2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked windshield

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 01:16 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

I was told by my local glass repair shop (that Land Rover refers to) that the replacement from LR was about a one week order. That was placed last Monday, so it theoretically should be in tomorrow. I’ll confirm when it gets in, but the delivery time I was given seems to be much shorter.

Mine has the heated glass if that makes any difference. Located in Tacoma WA.

Old 08-22-2021, 09:31 PM
Vin
Mudding
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

After hearing all the woes about chips and cracks, I bought ShatterX, which increases the hardness of the glass, just before a 600 miles road trip. I did have a couple of loud rock strikes, but thankfully no chips or cracks.

Old 08-22-2021, 11:32 PM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BRW110
I was told by my local glass repair shop (that Land Rover refers to) that the replacement from LR was about a one week order. That was placed last Monday, so it theoretically should be in tomorrow. I’ll confirm when it gets in, but the delivery time I was given seems to be much shorter.

Mine has the heated glass if that makes any difference. Located in Tacoma WA.
Ours is unheated. May be easier to get it fixed.

Old 08-23-2021, 09:57 AM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Vin
After hearing all the woes about chips and cracks, I bought ShatterX, which increases the hardness of the glass, just before a 600 miles road trip. I did have a couple of loud rock strikes, but thankfully no chips or cracks.
I was looking at this stuff. Is it legit? Seems to be well reviewed...

Old 08-23-2021, 09:59 AM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick4
I was looking at this stuff. Is it legit? Seems to be well reviewed...
My problem was no doubt caused by stress. No chips or rocks. Started at the pillar. Manufacturing defect.

Old 08-23-2021, 10:19 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,405 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by Vin
If this works as they claim, Elon could have saved himself a bit of embarrassment as he unveiled the Cybertruck.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (08-23-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 12:00 PM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkZ
My problem was no doubt caused by stress. No chips or rocks. Started at the pillar. Manufacturing defect.
That is interesting.

Mine started as a small chip very near the top on the left side of the rearview mirror. Within hours I had a 20ish inch crack snaking its way down the center then off through the passenger side. Just got it replaced after a 3 month wait.

Old 09-10-2021, 07:43 PM
Drifting
Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine cracked today … called Land Rover to order replacement. They said they’re on back order and are unable to give me ETA. 🤦🏼‍♂️
They seem to crack quite easily, anything I can do to protect the new one a bit more?

Old 09-10-2021, 10:04 PM
Winching
Received 245 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Pseftis
Mine cracked today … called Land Rover to order replacement. They said they’re on back order and are unable to give me ETA. 🤦🏼‍♂️
They seem to crack quite easily, anything I can do to protect the new one a bit more?
Besides having my defender's body wrapped in some PPF film I am having the windshield fitted with the DYNOflex windshield protection.

https://www.stekautomotive.com/ws/dynoflex/

It also has a 99% UV barrier so it will protect from sun damage.

Old 09-10-2021, 11:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 192 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Moretti
Besides having my defender's body wrapped in some PPF film I am having the windshield fitted with the DYNOflex windshield protection.

https://www.stekautomotive.com/ws/dynoflex/

It also has a 99% UV barrier so it will protect from sun damage.
Great info guys.

Do these products by chance affect wiper smoothness? These are all very interesting and temping. But if wipers start chattering that would be a dealbreaker for me.

Quick Reply: Cracked windshield