe it always starts with "LR" + 6 digits.

It is a bit confusing but in a 2020+ Defender in US market at least, there are 2 cellular connections in the car (if you have bought the wireless in-car wifi option at purchase, otherwise just 1 hotspot)
1) For the pivi / software updates - this one you can't access but it will show a little car icon with signal strength on top right
2) the other hotspot - for your in car wifi -- this shows a little wifi symbol with signal strength too just under the above one... "mobile data" in the menus. So you need to be connected to something for the car to generate an in car wifi signal for your devices (phone, laptop, kids, etc)

On top of that you can connect your car to your house wifi (or wherever you are) .. so that gets confusing. This is called "Wi-Fi" in the settings menu.

Also there is no such thing as Pivi diamond... what on earth did they tell you? haha. I think what they meant is that they don't have the UI / interface on LR InControl yet to renew it and take payment for it, (like BMW does for BMW connect).... so they just enabled everyone with the in car wifi option for a couple years instead of it expiring annually or whatever the original terms were. It doesn't show this in the in control app anymore (you have created an in control account, right??... and added your car??? if not do that) but if you go to in control.landrover.com you get something like this. It used to have an expiration date in 2022, then it stopped working, then I called LR and they reactivated it and it has no expiration date. Score lol

wow - first off, thank you for the detailed response. I have to laugh at the PIVI Diamond package in retrospect, I did google it but didn’t get anything back, but her words were “its the top of the line PIVI infotainment package offered” lol

So - it appears i do NOT have the in car wifi, as i do NOT have the “HOT SPOT” option on my screen, it skips that and goes from Wi-FI, to Wireless - but when in my vehicle i see the option to connect to : ”LR047496” but when i click on it, it requests a password….so I’m assuming that’s not even for me to personally utilize as a benefit.

Also, when in my incontrol account looking at services, it does not have the “WiFI Enabled with Data Plan” But i do have the other ones in your photo - I guess i need to understand more clearer what the online data pack is vs hotspot options.

Old 12-30-2022, 11:50 AM
Mudding

my system:

Old 12-30-2022, 11:57 AM
Pro Wrench

Hmm. That's indeed odd. Couple thoughts.... My gut says that if you're seeing that LR wifi network on your devices,.. something is indeed happening and the car does have a wifi network. I would think if you don't have it, that network wouldn't show up at all.

Can you go into software update and tell us your software version? I'm 3.3.0. (?) I wonder if you're on an older one. The newest is 3.3.1. They do futz around with menu locations and titles going from version to version in the interests of UI improvement.

Also what happens when you click the "wireless" option above in your photo? Can you post screenshots.

Old 12-30-2022, 02:15 PM
Mudding

Here are a few screenshots, looks like my software is also the newest up to date as well

While it shows I'm connected...I think it has something to do with the REMOTE app maybe? It lets me connect here, but nothing happens, and when I try to connect another device like laptop it asks for a password, my phone offers to share the password, and then it just says "you are not connected to the internet"

Old 12-30-2022, 02:53 PM
Pro Wrench

Ohhhhh. I think I know. CarPlay is via wifi. So that network is how your phone is connecting to your car via Wifi. Aha.

Old 12-30-2022, 02:58 PM
Mudding

I am extremely appreciative you've helped me with this - I believe you are right, I thought it was all bluetooth connected, but it would make sense as to why my phone already knew the password, which is like 20 random characters that no human would ever create themselves.

I also assume there is no way to upgrade to hotspot? seems it would have already needed to be installed at purchase. Though that would also surprise me, as it pretty much has everything else included the activity key. I was able to track down the original purchase order/options/equipment from the original dealer. No PIVI info was supplied though, but they did get the majority of all other random options.